Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2009, 06:14 PM

264 posts, read 819,495 times

Advertisements

I had an experience the other day that was really frustrating and brought to mind a question. I was in the womens' restroom at a public park with my two five year old boys and my 2 year old boy. A young girl, who was maybe 8, went outside and told her father who was waiting for her that there were boys in the restroom and she was afraid. When we came out, the father confronted me about my boys being in the womens' room...saying something to the effect of "the sign says women, they ought not be in there". They are only 5, sir, I said. He proceeded to say "I don't care how old they are, they aren't allowed in there." Which brings up the question...how old is too old to have boys go into the womens room with mom? I really don't feel safe sending them into the mens room unattended at their current age....not knowing who is in there (a pedophile, who knows?)...and also not being able to go in if they should need my help at some point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2009, 06:22 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmom3 View Post
I had an experience the other day that was really frustrating and brought to mind a question. I was in the womens' restroom at a public park with my two five year old boys and my 2 year old boy. A young girl, who was maybe 8, went outside and told her father who was waiting for her that there were boys in the restroom and she was afraid. When we came out, the father confronted me about my boys being in the womens' room...saying something to the effect of "the sign says women, they ought not be in there". They are only 5, sir, I said. He proceeded to say "I don't care how old they are, they aren't allowed in there." Which brings up the question...how old is too old to have boys go into the womens room with mom? I really don't feel safe sending them into the mens room unattended at their current age....not knowing who is in there (a pedophile, who knows?)...and also not being able to go in if they should need my help at some point.

At a public park, in this day and age? Oh the boys would be with me. And as a father I would be very concerned about letting my daughter go in there alone. As a father I would have done the custodial knock on the door to verify it was empty before my daughter went in and wait outside till she finished, watching who walked in.

I would also not even discuss when someone like this approached me, when he said the sign said women..I would say yes, I am sorry. And move on whether or not I really was sorry .

Old 07-16-2009, 06:34 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
Funny you ask this because I was at the museum restrooms with my 2yo boy, 6yo boy, and 7yo girl this afternoon. My 6yo boy is kind of hyper and instead of letting him go into the mens room and make a mess with the soap and paper towels washing his hands, I decided since we all had to go we'd go into the womens room. It was empty until we were washing our hands and a woman walked in. He said to her "I'm a boy" and she said "Then I will make sure I don't take my clothes off". Made me laugh.

I think its fine. And I think the approach lovingSAT suggested is good.

A funny story: I was talking to a fellow passenger while waiting for a plane. He was a middle-aged man, late 40s or so. Normal guy. He got off of a red-eye and went to use the bathroom and freshen up. He was tired and bleary-eyed and walked into the womens room by mistake. He thought it odd that there were not urinals but it did not bother him enough to check. He got in a stall and was about to get out when a lady walked in. He realized his mistake and sat there til the restroom was empty again to make a hasty exit!

Old 07-16-2009, 06:42 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,452,372 times
My DS would have been with me in the ladie's also....The boys are little and there are doors on the stalls for pity's sake! It's not like they were standing at urinals! I wouldn't give it another thought.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:09 PM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times
I don't like to see boys in the girls room either. If you have that many, go into the mens room with them. Grown up men will wait.

How old is too old- if they are walking.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:18 PM

1,627 posts, read 6,504,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post
I don't like to see boys in the girls room either. If you have that many, go into the mens room with them. Grown up men will wait.

What a silly response. So a one year old boy shouldn't go in the women's room but it's fine for a grown woman to go into the men's room with him? Um...I think there is a bigger issue with an adult in the wrong restroom than a small child. Perhaps you could wait if it's such an issue for you. And the men's room has urinals--you could walk in on men using them, no thanks! Maybe you would prefer gay women also use a different restroom for fear they too are checking you out somehow? Though really can't see what goes on in a bathroom which could be of concern to anyone. You have your own stall.

I think about 7ish is when a child is old enough to go in alone, figure it out in there, and come back out. Depends on the child. I'd still wait outside the door though. Before that, I'd take a boy in with me in this day and age.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:19 PM

106 posts, read 383,342 times
This day in age, I wouldn't let a 5-year-old go into a public park restroom by himself either...no way!

They are still very little and I don't think anyone is going to be traumatized...the fellow should have been understanding of your situation.

Obviously, I wouldn't let them go in there without mom, but with adult supervision I don't see the big deal. I mean for heaven's sake...they are still practically babies and they only have one thing on their mind in the bathroom...using it! Don't worry about it.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:19 PM

3,562 posts, read 5,225,158 times
I stopped taking mine in, probably, before he turned 6.

Now, places that are able and willing provide unisex bathrooms for parents. This is a beautiful thing.

However, consider this, the very same people that are going to throw a tantrum about the fact that you took your child in because you wanted to keep him safe, are the exact same individuals that are going to stand on the sidelines and say obnoxious things if something DID happen to him.

Because, some people are just that way.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:21 PM

263 posts, read 745,079 times
the safety of the children comes first. use your own judgement as to when you can send them in to a bathroom alone. i have stood outside the men's room with my foot holding the door open an inch.
some public places have a "family" rest room. it is perfect for mothers/sons and fathers/daughters. also for the handicapped and their caretakers.

Old 07-16-2009, 07:27 PM

2,046 posts, read 5,586,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasGrace View Post

Pedophiles, Predators, Rapists, other Sex Offenders, people who take children and kill children. The child would stay by my side in the womens restroom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting