Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 01:19 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,245,538 times

Advertisements

I always felt sad when summer was over. I resented when people say "guess you'll be glad to get them back in school" Quite the opposite, not only is it a break for me, getting up early, driving, homework, but its the end of yet another summer, when I have them all to myself, just us, these are days that won't come again. In about 2 weeks I have to give my kids back to the system for their days, such is life, but we enloy just hanging, staying up late, watching old movies, popcorn and pizza at 2 am, swimming in the park, hanging at the mall, just plain old lazy days of summer.

I always cry when they leave for the first day of school, there goes another golden summer Why do people assume parents are always looking forward to getting rid of their kids?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2009, 01:32 PM

17,190 posts, read 16,340,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
Thanks for explaining about the homework mama's... I think I get it now. I can't believe some teacher's would expect the kids to finish even if they were upset. What's the point? Some frustration I think is good, but there is a point where as a mom, you know your kid, and you should stop when you feel it's getting to be too much. Our teachers here are really good, too. And I didn't even think about the families with children who have learning disabilities or IEP's and things like that. That is something that we don't have to deal with, thank goodness.

I'm a SAHM. During the Summer, though, we still do what we call "Summer Studies". We purchase a summer curriculum for each of our kids that includes daily math practice, reading, writing, and science. There are also optional activities that they like to do as well. My kids are also involved in camps and summer programs at the pool and rec centers and library. So it's still a busy summer. Every week, and every day, we're up doing something. On weekends we camp or head to the coast. When school starts, my life actually slows down! Instead of taking the kids here and there every day, and me being in charge of their studies... it's the teacher's turn. They also ride their bikes or take the bus to school on their own. They get home on their own, too. So nice!! During the school days I volunteer, so I do have that, but it's not as busy as it is during the summer, so it's nice. After school it's time for snacks, homework, dinner... we don't do competitive sports so we don't have that stuff to deal with. Just swimming and music practice... it's pretty laid-back during the school year. I think that's how it should be so they have lots of time to study and relax.

For the mom looking for a part-time job - try Starbuck's. I worked part-time there for extra Christmas money one year and it was great! They usually have a high turn-over (or at least the store I worked at did) and the hours were very flexible. It's a great part-time gig. You won't make a lot of money, but you'll have fun and come home smelling delicious - like coffee. (If you like that smell. ) It was great around Christmastime, too, because I got lots of discounts on coffee beans and mugs and things - I stocked up and everybody got Starbuck's goodies from us that year!
Oh, it would be fun to work at a Starbuck's. I'll have to check and see if the one close to us is hiring .

Old 08-10-2009, 04:05 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,886,659 times
Oh don't you also get a free pound of coffee per week?

Old 08-11-2009, 03:36 AM

467 posts, read 981,913 times
being a Stay at Home Parent = home 24/7, no other adult conversation aside from the spouse, no friends, commuting to a job actually is a fond memory, everyday is a repeat of the last one and melts into the next. Very dull (housework and errands aren't fun). Having 2 special needs kids that you love so much but can't leave alone for long makes it so you do appreciate those times when its quiet. So yeah, I'm looking forward to school and hearing all about their day in the afternoon. Maybe my spouse and I can actually have a conversation without being interrupted for a change.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:34 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,020,617 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMom2 View Post
being a Stay at Home Parent = home 24/7, no other adult conversation aside from the spouse, no friends, commuting to a job actually is a fond memory, everyday is a repeat of the last one and melts into the next. Very dull (housework and errands aren't fun). Having 2 special needs kids that you love so much but can't leave alone for long makes it so you do appreciate those times when its quiet. So yeah, I'm looking forward to school and hearing all about their day in the afternoon. Maybe my spouse and I can actually have a conversation without being interrupted for a change.
Mr. Mom - you sound depressed! Isn't there a summer camp or something that you can get the kids involved in so you can have at least a little bit of a break? And you need to be around some other adults, too. Have you thought about volunteering somewhere? Or getting a part-time job for when your wife isn't working? Or starting up a local SAHD's group? Dad's staying home is getting to be much more common. You need some support daddi-o... sounds like. Even a regular weekly outing to the pool or park to be around other living human beings can be a good thing.

I got into a funk a few years ago when I was adjusting to staying home with the kids full-time and no longer working outside the home. My husband said I drove him nuts. I went from having a life outside the home, to immediately making him and our kids my sole sources of social activity. It takes a bit of navigating... but you have to learn to balance your taking care of the kids and home gigs with giving yourself a break now and then gig, too. Take a class or something - learn something new, try out a new hobby.

Old 08-11-2009, 05:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Oh don't you also get a free pound of coffee per week?
When I worked there we did, but this was several years ago. Not sure if they still have the same incentives/benefits or not now...

Old 08-12-2009, 03:17 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,276,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
When I worked there we did, but this was several years ago. Not sure if they still have the same incentives/benefits or not now...
Pretty sure they do. I have friends that work there. Also lots of employees who are college students will be returning to school soon, freeing up shifts. And yes, the coffee smell beats many other part time job smells (my partner worked at a pizza place for years... ick! stinky, believe it or not!)

My boys are with their father right now and pretty much as soon as they get back it will be time for school to start, for all of us! Not ready!

Old 08-21-2009, 11:37 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,102,689 times
Now that we are about 3 weeks into the new school year, I am having almost depression like feelings. My oldest started kinder this year. I was thinking that since it is only 1/2 days, it would pretty much be like preschool, not a huge change. I don't know what it is that hit me this week, but I'm having these sort of helpless, hopeless feelings similar to, but less severe than right after he was born. Instead of being at the mercy of the newborn's schedule, I'm at the mercy of the school's schedule. There is homework to be done, and he would rather play, of course. His teacher is not a good communicator. I signed up to volunteer in the classroom, and never receive any communication from the teacher about it. I guess it is up to me to figure it out myself. Anyone else have trouble adjusting to elementary school?

Old 08-21-2009, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
....His teacher is not a good communicator. I signed up to volunteer in the classroom, and never receive any communication from the teacher about it. I guess it is up to me to figure it out myself. Anyone else have trouble adjusting to elementary school?
Try calling the teacher. Or stopping by after school if that's a possibility. Some teacher's are better than others about keeping up with email. The start of school is an especially busy time of year for teacher's.

Old 08-21-2009, 05:38 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,245,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
Now that we are about 3 weeks into the new school year, I am having almost depression like feelings. My oldest started kinder this year. I was thinking that since it is only 1/2 days, it would pretty much be like preschool, not a huge change. I don't know what it is that hit me this week, but I'm having these sort of helpless, hopeless feelings similar to, but less severe than right after he was born. Instead of being at the mercy of the newborn's schedule, I'm at the mercy of the school's schedule. There is homework to be done, and he would rather play, of course. His teacher is not a good communicator. I signed up to volunteer in the classroom, and never receive any communication from the teacher about it. I guess it is up to me to figure it out myself. Anyone else have trouble adjusting to elementary school?
I found volunteering to be totally disorganized. I always signed up to volunteer for various things, never received any communication about it, my calls and emails went unanswered (umm..I'd like to volunteer, I signed up, don't you have anything for me to do to help?) I found over the years volunteering is a close-knit club, access to which is jealously guarded. There's a little group of mothers who run everything, they wouldn't let you volunteer fo fear of having an "outsider" in their midst.

These are the mothers who complain about lack of involvement from other parents, complain they do all the work, yadda, yadda, but if you try to help you're shunned, it reminds me of my high school days when everything was run by a little clique.

Well, my kids are in middle school now, all that drops out, they don't want a group of mothers hanging there all day making a passtime out of "volunteering". I just send in money for fundraisers and steer clear!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting