U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:12 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,526,113 times

Advertisements

So my DS had strep troat in the spring and took antibiotics for it and got better. Now, two months later he complained of a sore throat, no other complaints, no fever, but swollen glands so Friday afternoon I took him to the doctor. They tested him for strep and we had somewhere else to go, so they said they'd call me and the drugstore if the test was positive.

So we didn't hear anything and just went about our weekend and let DS do all his fun stuff, and he said he felt better.

BUT... I got a call on Monday morning - apparently he tested positive, they say they called my cell phone on Friday but the message didn't come through, and also had called in a scrip for the same anitbiotic, but I didn't know it was there (ususally I'll see an email notification).

So my question is if he's feeling better, do I still give him the antibiotic? The nurse was rather noncommittal and said it was my call. He doesn't have a fever. The online sites says it'll run its course either way - but he could still be contagious? I don'treally want to give him antibiotics if he's fighting it off naturally, but is there a risk in not giving him them medicine?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-29-2009, 12:09 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,023,833 times
I'm pretty sure the antibiotics used to treat strep no longer work. Step goes away naturally most of the time.

If he is better on his own I'd leave it be. That's what I would do but I'm not a doctor.

Good luck

Old 06-29-2009, 12:25 PM

5,644 posts, read 12,408,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
I'm pretty sure the antibiotics used to treat strep no longer work. Step goes away naturally most of the time.

If he is better on his own I'd leave it be. That's what I would do but I'm not a doctor.

Good luck
That would be incorrect....

Strep throat that has been confirmed via rapid strep testing or culture should be treated with antibiotics. (Antibiotics are certainly still effective against strep)

While the disease itself is usually self limiting, the complications that can arise from untreated strep infection, rheumatic heart disease and glomerular nephritis are no joke.

While the risk of developing these complications are low, once they occur treatment options are limited.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:28 PM

2,052 posts, read 5,558,361 times
I agree with bluedevil. I'd treat it with the antibiotics.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandycat View Post
I agree with bluedevil. I'd treat it with the antibiotics.

I guess I generally lean that way - it just seems odd since he's already feeling better.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:37 PM

Antibiotics only keep the infection from spreading to other parts of your body and SHORTEN the amount of time the person can spread the illness.

If he is feeling better and has no fever there is no need to give antiobiotics!

I'd keep him away from people for a couple of days to ensure he doesn't spread it to anyone.

And you are right Blue. If it is viral antibiotics won't work. That is why a test must be done like in this case.

A family member is a chiro and a primary care physician for many of his patients. He doesn't ALWAYS call for antibiotics and the patients clear it up on their own. It depends if the person has history of rheumatic fever, frequent strep throat infections, or family members with recurring strep infections. If not, many people can have it clear up. And in this kid's case it sounds like he is!

Old 06-29-2009, 12:39 PM

23,895 posts, read 26,257,433 times
Quote:
Antibiotics only keep the infection from spreading to other parts of your body
"only"? That seems to be the point bluedevil was making.....

Old 06-29-2009, 12:39 PM

Most importantly: Don't rely on the nurse saying it is "your call." What did you DOCTOR say????????? If he says take them, after you explain how your son is doing, then do so for sure!

Old 06-29-2009, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Most importantly: Don't rely on the nurse saying it is "your call." What did you DOCTOR say????????? If he says take them, after you explain how your son is doing, then do so for sure!
The nurse really ticked me off saying that!!!!!

I honestly don't know what's better - generally I am happy to follow the program and put the kids on antibiotics. But I do feel if the kid is fighting it off without, isn't that better for him in the long run?

I think you're right - I'll call the doctor this afternoon and get a direct answer.

Old 06-29-2009, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc3217 View Post
The nurse really ticked me off saying that!!!!!

I honestly don't know what's better - generally I am happy to follow the program and put the kids on antibiotics. But I do feel if the kid is fighting it off without, isn't that better for him in the long run?

I think you're right - I'll call the doctor this afternoon and get a direct answer.

Sounds like the best plan of action. Maybe mention that you heard that you can "get over" strep without antibiotics and obviously that he is feeling better.

I lean towards NOT taking medications BUT I also tend to trust what my doctor says. While they don't often pull out their script pad, they do at times and I'm willing to do what I've got to do

Hope all goes well. Let me know what he/she says
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting