Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2009, 08:19 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Weekend Traveler View Post
Are most with teenagers so bored and miserable?
Depends on the activity!

We went when my son was I think 11 or 12? Some of the places he loved, others, not so much. In general, he loves the city and he loved Washington D.C. I know now at 15 he'd love to go back, but if we took him to an art museum he would be beyond miserable. And frankly, that wouldn't be my thing either.

It does depend on their interests. He has wanted to go into Aerospace Engineering for a long time. So places regarding science and space are up his alley. And there is some history he is interested in - history of how things came about for example - cars, computers, etc.

4 teens is a handful - I'm sure they fed off each other which didn't help.

I'll admit, I wouldn't take small ones to D.C. - seems there would be a lot they wouldn't really get. I remember seeing a lot of frazzled parents with tired, screaming kids on the mall!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 08:25 AM

24,012 posts, read 28,444,796 times
My kids enjoyed DC and visiting places like that -as long as it's in a different city. If I were to suggest visiting a museum here at home I would get the "are you kidding me?" response! If it was on vacation, they could be in "museum/sightseeing overload". They could also have enjoyed it more in smaller groups or without their parents around. Teens can be like that. Once one of them "decides" that it is uncool or boring, the rest follow suit.....

Old 06-30-2009, 08:33 AM

4,564 posts, read 10,951,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maciesmom View Post
They could also have enjoyed it more in smaller groups or without their parents around. Teens can be like that. Once one of them "decides" that it is uncool or boring, the rest follow suit.....
Isn't that the truth.....then they get plain obnoxious. Glad I have just one - he has no one to get whiny with on trips!

Old 06-30-2009, 08:49 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,383,947 times
Default My kids love museums

They would happily spend a week in D.C. touring the free museums and historical sites. In fact, they've requested that we take a trip there. They are 10 and 8.

Recently, we tagged along when my husband had a business trip in Boston. We went to a different museum or aquarium every day. We also walked the entire Freedom Trail (a brick path that goes past miles of historic sites).

I prepared them by buying books about Boston beforehand so they knew what to expect. Of course with smaller kids, you want to limit their museum outings to an hour or two at a time. A pass will allow you to leave for lunch and/or a walk and return later to see other exhibits.

My husband and I both grew up outside of NYC and our parents frequently took us to museums and historic sites. I remember having lots of fun and learning a lot of things we didn't learn in school.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:11 AM

2,542 posts, read 6,913,045 times
Quote:
...(Is it the fault of the parents for not encouraging intellectual interests from an early age or would that be impossible because they are kids?)
No, it is not the fault of the parents unless you know very specifically how they raised them. And I must be reading this wrong: you are asking if kids can't have intellectual interests???

Quote:
... my wife (Jane) and I said afterwords that if we had chosen to have children and they were 16-18 years old now we are sure that they would have been brought up to enjoy museums, the arts, travel and learning just for the sake of education and would not have been so bored visiting museums if we visited friends in another city. OR COULD WE REALLY? Parents?
No, you couldn't. They are their own person--not you. You could do all the supposedly right things and they could still turn out to not like learning, or worse...

Quote:
From the OP again:
The museums in Washington DC we visited included: Air and Science, Art, Natural History, American History and Indians. So they varied.

If most kids are going to be bored there then why do so many parents drive or fly from all over the world to come to Washington DC with their kids in tow? Every time I go to the National Mall area in Washington DC it is just jammed with families. Are most with teenagers so bored and miserable?
It sounds like you did way too much! What outgoing, energetic things did you do? What "cool" teenage-themed things did you include or talk about? Were the days interactive, or more like a classroom-like lecture, one-sided type of days? Seriously, even many of the most studious teenagers may have gotten bored with that itinerary (for four days).

Parents spend the money and time on vacations because they know that the children will appreciate and benefit from it--definitely later and probably at that time. The teens were also probably trying to look cool, so you may have no idea if they enjoyed their time or not. Anyhow, perhaps the parents wanted to go--what were they going to do with their kids? I am a firm believer in a bit of forced participation.

Old 06-30-2009, 09:20 AM

16,257 posts, read 43,168,834 times
Quote:
My wife and I had some old friends from College here in Washington DC over the weekend. They had four teenage kids. (We do not have children so are not always sure what they are interested in)

Anyway, we brought them down to Washington DC and did a tour of the Capital, the White House and the Museums on the National Mall. All four were just miserable, bored silly and could not wait to get back to their hotel room where they could swim and watch ESPN. (Which they could do at home). The next day we went to Mount Vernon (The home of George Washington), they were bored silly.

Is this to be expected? Would most teenagers be so bored at the Smithsonian Museums, the Capital and White House and similar attractions?

(Is it the fault of the parents for not encouraging intellectual interests from an early age or would that be impossible because they are kids?)
The education system is so poor in the U.S., I think that they just haven't been exposed to history, politics, etc.

They sound like Midwest kids? I grew up in the Midwest, and if your knowledge wasn't sports related, you were considered a 'braniac'. Knowing that the Smithsonian was a museum, would instantly classify you as a braniac - i.e., that was considered 'bad'.

Old 06-30-2009, 10:19 AM

4,640 posts, read 11,930,296 times
I've got three teens and live in the DC area so they've been raised visiting the museums. If they've been bored, I haven't noticed. I love history, though, so that might have something to do with it. I do prep them before we go so that they know what to expect. Also, I generally do one museum per day so they have time to really explore it.

Now that being said, we don't enjoy DC in the summer. The mugginess, all the walking, the crowds, blech. Even I get somewhat grouchy. But DC museums in fall, winter, spring? Love it. I much prefer the museums through the week, in nice (not hot--I'll do rain, snow, etc)weather, and with less crowds. You get to actually take your time and view things and we always talk to people who work in the museum. I rarely visit DC in the summer or during the Cherry Blossom Festival--too many people for me.

I think you did a wonderful thing by taking the teens to DC. Regardless of how bored they may have seemed, they're lucky kids to have family friends that are willing to take them the nation's capital.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:46 AM

1,036 posts, read 3,067,984 times
I doubt my daughters would have been bored...but they are readers and they both like history. Even if they were "bored silly" I would think they would have been taught better than to be obnoxious. Manners isn't the same thing as being interested.

Old 06-30-2009, 11:51 AM

3,086 posts, read 7,611,753 times
You certainly can't blame the teachers or education. Even teachers with great love and passion about history and the ability to foster a terrific learning environment could not get me to love history.

One world history teacher in particular was a very popular teacher who taught with hands on interactive teaching, long before it was widely acceptable to do so. I was in her class and when she did this one unit, groups were assigned countries and had to build a topographical type model of the country, find clothing to wear that would be similar to the times, and assign each person a particular role. Then everyone participated in a mock war.

I still made straight A's, however whenever I was done with a history class, I promptly put it out of my mind.

To me, it's just like those who didn't like math, would forget it as soon as they could and never got much enjoyment out of math. Me. I was the odd one who loved math and still do. Just can't say the same for history....for me.

Old 06-30-2009, 02:47 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,232,469 times
Can we come and stay at your place.

I know our kids would love the Smithsonian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting