Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-23-2009, 03:28 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
no, just attentive parents. As much as I hated it when my mom told me what was "proper" and what wasn't, it stuck with me. You are suggesting letting the law decide your morals. That is never a good idea. Sounds like a cop out.
Absolutely not, although I do obey the law and that conditioned my response. That's not the same thing as basing one's morals on the law. That is what a lot of other people here are doing, even though they may not realize it.

I would think two healthy 17-year-olds having sex is proper even if it were illegal, although it would condition how far I would actually encourage the relationship.

If the kids were 15 I would still think it was proper, but also that it was my duty to uphold the law out of self-preservation and the preservation of the kids' interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-23-2009, 04:05 PM

8,309 posts, read 38,779,335 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
At what age would you allow your kids to have sex in your house, with your consent?
My parents stayed at my house not too long ago. I considered making them stay in separate rooms. Afterall, my roof, my rules.

Old 07-23-2009, 04:15 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
My parents stayed at my house not too long ago. I considered making them stay in separate rooms. Afterall, my roof, my rules.

Old 07-23-2009, 06:44 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
its a boys slumber party. let them do it. would it make a difference if all the other boys were straight? they are still all boys. are you going to punish your son based on his attractions?

let him go, let him know the expectations you have of him. let him know how responsible you know he is and tell him that if he breaks your trust there will be consequences.

i think its sweet that your son has found other gay kids to have fun with.

as a sleepover i would be more concerned with the sneaking out to party deal. or the drinking deal.

talk to him and trust in him.
congrats on being an involved parent!

Old 07-23-2009, 07:13 PM

314 posts, read 935,978 times
I say let him go, he is 17 and if he and his friends was straight you would have no problem with it. So it WOULD be only because he is gay. My brother who is not gay spent the night over his buddies houses all the time.

Old 07-24-2009, 02:55 AM

4,515 posts, read 9,700,741 times
They will have sex if you let him go.. if this is fine by you then let him go...

Old 07-24-2009, 04:45 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
If the kids were 15 I would still think it was proper

Okay, at this point I think we can all agree that some of the posters in this thread are gay teenage boys under the age of 16. The comment above just proved that some folks either aren't/shouldn't be parents.

Old 07-24-2009, 12:14 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,665,367 times
i dont think so. you really think this is going ot turn into a gay teen sex orgy? just because they are gays does not mean they are attracted to eachother. and they are friends. some of my firends had very liberal parents growing up. we had mixed sex sleepovers.
well they werent sleepovers as much as they were "everyone crashing on the living room floor after a night of fun". what was everyone else doing at 17 anyways?
sure we had relations, but that does not mean that is all we did every waking moment. especially not with people i considered friends. that would have made it too complicated.

the other option is to host the pajama party yourself OP...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycricanpapi View Post
They will have sex if you let him go.. if this is fine by you then let him go...

Old 07-24-2009, 09:18 PM

134 posts, read 231,497 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by overworked_mom View Post
Recently my gay 17 year old asked me if he could spend the night at his friends house. I know that the other boy is gay but my son tells me they are just friends and two other boys (also gay) will be there as well. I just don't know how I feel about this any advice?
Why not. What are you afraid of. Him having sex>? He's not a virgin most likely anyway. And he will have it soon..he is an young adult. Telling him no, would be treating him like a 8 year old, and at the same time you are telling him you don't trust him...not a good feeling. He is grown. He already knows what's right and what's wrong. He knows how to make decisions. Our jobs as parents are to help our children become independent, among many things. Let him go.

Old 07-25-2009, 01:51 AM

37,135 posts, read 42,214,810 times
I'll tell you how I handled this stuff but I warn you, it's not for everyone. I straight up told my son he didn't need to be sleeping anywhere but home and nobody needed to be sleeping here. Ever. So it was never an issue.

I'd been worn out by the slumber parties and sleepovers of my older daughter and I'd had enough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting