Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-26-2009, 08:28 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,067,241 times

Advertisements

How much of it do you do online? My son is a bit husky, yet short so we have a terrible time finding him pants.
We usually have to order online for wide sneakers. Yesterday we got some and they are too small...it's so frustrating. Back they have to go.

My husband and I also argue over our taste in clothes when it comes to our son. I apparently like 'whimpy' clothes and would dress him 'like a nerd.' So my husband picks out the clothes (hoodies, henleys and so on)...

It is so frustrating trying to get nice stuff, stay on budget and find the right size.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-26-2009, 08:37 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,154 times
I find it's almost impossible to find nice dress shoes for my dds. It's fairly easy to find sneakers although they have wide feet so we have to buy the more expensive name brands to get a good fit. I don't mind since a pair will last them throughout the school year.

But, I can find shoes for them to wear with their dresses and skirts. They are a size 13 and 4. I'm looking for a cute slip-on shoe that's stylish and preferably made of leather or suede. Last year I gave up and ended up buying them cute suede "Ugg-type" boots from Target, which they were able to wear with their skirts/dresses all winter.

I'd really like to find something nice for the fall. If anyone has any ideas, please share. Thanks.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:15 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,801 times
My children fall in the "normal" range for sizes, but yes, I do shop on line for lots of stuff.

My biggest finds this season so far have been on landsend.com and childrensplace.com. Both of my kids are girls but I have seen some very "cool" outfits for boys on there. Landsend has free shipping right now and Childrensplace is $5 per order, no matter how much stuff you buy. Be sure to check out their sale sections. I bought my daughter some tights that were $13 in the regular clothes area of the site and found tights in the "sale" area for $2.50. Same tights!

Also, from what I've seen of "fashion" this year, everything is layered. Buy some t-shirts in the sale section (end of summer sales) then buy some long sleeve shirts to wear underneath. Get the t-shirt for a huge discount.

Also, Landsend has a shoe size guide you can print out and then measure your son's feet. My daughter has quite a few shoes and snow boots from Landsend and the sizes are true.

Also, anything you order from landsend can be taken back to a Sears store (or sent back in the mail) and the childrensplace has a very easy return policy as well.

Old 08-26-2009, 09:20 AM

2,212 posts, read 5,151,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post
I find it's almost impossible to find nice dress shoes for my dds. It's fairly easy to find sneakers although they have wide feet so we have to buy the more expensive name brands to get a good fit. I don't mind since a pair will last them throughout the school year.

But, I can find shoes for them to wear with their dresses and skirts. They are a size 13 and 4. I'm looking for a cute slip-on shoe that's stylish and preferably made of leather or suede. Last year I gave up and ended up buying them cute suede "Ugg-type" boots from Target, which they were able to wear with their skirts/dresses all winter.

I'd really like to find something nice for the fall. If anyone has any ideas, please share. Thanks.
We just got an order from Landsend yesterday with 3 pairs of shoes for my oldest daughter (size 4). They are so cute...and the most expensive pair was $23.00 with free shipping. Their sizes are true so take a look there. As the season continues, they will have really cute snow shoes/boots there too. Make sure to look at their sale section as they had some cute Mary-Janes there that were 1/2 off. The shoes we ordered there last year made it through the entire year...snow, rain and gym!

I saw yesterday that they have cute boots at Childrensplace, but haven't ordered any shoes from that site yet so I can't say if they are good quality.

Old 08-26-2009, 11:58 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,158,091 times
I am in the process of trying to find fall shoes for each of my boys. They also have wide, hard to fit feet, so they have to be with me to try them on. We did this yesterday, and I swear, never again! At least not without my hubby there too. I'll check out landsend.com. Or, we usually go to the Stride Rite outlet. Never the full price store, but we've had ok luck and decent prices at the outlet. As far as clothes, I figured out that Carters and OshKosh fit them the best, and are pretty true to size, so I can buy clothes w/o taking them, with me. I shop end of season sales and already have all their stuff for the fall. I keep it simple. Jeans and long sleeved t-shirts. Not trendy, but not out of style either. I'll wait to worry about brand names until they are old enough to ask for them.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:12 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,043,217 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LisaMc46 View Post

Have you tried Hannah Anderson? They have cute, quality stuff at good prices. They have great sales at the outlet store, too.

I thought Dansko had kids shoes, too, but I just looked and couldn't find them for kids online. Dansko is great for wide feet.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I am in the process of trying to find fall shoes for each of my boys. They also have wide, hard to fit feet, so they have to be with me to try them on. We did this yesterday, and I swear, never again! At least not without my hubby there too. I'll check out landsend.com. Or, we usually go to the Stride Rite outlet. Never the full price store, but we've had ok luck and decent prices at the outlet. As far as clothes, I figured out that Carters and OshKosh fit them the best, and are pretty true to size, so I can buy clothes w/o taking them, with me. I shop end of season sales and already have all their stuff for the fall. I keep it simple. Jeans and long sleeved t-shirts. Not trendy, but not out of style either. I'll wait to worry about brand names until they are old enough to ask for them.
I usually get my boys (ages 9 and 14) shoes at REI. They carry quality brands and the salespeople there are always really great with finding the right fit. My boys like Merrell shoes, especially. Our doctor recommended New Balance shoes when our oldest son began suffering from plantar fasciitis due to his massive growth spurts and all the running he was doing.

I'm editing to add that there have been times when we've gone to REI and found the right fit and style, then gone online to find the same shoe at a discount price through zappo's or amazon.... as sometimes REI (unless you are using your membership discounts or hitting their sales) can be too $$$.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the3Ds View Post
We just got an order from Landsend yesterday with 3 pairs of shoes for my oldest daughter (size 4). They are so cute...and the most expensive pair was $23.00 with free shipping. Their sizes are true so take a look there. As the season continues, they will have really cute snow shoes/boots there too. Make sure to look at their sale section as they had some cute Mary-Janes there that were 1/2 off. The shoes we ordered there last year made it through the entire year...snow, rain and gym!

I saw yesterday that they have cute boots at Childrensplace, but haven't ordered any shoes from that site yet so I can't say if they are good quality.
I really love Lands End. We just ordered some super comfy lined track pants for our boys from there and they are wonderful.

I also ordered myself some jeans, and honestly I was expecting to return them. They were only $20 (on sale) and - ordering jeans online? Am I nuts?

But - they are the most comfortable jeans I think I've ever owned. They have something called a "comfort waist" which is actually hidden, and they are made with stretch which is nice - but not too much stretch, which is also nice! The color is great (they came in three shades) and they feel really high quality. I usually shop for my clothes at J.Jill and pay around $70 for comfortable, nice-fitting jeans. I've spent as much as $120 for a pair of good quality new pair of blue jeans. I'm sure you mama's know how hard it is to find just the right pair of blue jeans! But, wow... how I wish I had known about these Lands End jeans all along... would have saved a lot of money!

I get all of our bathing suits from LE, too. I never thought a two-piece would feel so comfortable and fit so good. LE is good stuff.

Old 08-26-2009, 12:42 PM

1,820 posts, read 4,491,434 times
I agree, Lands End is great for the kids AND the adults as well!
Great shoes and we also purchased all of our bathing suits from there this year....
I have bought a lot of things online ,great little girls dresses,they are nice for playtime and you can have them wear the leggings underneath for playground time at school as well....
They sell great rubber soled maryjane type shoes that can be worn with the dresses or for gym days.

Has anyone looked at Zappos.com for shoes? we have purchased a few things through them and have had good luck,as well as Stride Rite outlet stores. I just got my girls new sneakers from there for 1/2 the price each.... usually pay about $40-$42 for the kids sneakers there but at the outlet I paid $20 a pair... got 4 pairs of shoes for half the price!

Just a thought for the adults too... speaking of jeans... I just got a really great pair of jeans from J.Jill! Love that store,they have become my favorite now. Everything fits well and so comfortable!

Old 08-26-2009, 01:37 PM

22,568 posts, read 47,624,621 times
We have to order almost everything online, as the stores do not carry what we need.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting