Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-19-2009, 06:08 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,979,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar View Post
13 or 14?...man, I didn't!...I didn't even like to pull mine down at the doctor's office

I think the teacher has to go in there to keep law and order occasionally, and this is when she sees em going. She's a grandmotherly type who has been in the biz for many, many years. Actually, she worked in the church pre-school when I was going there! I don't think there's an issue in that department....but, it's a reasonable question this day in age for sure.

Glad to hear that the majority of your boys have gone through this though...I don't remember if I did as a kid or not. I don't know why his teacher is particularly concerned...it must be something she discourages them from doing and our boy just isn't changing his ways. I'll talk to her in detail about it...maybe there's more to the story that she isn't stating in detail.
I think that was the point... no one does it when they're teenagers. They've grown out of it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2009, 06:12 AM

106 posts, read 383,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyma View Post
Maybe you could get him pants with a belt, then he will use his little trap door instead of taking time to undo the belt & pull down??
That's a possibility crazyma...thanks! We would just have to make sure that he was able to handle "gaining access" through the zipper alone though...i'm not sure he can really handle that yet.

In the moment, things get rather urgent sometimes when you're standing there...it's like "beat the clock"...wouldn't want to cause wet pants.

Although, on second thought...that might make his teacher happy to put up with the current "situation" instead....hahaha.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by beanandpumpkin View Post
I think that was the point... no one does it when they're teenagers. They've grown out of it.
Oh, o.k....got ya. I misunderstood the post. Haven't had coffee yet

Old 08-19-2009, 06:04 PM

500 posts, read 747,980 times
Wow, I never even thought about this for boys. I also had to train my dd's to not pull their pants all the way down. Easier I know for girls, but still I didn't want their clothes touching the floor in public restrooms. Yuck! When my dd first went to school, she would come out of the stall with her pants still down if she need help with a button or something. Pretty soon, from the other kids' reactions, she realized you have to pull your pants up, then ask for help! I think you're ds will be fine as he will learn from the other boys.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:27 PM

Default Talk with the teacher

Hi everyone. After reading your posts this morning, I decided to just take the direct approach and ask his pre-k teacher what the big deal was when I picked him up this afternoon.

She was not nearly as urgent sounding in person as her notes home (mailed along with the monthly bill:-) sounded.

She just said that they work on "restroom etiquette" (sp??) in k-4 and by the end of last year, there were a couple of boys who still didn't seem to have the hang of it...so, she wanted it worked on over the summer before starting K-5.

When our little guy came back to start year two of K-4 (we decided to do k-4 again this year because he turns 5 just a couple of days before the Kindergarten cutoff in our district) and he still hadn't learned, she wanted to remind us. Apparantly, she has to go in there from time to time to help someone with an "issue" and sees what's going on.

Luckily, we've got another whole year to work on it...and at this point, I guess his new class is right there with him. Maybe this year will do the trick

As I mentioned earlier, I had this same pre-k teacher (then I think they just called it "preschool") and I don't remember the phrase "bathroom etiquette"...hahaha....that's a new one on me!

As far as the men's room at restaurants and such, I guess i'll just have to shield him from view til he grows out of it...or take him in the boring stall

Old 08-19-2009, 06:42 PM

751 posts, read 2,480,352 times
My younger son used to take his shirt off, drop his pants to the floor, put his hands on his back, and lean back! It was the funniest thing I had ever seen! He wouldn't put his hand on it to aim, so he had to lean back a little so it wouldn't just spray the floor! Gotta love it! And he was around 4 when he finally stopped stripping naked, and 5, but still in pre-k when he stopped dropping his pants to the floor.

Old 08-19-2009, 06:44 PM

1,209 posts, read 2,927,870 times
My son used to do that. Now he is at the stage where he doesn't want anyone to see him naked. (Which is good). So now he tries not to pull his undies down all the way, to stop someone from taking a peek. He even closes the bathroom door now while he's on the bowl! .... Our next goal is getting him to wipe his butt clean.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1phwalls View Post
My younger son used to take his shirt off, drop his pants to the floor, put his hands on his back, and lean back! It was the funniest thing I had ever seen! He wouldn't put his hand on it to aim, so he had to lean back a little so it wouldn't just spray the floor! Gotta love it! And he was around 4 when he finally stopped stripping naked, and 5, but still in pre-k when he stopped dropping his pants to the floor.
How funny!!! Guess he didn't have to worry about anything being in the way, huh? That's priceless.

Old 08-19-2009, 07:01 PM

1,450 posts, read 4,250,891 times
I would question why a teacher is watching a little boy go, especially an opposite sex teacher.

My son was accused of indecent exposure for almost the same behaviour the OP describes, he was in 1st grade, pulled his pants down to use the urinal, some other boys made comments, next thing you know, he was expelled from school for indecent exposure, took an attorney and tons of money to get the "charge" off his record, we were talking about a 6-year old child using the bathroom, not some pervert showing it off in a public area!

Schools carry everything to the nth degree nowdays!

Old 08-19-2009, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
I would question why a teacher is watching a little boy go, especially an opposite sex teacher.

My son was accused of indecent exposure for almost the same behaviour the OP describes, he was in 1st grade, pulled his pants down to use the urinal, some other boys made comments, next thing you know, he was expelled from school for indecent exposure, took an attorney and tons of money to get the "charge" off his record, we were talking about a 6-year old child using the bathroom, not some pervert showing it off in a public area!
OMG...what a nightmare!!! I agree that schools have swung too far in the nervous direction these days.

In our case, I think his teach is fine...not a perv or anything. She just has to go in to help from time to time and has occasion to see how everyone's doing in that department. It seems to be an item that is on her checklist to have the kids out of before they move on to Kindergarten.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting