Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2009, 12:17 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,046,326 times

Advertisements

We save and reuse school supplies from previous years. Every year though there are usually still a few things we need... and so we try to buy things made without PVC and things that are made from recycled materials and things that are FSC certified. School supplies are so wasteful... there's just so much trash and pollution that comes from the producing, shipping, and purchasing of them. So we try to be smart and resourceful about it. Our kids have had the same backpacks and lunch boxes for years. They are made from recycled soda bottles. We also do "waste-free" lunches. We save a lot of money and avoid the crowds while also doing our part for the environment, too.

Back-to-School Guide to PVC-Free School Supplies | Healthy Child Healthy World

Think-Ahead-with-School-Supplies-Save-Now-Save-Later - Greenopia Boston Green News

Go Green When Going Back to School - Education/Supplies | School Year Special Section
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2009, 07:19 PM

43,854 posts, read 51,174,310 times
There is a list posted over the in the Freebie Forum of what states/dates/merchandise is having TAX FREE shopping. In some states it even includes computers/electronics considered school related. Make sure to check it out if you don't know if your state is offering it this year.

This is the first year Florida hasn't had the Tax Free week. What a loss at a time when our unemployment rate is so very high.

Old 08-01-2009, 11:29 AM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times
I HATE going shopping tax free weekends. I save MAYBE $10 and have to fight the crowds, search for parking, deal w/ the noise, etc. Not worth it.

Old 08-01-2009, 12:05 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,902,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
I HATE going shopping tax free weekends. I save MAYBE $10 and have to fight the crowds, search for parking, deal w/ the noise, etc. Not worth it.
Me too. Unless I am buying a big-ticket item, its not worth it, plus by then most of our required school supplies are gone. You pretty much have to be there when the 10 cent spiral notebooks go on the shelf or you are out of luck.

Now, if I were spending over $300, I might consider it, as our local tax rate is about 7.8% now after the half-percent increase July 1st.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:27 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonmom3 View Post
I don't really understand why the teachers have SUCH specific requests...I mean, is a pencil not a pencil? who cares what brand it is??
They count on about 3/4 of the parents bringing in supplies, and then throw it all into a pool that they draw from at random. That way when little Jennifer's mom can't put down the bottle of MD2020 long enough to buy her supplies, Jennifer doesn't have to go without.
Of course, that also means when one of the kids in the classroom starts stealing supplies, you can't prove it, either. A Ticonderoga is a Ticonderoga.

I always bought the brand on sale, personally, and if the teacher didn't like that brand, she's welcome to buy my kid something else.

Old 08-01-2009, 01:32 PM

8,231 posts, read 17,316,631 times
Our school thankfully orders school supplies for us, we pay $50. It's heavenly.

As for clothes, we're in Texas. We don't really 'back to school' shop, mostly because it will be 100 degrees until November! Shorts and tshirts till then!

Old 08-02-2009, 07:29 AM

2,743 posts, read 14,294,082 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimimomx3 View Post
Our school thankfully orders school supplies for us, we pay $50. It's heavenly.

As for clothes, we're in Texas. We don't really 'back to school' shop, mostly because it will be 100 degrees until November! Shorts and tshirts till then!
Yep! Never any point in it for a while when you live here.... in fact, my kids are always bummed because school means they have to wear closed toed shoes... and socks!!And it's hot! Instead of flip flops and sandals like they've been wearing all summer. Our DD just wears the same sundresses, but with a lightweight cotton cardigan in case the A/C is really low in her classroom.

Regardless, I never spend much because I thrift store shop for clothes year round.

When it comes to school supplies, honestly, I try to follow the list but if something is just outrageous I wait and talk to the teacher about it. My kid's school is in a low income area, almost ALL the kids are on free or reduced lunch, so I don't know what they are thinking sometimes with the items on the lists that are pricey. Also when the list calls for large numbers of an item, I don't buy all at once. I buy 2 or 3, and when my kid runs out I will buy more. I am just not going to buy 3 packs of dry erase markers, 50 pencils, etc... sorry! Not all at once anyway.

I also refuse to deal with crowds, and if necessary the kids go day one with pens, pencils, paper, and a folder, and I pick the stuff up within a day or two when the insanity has lessened in the stores.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:05 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,051,162 times
BTS Night here will include a check for about $500, a good portion of which is an *optional* pledge in exchange for no fund raisers. The rest goes for school supply kits, spirit wear, and year books. I pay it happily because then I don't have to deal with the kids being asked to sell holiday wrapping paper.

We'll also pick up a couple of new backpacks and few articles of clothing, including new shoes, but the bulk of our fall and winter clothing purchases will happen after the school year commences.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:49 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,900,886 times
My son's school doesn't ask the parents to buy classroom supplies, so I don't have the same headache as many of you, it seems. I just have to find pants for a 10 year old that have an elastic waist, but are not made of nylon or any other shiny/silky material (Asperger's, tactile disorder, etc), and come in a size 16. (And I don't like sweat pants for school, though we usually end up with a few pair anyway). No heavy dress codes here, so he'll probably wear shorts and sandals until it snows.

And shoes- my son is at the shoe size that doesn't exist! He is just growing out of the Youth 7, which leaves him wearing.. what? A men's 5? A ladies 8? *confused*. So i guess a trip to a REAL show store for a fitting and suggestions.

Old 08-02-2009, 08:18 PM

3,872 posts, read 8,710,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by formercalifornian View Post
BTS Night here will include a check for about $500, a good portion of which is an *optional* pledge in exchange for no fund raisers. The rest goes for school supply kits, spirit wear, and year books. I pay it happily because then I don't have to deal with the kids being asked to sell holiday wrapping paper.
WOW.
My kid's school would LOVE you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting