Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2007, 09:09 AM

3,684 posts, read 11,815,454 times

Advertisements

My 5 year old who has been sleeping undisturbed in his own bed since he was 2 recently had a bout of nightmares/ear infections....the combination lasted for almost a week and finally after two nights of sleep deprivation I just let him get in with us for a few nights. REALLY BAD IDEA!!! Now I've spent the last three nights sleep deprived getting him to go back in his own room! Last night he only got up to come get me three times, down from 5 the night before and almost constantly the night before that. So I'm making progress but believe me I will never let him back in again...cause this just bites.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2007, 09:18 AM

560 posts, read 2,187,919 times
I can sooooo relate!!! I have 2 "older" children age 12, 10 and a 4 year old. The 4 year old was a bit of a surprise. I was so good about keeping the older 2 out of my bed. If they had a nightmare or were sick I would cuddle with them in their bed. I also did the same with my 4 year old until she also had ear issues and actually ended up having surgery (tubes and adenoids removed), and I allowed her into our bed "for a little while". Well, 2 years later we are still dealing with bedtime issues that I never had with the older 2Nothing against those parents who don't mind having their children in their bed, but for my husband and I it just doesn't work. Even when I do manage to get her to fall asleep in her bed she usually ends up in ours at some point during the night. Very frustrating!!!

Old 04-27-2007, 11:18 AM

2,349 posts, read 10,655,275 times
HAHAHA I opened this thread thinking it was something very bad... well, it is but it's kinda funny too My lil one was always in his own bed until this past Christmas. He was going into preschool full time after the new year and I was wanting to give him my all. I took a couple of weeks off from work and decided to make that time "special". Well, here we are almost 5 months later and it's still "special" time. lol At the end of the day after work, making lunches, doing laundry and playtime I just don't have any fight left in me. I am hoping to boot him out before he turns 12 :0

Old 04-27-2007, 11:58 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,020,621 times
My sympathies to you all.
I never had this problem, but have talked to many parents who did.
I've heard good things about The Ferber Method.
I know some parents have The Family Bed and it sounds cozy--but almost too cozy for me. I always wonder how on earth they get pregnant a second or third time with a young one(s) already sleeping with them.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:09 PM

Default Haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by cil View Post
I always wonder how on earth they get pregnant a second or third time with a young one(s) already sleeping with them.
VERY funny Cil! I suppose that's what naptime is for. Well, if it's just the kid having a nap I hope!

Old 04-27-2007, 12:19 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,728,382 times
Our now 7 year old slept in our bed until she was 5. My other 2 (younger btw) have NEVER slept in our bed. We had to do a whole transitioning thing with my oldest. First, we told her could have a roommate and she thought that was cool, so she and her sister shared a room for a few months. The first night, she was totally freaked out, while her little sister just looked at her like "what's her problem?" The trick I used was, I tucked her in, put on some music, gave her some books and said "I'll be back in 10 minutes to check on you". 10 minutes later, I checked on her and she thought that was cool, so I gave her the thumbs up and said "I'll be back in 15 minutes, and so on and so on. I guess this is like the Farber method for big kids. Anyway, after 30 minutes, she was asleep and then in the morning, we had a party and that was the last she ever slept in our bed. It was worth all the rigamarole and grandstanding for 1 night ... and now she has her own room, which we let her pick the color.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:31 PM

Quote:
I always wonder how on earth they get pregnant a second or third time with a young one(s) already sleeping with them.
Silly girl that's what the other 7 rooms in the house are for!

And it's not that he's in there...it's that he's in there because I screwed up...I really need you all to learn from this so I can at least take comfort in knowing no one else will be this stupid again. Oh and of course present company who have already done the same thing are excluded from the stupid comment.

Old 04-27-2007, 12:37 PM

11 posts, read 41,435 times
Default LOL hmm

Quote:
My sympathies to you all.
I never had this problem, but have talked to many parents who did.
I've heard good things about The Ferber Method.
I know some parents have The Family Bed and it sounds cozy--but almost too cozy for me. I always wonder how on earth they get pregnant a second or third time with a young one(s) already sleeping with them.

The answer to the last statement is easy. Family Bed at night - when child falls asleep sneak into the laundry room. LMAO

Old 04-27-2007, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkmewright View Post
HAHAHA I opened this thread thinking it was something very bad... well, it is but it's kinda funny too My lil one was always in his own bed until this past Christmas. He was going into preschool full time after the new year and I was wanting to give him my all. I took a couple of weeks off from work and decided to make that time "special". Well, here we are almost 5 months later and it's still "special" time. lol At the end of the day after work, making lunches, doing laundry and playtime I just don't have any fight left in me. I am hoping to boot him out before he turns 12 :0
"special time"...LMAO!!!! I haven't seen to many moms go to college to sleep in their kids beds so I'm pretty sure he'll be out by then...good luck with yours too.

Old 04-27-2007, 01:56 PM

AAhhh ya'll are just SO funny! Love love love the college comment. Now wouldn't that be something!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting