Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2009, 07:04 AM

213 posts, read 672,093 times

Advertisements

I bought a few outfits for my little girl for this school year, but found it kind of hard. It seems like all the cute styles are really grown up looking, and in a way i want to keep her dress atttire more childish with the cartoon character shirts and colorful ruffled shirts or is that more for the 2-6 year old age group. On the other hand she will be 7 soon so is it time to coordinate the shirt, pants, shoes and hair bows with accessories...hannah montana has some cute outfits but i was thinking that was more for the 9-15 age group. Uggg... so many choices. This age group is hard to shop for because she's not a teen or preteen but not really a baby or toddler anymore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2009, 07:57 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
The biggest complaint I have heard from moms of young school-aged kids is that clothes are too grown up. Esp for the moms that have 7/8 yr olds in size 10s.

I have a 7 yr old who wears a size 6. I have found at W-M there is a small section called "little Girl" and last year I picked her up some bermuda shorts and t shirts with apples and flowers, etc... on them. Its for sizes 4-7.

I have also found Gymboree has some cute stuff up to size 10. She has a bunch of winter clothes from their winter clearance last year in the candy shop theme with lollipops and pictures of sweets on them. The year before it was the cupcake line.

Other choices, not as little girly but more preppy, can be found at LL Bean and Lands End. I know people who shop at The Childrens Place as well and, while I have not shopped there, I believe it is more cute than that way too grown up preteen type stuff.

Hope this helps.

Old 08-06-2009, 08:19 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times
I learned early on to not school shop until after school starts. The kids get one outfit for the first day of school and then after a few weeks of school we go shopping. I do this for several reasons, one, it is still hot and summer clothing weather when school starts and I am NOT going to buy a bunch of new summer clothes to be worn for a month or so at school. Two, it gives the kids the chance to see what other kids have and then they can decide what they want. Three, there are bigger sales in October for clothes. Four, we live in Minnesota and school clothes are generally winter clothes and if I bought them clothes in August to start wearing them at the end of October they would have grown out of them by then.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:10 AM

1,820 posts, read 4,492,434 times
You can still find some cute clothes for girls that age at Lands End,Children's Place ,Gymboree and I love some of the online "stores" that have really,really cute,but trendy things.
I also love Matilda Jane,but can't shop there often,the sales are good though!
The Company Store has some great things for girls that age as well. (catalog shopping).

I can't stand any of the graphic tees with cartoons,popular Disney personalities,etc... so my daughter doesn't wear them and never asks either (not yet at least-she is 7).

Old 08-06-2009, 10:25 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,667 times
I can usually find stylish, but age-appropriate outfits for my size 10 dd at Gymborie or the Gap. They are more pricey than Walmart, but they last forever (she passes everything down to her little sister and I donate them to a single mom at my church after that).

Children's Place has some age-appropriate clothing and good deals, but the clothes don't hold up as well.

The key is to buy everything on sale. Both stores mark down their clothing every two weeks. Eventually, everything gets marked down to $9.99 or lower. You can find great deals online or at the outlets (if you live nearby).

I agree with the poster who doesn't shop until after the school year begins. We don't shop until Columbus Day. The kids like to wear their summer clothes as long as possible b/c we have six solid months of winter her in Vermont. They just wear their clothes from last year for a few weeks after that until we hit the Columbus Day sales.

Old 08-06-2009, 11:38 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
This is kind of funny... I just posted about Hannah Anderson on another thread (I've been looking for good-quality sweats and hoodies for my youngest son...)... Anyway - they had some really nice clothes for girls. Fun stuff, very modest, very comfortable looking. Really fun tights, too, and backpacks and lunch bags... anyway - here's the link:

Hanna Andersson

Old 08-06-2009, 11:56 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
I love Hanna Andersson. Makes me wish we lived back in Iceland again so I could bargain shop those kinds of clothes.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:23 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,071,618 times
This must be a big problem for moms of girls..I hear this complaint a lot.

Old 08-06-2009, 12:32 PM

304 posts, read 1,326,383 times
So glad to be the mom of Boys!!! They don't care what they wear and thanks to this no-nonsense mom are not concerend about brands either, so unlike some people have mentioned, my kids don't care what other kids are wearing either. We dress for comfort: i.e. t-shirts and shorts, jeans, and some polo-style shirts; but again...boys are way easier.

Old 08-06-2009, 01:18 PM

356 posts, read 916,825 times
Your post made me think of the book by Celia Rivenbark ""Stop Dressing Your Six Year Old Like a Skank.". Google it, check it out of the library. Some funny stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting