Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2009, 05:25 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by twins4lynn View Post
We don't do back to school shopping. The kids buy whatever they need (want) throughout the year, bit by bit, and seem to bypass back to school shopping.

And school starts in 2 weeks and 2 days .
The school doesn't give you a list of things you have to buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2009, 05:57 PM

2,203 posts, read 3,361,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by suzie02 View Post
The school doesn't give you a list of things you have to buy?
Class lists won't come out until school starts. We have loads of extra stuff that weren't used last year (extra folders, binders, dividers, highlighters, etc) and still have working calculators, so the lists won't be too bad overall.

Old 07-29-2009, 06:24 PM

17,998 posts, read 9,063,792 times
Quote:
I will probably only spend $150 between my 2 kids
Wow the cost of the graphing calculator I have to get is just about that same price. That's just a tiny fraction of what I have to get.

Quote:
Our schools haven't even came out with their lists yet! I dread when they do, because there won't be a store in town that you will be able to get into! There were a few grades that we just paid $15.00 the first day of school - that was great! I know we will have lists this year, though.
Our lists can be either emailed/mailed/ or picked up in person. I wish I could say that my school shopping costed $15!

Quote:
And school starts in 2 weeks and 2 days .
School here starts August 10th, 12 days from now. So not a whole lot of time.

Old 07-29-2009, 07:08 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,941,622 times
and asking them to pay for stuff out of their own pockets is not right either, which is probably what happened when you refused to pay the extra $2.

It wasn't MY child that she had to buy the extra supplies for... I provided above and beyond what was on the list. I refuse to feel guilty anymore just because my kid goes to school with other children that have parents that won't "do". I feel that in the case of the pens, she should've been aware that you could not just buy them 2 at a time and should've either used a different kind of pen, or asked for the money instead of putting it separately on the list. She asked for the money for the CD/end of the year project and the magazine subscription on the list.

Teachers need to take some responsibility for the items they are asking the parents to provide... if it isn't sold, then they should know that before asking others to hunt it down. The paper this year comes to mind... why didn't the teacher know, ahead of time, that the only store in town that carries it does not carry the 50 packs, only the 500 count? Or did she know, and she was hoping that some of us would choose to buy the big packs and save her the headache of dealing with the families that can afford an LCD TV and/or cigarettes, but not school supplies? (that's another thread entirely, I know)

Old 07-29-2009, 07:52 PM

16,488 posts, read 24,483,331 times
Please don't remind me, I am in denial that summer is coming to a close soon.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:01 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,751,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokencrayola View Post
Please don't remind me, I am in denial that summer is coming to a close soon.
Really. My dd goes to preschool and her summer vacation was only 1 month but I am so ready to get her of my hair a few hours 3 times a week.

Old 07-29-2009, 08:33 PM

4,564 posts, read 10,955,920 times
I will have to say, I don't miss those days! Now that my son is in high school, there is no "list". Paper, pens, that's about it.

The calculator was a bit of an expense in middle school - but it will last for years.

Old 07-29-2009, 10:39 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,712,128 times
Our schools don't start until Sept 8th, so I'm TOTALLY jealous of those of you who start sooner. Get thee gone children!

Not only do our supply lists not come out until a week before school, neither do the class lists nor the high school schedules. I think that sucks.

We have all the supplies we should need except tissues and soap. tons of paper, crayons, markers, colored pencils, regular pencils, pens, rulers, scissors, notebooks, comp books, folders, etc. I could start my own store.

I haven't bought school clothes yet. Money is so tight right now. I think I'm going to Kmart next week and put some stuff on layaway (walmart is sooo missing out on tons of money by doing away w/ their layaway)!

Old 07-29-2009, 11:39 PM

2,542 posts, read 6,916,812 times
My son's third year of school...I haven't bought a back-to-school wardrobe yet and don't really ever plan on doing so. I guess I'm lucky that I have boys so that issue won't come up for years upon years. I do think I will begin the tradition of buying one new outfit at the beginning of each year. He needs a new backpack; I'm going to spend more money on a better quality one this year in hopes that it will last longer (plus we go hiking often, so it would be nice to get one that fits better than his last one).

However, we are in a new school district (3rd one) and this one has no lists! We just got the packet yesterday and it said that all he needed to bring to school was a backpack and a smile! It seems crazy after two years of purchasing extra Kleenex, snacks, crayons, etc. for the classroom! Well it helps a lot, since I didn't like the shopping options in the nearest town (an hour away) and was contemplating a trip to Phoenix--3 hours away in a time of record heat. No thanks!

So total, maybe $100 only because of buying a better backpack and two new pair of shoes and maybe one outfit--all online.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:57 AM

14,784 posts, read 24,090,712 times
well when my two sons were in elementary school I paid 345.00 for school supplies one year and that was the last yr . I felt like the teacher had an outlandish list and I did say something about it , because i will say that we lived in a less than nice neighborhood that year and alot of the families were low income . I however was not , thank god I had a good job . I wondered if this teacher looked around the neighborhood before she started teaching there . The first week she must have sent out ten letter requesting the supplies that she had sent a list home . well at meet and greet night I had taken her aside and talked to her . I clued her in that alot of these families might not be able to afford her supply list . Her response however was , Im sorry that is not my problem . I was like what ? after that my son was removed from her class . I made sure of it .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting