Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2009, 01:15 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,602 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
Ahh but here is where there is a problem. You ASSUME that I am offended by it because I disagree with your views on it. Never once in this thread did I say I was offended by it or thought it was gross. In fact, I breastfed my son so clearly I don't have a problem with people breastfeeding.

What I DID say was that if you want to be passionate about it, do something constructive with your time instead of doing these nurse-in's where people won't take you seriously. Help people instead of making a spectacle of yourself.

Kristine

I'm sorry. I didn't mean to assume YOU. . . . .I was generally speaking about those that ARE offended.

And I understand what you are saying about doing more Proactive things rather than sitting around protesting. But maybe she doesn't have the time. She IS doing her part in my eyes. This is a small part of raising awareness. This story might have given some women that extra push or the understanding that it is NOT illegal.

I myself might or might not have "sat in," and agree that there are much better and bigger things to be done.

Right now I am training to become a Certified Lactation Councelor. I will be working in the WIC office with woman who WANT to breastfeed who probably wouldn't have the support or knowledge to do so.

I hope to make a difference that way.

Last edited by jeannie216; 08-23-2009 at 08:06 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2009, 01:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammy5 View Post
That is to bad, your missing out on something good!

Kristine
I don't see it that way. The gratification that comes from giving my child what nature intended that will last for a lifetime outweighs the momentary sexual arousal one might get from the groping and fondling of a breast.

But that is just me

Old 08-18-2009, 02:02 PM

87 posts, read 99,053 times
[quote=miasmommy;10336165]Yes I do feel that way. But no, if a person does not want to breastfeed and they have not showed any interest and they are not my friends, I will not be so rude as to go up to someone and ask them to cover up if they were bottlefeeding.

There is nothing wrong with thinking breastfeeding is "disgusting" or that bottle feeding is "irresponsible." It's the expression of that belief and openly trying to embarrass or offend someone by doing so.

And by the way, being disgusted by breastfeeding is a LEARNED response NOT a natural one. You were not born feeling that way. It is society's fault not yours.[/quote]

Well, golly, a human does learn by learned responses. And that is natural. You don't know this?

Let me put it this way. After, say 8 weeks or so, a bunch of puppies poop in one area after they are born. Not in their sleeping area. One poops in the sleeping area and gets nipped by the mother and becomes an out cast in the little group.

Now, that is a natural response to a behavior that most don't appreciate.

The puppy's are not American society pawns. I think you may be. Get a studies degree?

Old 08-18-2009, 02:05 PM

[quote=Scabbey;10337442]
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Yes I do feel that way. But no, if a person does not want to breastfeed and they have not showed any interest and they are not my friends, I will not be so rude as to go up to someone and ask them to cover up if they were bottlefeeding.

There is nothing wrong with thinking breastfeeding is "disgusting" or that bottle feeding is "irresponsible." It's the expression of that belief and openly trying to embarrass or offend someone by doing so.

And by the way, being disgusted by breastfeeding is a LEARNED response NOT a natural one. You were not born feeling that way. It is society's fault not yours.[/quote]

Well, golly, a human does learn by learned responses. And that is natural. You don't know this?

Let me put it this way. After, say 8 weeks or so, a bunch of puppies poop in one area after they are born. Not in their sleeping area. One poops in the sleeping area and gets nipped by the mother and becomes an out cast in the little group.

The puppy's are not American society pawns. I think you may be. Get a studies degree?

I'm really sorry but none of this makes any sense.

Old 08-18-2009, 02:35 PM

2,743 posts, read 14,296,788 times
[quote=Scabbey;10337442]
Quote:
Yes I do feel that way. But no, if a person does not want to breastfeed and they have not showed any interest and they are not my friends, I will not be so rude as to go up to someone and ask them to cover up if they were bottlefeeding.

And in some parts of the US, racism is a learned response. Beating up on your "woman" is a learned response. Kicking the crap out of a gay guy is the "learned response". None of these are okay. Just because mainstream society encourages an attitude doesn't make it right.

As for the function of breasts, Bio 101 people. Any extra benefits you might enjoy from having breasts, looking at them, touching them, etc., is just that. An extra benefit.

I'd think people would be more offended by certain men running around with their man-boobs visible through their sweaty undershirts before ever being bothered by a woman feeding her baby! Eww.

You know, if our ancestors had to worry so much about feeding babies around others, the human race would not have survived!

Old 08-18-2009, 02:38 PM

6,034 posts, read 10,684,778 times
Quote:
That IS what I'm saying. Oh boy. No need to wink. That WAS my point.

The breast serve a function. To feed your baby. Society has made it otherwise.

I don't purposely use my breast as "decorative objects" but they are large and sometimes my gorgeous sundress make it look that way. But I in no way have ever or will ever use them to try to get sexual attention. They are not playthings to be used during sex.

By breast have more often been used as "suppliers of food" than for "decorative objects." Thank you.
No, my point was nothing like yours; you utterly missed the one I was making. But that's okay, run along now and hide your shameful boobs unless you're feeding a baby. Might as well shave your head, too, since we no longer need body hair to keep warm. Oh, and don't wear any makeup because god knows it would be terrible if a man found you attractive. Oh the humanity if anyone happens to find something sexually interesting about any body part! OMG!

LMAO!!!

Old 08-18-2009, 03:25 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fierce_flawless View Post

You know, if our ancestors had to worry so much about feeding babies around others, the human race would not have survived!
Not really relevant b/c things such as fast food restuarants and WalMart didn't exist. They lived on farms. Limited social interaction. Comparing the 1800s and early 1900s to 2009 is useless in this circumstance.
Social awareness goes both ways. Some just don't think it pertains to them...

Old 08-18-2009, 05:29 PM

1,049 posts, read 3,010,750 times
Saying that human breasts are solely for the purpose of feeding a baby shows a lack of understanding of evolution, among other things. Other animals don't have boobs when they're breastfeeding.. they aren't needed. Heck, even girls with flat chests are capable of breast feeding once lactation starts. So the only logical explanation for breasts is to arouse a mate. Men over the years have preferred girls with visible/larger breasts, for whatever reason.. and therefor in todays modern society they have breasts.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:11 PM

2,825 posts, read 6,926,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post
Saying that human breasts are solely for the purpose of feeding a baby shows a lack of understanding of evolution, among other things. Other animals don't have boobs when they're breastfeeding.. they aren't needed. Heck, even girls with flat chests are capable of breast feeding once lactation starts. So the only logical explanation for breasts is to arouse a mate. Men over the years have preferred girls with visible/larger breasts, for whatever reason.. and therefor in todays modern society they have breasts.
This is not my understanding. I've heard that smaller breasts have been preferred in some times and also that breasts are not even universally seen as sexual in all cultures. Therefore, I don't agree that larger breasts must have evolved to attract a mate.

Regardless of whether breasts *can* also be sexual though, their primary purpose is to feed milk to a baby. It's the defining feature of mammals after all. Other body parts can also have a certain primary purpose with a secondary sexual aspect, such as lips and fingers most obviously! The fact that a body part can be sexual does not make it automatically private when it is not being used sexually at that time. Otherwise we'd all wear gloves all the time...

Old 08-18-2009, 06:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth23 View Post

Yea. Not like fatty greesy diets contribute to large overweight breast. And many animals have "breasts." They may not be as large and they certainly don't wear push up bras.

Large breast are not all that common in normal girls/women who aren't overweight. I know it does happen (I'm just under 4 feet and wear a D) but not all that often.

And I agree all the way with Adventive. We all better get some gloves on so we don't offend some of you. Sad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting