Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Parents: If you had the choice and could afford it, would you work or stay at home and take care of
I would still work 11 22.45%
I would become a stay at home parent 37 75.51%
Not sure 1 2.04%
Voters: 49. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-30-2009, 04:31 PM

403 posts, read 1,578,394 times

Advertisements

If you had the choice and could afford it, would you rather work or stay at home and take care of the home and the children?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2009, 04:41 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,171,575 times
If my kids were not of school age, I would stay home. I was fortunate that I was able to do that. Once in school, the perfect gig would allow me to work around their schedule. I haven't been able to do that for a number of years, but have a job with a degree of flexibility, so I'm not complaining!

For those women who would prefer a paid job when having little ones, I think that is good, too. What is important, IMO, is that the options are there to choose what is best for us and our families. This applies to dads, too.

Old 07-30-2009, 04:45 PM

626 posts, read 1,345,354 times
It would be the best privilege to be able to be a "stay at home mom"! I think though that the difference in choice would be those that are more career focused and those that are family focused. Either way you can still be a great parent but I personally would love to be at the school to pick up my child, be able to go to every event that is at the school during "normal work hours" and then be able to hang out for the rest of the evening with them.

Old 07-30-2009, 05:31 PM

72 posts, read 226,679 times
Stay at home!

Old 07-30-2009, 05:46 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,040,636 times
I was a stay home mom for years and financially we are suffering from it. But, we had no options (no relatives willing to babysit).

I don't regret doing it. I have one son and now I look forward to finding full time work (I have been looking for almost a year. Last year I did a 6 months long temp job).

We need 2 incomes to live any sort of life and my husband is sacrificing working nights so I can work days.

My advice to moms considering staying home is WORK part time...keep a foot in the work world, even if it is one or two days a week. Getting back into the swing and having people take me seriously, despite my education and experience is VERY hard.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:11 PM

264 posts, read 818,348 times
i would love to be a full time stay at home mom...right now I work 3 days a week, which isn't bad compared to some, i know, but I still feel like I miss out on alot.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:44 PM

22,419 posts, read 47,402,095 times
I have that choice, and we decided that we would MAKE it work affordability-wise,
and I am a stay-at-home!

Old 07-30-2009, 07:49 PM

180 posts, read 620,761 times
I stay at home and we manage quite well but I hate it! I am actively seeking part time employment just to get out of the house. I need my own time and my own independent activities. Some adult contact every now and then would be great too.

It was great to stay at home when my kids were babies and I am glad that I didnt miss out on their first steps, words, ect.

Old 07-30-2009, 07:58 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,099,791 times
I suppose in a perfect world I would stay home forever and devote my time to volunteering once the kids are in school. "Affording" it is a matter of opinion, to a point. I stay home now and we can afford it for now. But I will need to go back in a few years if we are to have any sort of retirement savings or pay for college for the kids. I'm sure Suze Orman woulds say we can't afford it because we don't have 8 months worth of savings. So, really, what does "afford it" mean? That is rhetorical. I don't expect an answer.

Old 07-30-2009, 08:49 PM

841 posts, read 4,834,008 times
I was a stay at home mom for 7 years. I liked it for 2 years. I am a much better mother when I have outside interests, including my current part-time job in which I can contribute to society outside from my family. I did not enjoy staying at home with my children past the baby stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting