Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 04:00 PM

6 posts, read 12,350 times

Advertisements

I have child support in arrear around $35000. since 2001 but at the same time i become disabled and my child received already the same amount from ssdi. my question is how I should explayned to the judge, or how I
should ask to credit all the money that my son had received from ssdi to the arrear of child support.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 04:20 PM

751 posts, read 2,480,999 times
The money your son got is not child support. It is his share of your benefits, that any child would get. Even if the parent didn't owe any child support. So stop whining and pay your child the support he deserves.

In order for you to owe $35,000 you have to have been making a lot of money, or your kid is like 17 and you never paid 1 cent to the kid. I find that disgusting either way and will not post again as I will say something that is not nice.

And guess what, the state does garnish child support from your SSDI and SSI. I hope the child's custodial parent sues the you.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:12 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,394 times
In some states, the amount the child received from SSDI *is* considered to be child support. It depends on which state you live in, so I would think it would be best to consult a lawyer in your area.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:18 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,855,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
I have child support in arrear around $35000. since 2001 but at the same time i become disabled and my child received already the same amount from ssdi. my question is how I should explayned to the judge, or how I
should ask to credit all the money that my son had received from ssdi to the arrear of child support.
Talk to your case worker that you should of been assigned to. I call mine all the time about questions as pertaining to my childsupport.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:21 PM

15,891 posts, read 18,323,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
In some states, the amount the child received from SSDI *is* considered to be child support. It depends on which state you live in, so I would think it would be best to consult a lawyer in your area.

Are you referring to Social Security Disability Ins. or SSI Supplemental Security Income? Both are administered by the Social Security Administration.

Old 08-25-2009, 07:40 AM

7,931 posts, read 15,820,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manolito View Post
I think you should get off your arse, stop being a slug, and support your child. If you owe 35K in back child support, my guess is you really weren't around to spend time with your child and be a parent either.

Anyone can be a father, I guess, but it takes a lot more to be a DAD. Man up already!

Old 08-25-2009, 08:12 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,394 times
Without knowing more about this particular situation, I would think we could stop with the snark. If he has been disabled (and we really don't know the severity of the disability, but usually a person receiving disability is UNABLE to work...) for 8 years, it is likely that he has not had the $$ to pay the child support, which is why the child has been receiving SSDI (different that SSI). And if he is so physically or psychologically disabled as to qualify for disability, he may not have the ability to be a good parent. I hate a deadbeat loser as much as the next guy, but in some situations, not paying child support is not indicative of a desire to not pay, nor is it indicative of how much a parent loves a child. If this child is receiving the maximum benefit from SSDI (which would also indicate that the mother's income is below the poverty level), then he has been receiving around $600/mo- not exactly a windfall, but likely more than many custodial parents get in monthly support from non-custodials.

Old 08-25-2009, 10:40 AM

6 posts, read 12,350 times
thank ,1phwalls , thank ,go phillies for usefull help and contribution to the society you belong to especific group of sad people.
I am looking for help and a good citisent like " deerislesmile , Raena77, Ketabcha those are realy helper. I realy worked all my life and Ihave good relationship with all my children, but with her mother not,As I said I become illness a the same time that child support starting and at the same time start acumulation , my ex- receiving benefit for my son three time more than I should paid, can any body can understant that?.now she getting $35,000 in benefit ,(but the arrear in still there).
I call my child every week , Isent gift that some time she (the mother) return, I really nned help , not critic.

Old 08-25-2009, 11:37 AM

6,066 posts, read 15,047,844 times
I can't really understand what you're saying at all. Definitely go get a lawyer so that when you go to court, the judge will have a better understanding of what's going on. Don't try to represent yourself. I'm not sure if you have come here from another country and are still trying to learn the language, or if you just lack a decent education, or what... but for the sake of yourself and your kid you need a lawyer who can translate what's going on in the most effective way to the judge.

Old 08-25-2009, 12:46 PM

26,142 posts, read 31,184,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deerislesmile View Post
Without knowing more about this particular situation, I would think we could stop with the snark. If he has been disabled (and we really don't know the severity of the disability, but usually a person receiving disability is UNABLE to work...) for 8 years, it is likely that he has not had the $$ to pay the child support, which is why the child has been receiving SSDI (different that SSI). And if he is so physically or psychologically disabled as to qualify for disability, he may not have the ability to be a good parent. I hate a deadbeat loser as much as the next guy, but in some situations, not paying child support is not indicative of a desire to not pay, nor is it indicative of how much a parent loves a child. If this child is receiving the maximum benefit from SSDI (which would also indicate that the mother's income is below the poverty level), then he has been receiving around $600/mo- not exactly a windfall, but likely more than many custodial parents get in monthly support from non-custodials.
When you have a significant change in income you petition the courts for adjustments in the amount to pay for child support - not just decide not to pay it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting