Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2009, 05:50 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,212,237 times

Advertisements

What is ironic is that the founder of Chick Fil A is a conservative Christian.

“Jesus had a lot to say about hospitality,” Cathy said. “He fed 5,000 people. He was always dining and cooking. After he rose from the dead, he was cooking breakfast!”

Colorado Christian University - Chick-fil-A President Urges Students To Take Christian Values into the Workplace
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2009, 06:06 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
The law is on this woman's side.
However, it's still super-tacky.
I nursed both my children in public on more than a few occassion. #1 spend half of his first several months on airplanes or driving across the country, so I breastfeed how I could and where I could...Pizza Hut on a Friday night in Texarkana, TX with a high school football team & the cheerleaders there was the most memorable....we were on hour 22 of 26 in a car...it was the only option or else nurse & drive at the same time...

However, it took all of 2 seconds to politely cover up for others around me who may or may not take offense.

The word here: "politeness".

Nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public. But also no reason to not cover up out of respect to those around you & it takes little to no effort.

Another word: "respect"

But this is such a self-righteous country that nothing is really surprising anymore....

Old 08-17-2009, 07:02 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
Perhaps Im biased, but the last thing I want to see when I walk into a restaurant for lunch is a baby sucking on a boob....ew.
Talk about losing your appetite. If it can be done subtley (sp?) where I dont know/notice whats going on, fine. Whatever.

If I see boob hanging out and kid latched on though, Im leaving. Its just like seeing someone's butt hanging out of their pants...dont want to see that either.
On the bright side though, seeing both things is a good way to lose your appetite and save calories.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:23 PM

1,729 posts, read 4,998,122 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
I just don't see why every single time someone gets unhappy they need to organize a protest in this country anymore. Seriously, the laws are already in place, and they want to draw more attention to their breastfeeding? Maybe if enough people write their representatives we can change the laws and have it outlawed eh? I really don't care if people breastfeed or not in my presence, doesn't bother me. Just is it really that big a deal to be asked to cover yourself on private property(and yes, a restaurant is private property)
YOU ARE WRONG! I think you have problems seeing a mother in a natural state breastfeeding her child! She has the right to breast feed this child whether, it was a restaurant or a church. The law states it clearly.

The restaurant worker had no right in asking her to do as such! As a matter of fact, she has a good cause for a legal suit........................

Old 08-17-2009, 07:27 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,031,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RUBIES77 View Post
YOU ARE WRONG! I think you have problems seeing a mother in a natural state breastfeeding her child! She has the right to breast feed this child whether, it was a restaurant or a church. The law states it clearly.

The restaurant worker had no right in asking her to do as such! As a matter of fact, she has a good cause for a legal suit........................
I see Smooth's point.
Going to the bathroom is a natural state too, but you dont really wanna see it out in public, do you?
Giving birth is supposed to be a natural state as well, but you dont see that done in a Mcdonalds.

*Puts on flame-proof suit*

Old 08-17-2009, 08:12 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,683,499 times
Quote:

Actually, I believe YOU are wrong. The restaurant can ASK her to cover up, they just can't REQUIRE her to cover up, or kick her out if she refuses.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:14 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,426 times
Quote:

I highly doubt she would have any grounds for any sort of legal suit. Maybe if she was flat out told to leave for breastfeeding there. Heck, if it was my restaurant I would have kicked her out if she made a scene while refusing due to disruptive behavior

Old 08-17-2009, 08:23 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times
This thread is ignorant at best. What a waste of time.

By the way, if anyone bothered to read the article, the restaurant apologized (admitted being wrong) and now has "mom friendly" signs on it's doors.

Sounds to me like all they needed was a little education..

And breastfeeding is hardly comparable to urinating. . . What a sad and unconvincing way to prove a point.

For anyone who supports the best thing you can do for your child (breastfeeding) let us leave this disgusting and disrespectful thread alone. There is no need to defend and argue a point that is so obviously RIGHT in all ways.

Don't give them the satisfaction of allowing their negativity and crude comments bother you.

LEAVE THIS THREAD ALONE

Old 08-17-2009, 08:28 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,458,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I nursed both my children in public on more than a few occassion. #1 spend half of his first several months on airplanes or driving across the country, so I breastfeed how I could and where I could...Pizza Hut on a Friday night in Texarkana, TX with a high school football team & the cheerleaders there was the most memorable....we were on hour 22 of 26 in a car...it was the only option or else nurse & drive at the same time...

However, it took all of 2 seconds to politely cover up for others around me who may or may not take offense.

The word here: "politeness".

Nothing wrong with breastfeeding in public. But also no reason to not cover up out of respect to those around you & it takes little to no effort.

Another word: "respect"

But this is such a self-righteous country that nothing is really surprising anymore....
Nothing more to add...this covers it (no pun intended) completely. Respect goes BOTH ways. We all enjoy receiving it and the world just works better when we are just as willing to give it.

Old 08-17-2009, 08:28 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
This thread is ignorant at best. What a waste of time.

By the way, if anyone bothered to read the article, the restaurant apologized (admitted being wrong) and now has "mom friendly" signs on it's doors.

Sounds to me like all they needed was a little education..

And breastfeeding is hardly comparable to urinating. . . What a sad and unconvincing way to prove a point.

For anyone who supports the best thing you can do for your child (breastfeeding) let us leave this disgusting and disrespectful thread alone. There is no need to defend and argue a point that is so obviously RIGHT in all ways.

Don't give them the satisfaction of allowing their negativity and crude comments bother you.

LEAVE THIS THREAD ALONE
Stuffing your one sided opinion down people's throats doesn't help, either....

To refuse to cover up part of your breast in public is rude & disrespectful. I am all for breastfeeding, but I also have COMMON COURTESY in PUBLIC places. Obviously, many do not....

Entitlement, entitlement, entitlement.

Moderator cut: unnecessary

Last edited by jeannie216; 08-23-2009 at 07:58 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting