Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2009, 02:14 PM

546 posts, read 2,204,495 times

Advertisements

Hi, I need some input here. I’m sending my Kindergarten son to a elementary school with academic high scores and outstanding teachers, it’s a public school, out of home boundary school. The elementary school that’s right next to us has a very low academic score of close to 60, BUT they are offering a dual language immerse program, meaning, they have 2 teachers in the class, in the morning the regular teacher teaches all subjects in English and in the afternoon, there’s a bilingual teacher teaching Chinese for instance, for all subject matters. What’s important to you? The rep and score of the school or having this dual language immerse program offered at an average school that’s walking distance to you? thanks in Advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2009, 02:33 PM

15,865 posts, read 21,445,747 times
I'd sell a kidney to make sure my children were in the bilingual program.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:34 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,513,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
Hi, I need some input here. I’m sending my Kindergarten son to a elementary school with academic high scores and outstanding teachers, it’s a public school, out of home boundary school. The elementary school that’s right next to us has a very low academic score of close to 60, BUT they are offering a dual language immerse program, meaning, they have 2 teachers in the class, in the morning the regular teacher teaches all subjects in English and in the afternoon, there’s a bilingual teacher teaching Chinese for instance, for all subject matters. What’s important to you? The rep and score of the school or having this dual language immerse program offered at an average school that’s walking distance to you? thanks in Advance!
IMO, the first.

I really like the concept of a dual language program and that is a great age to introduce a 2nd language, but the school still has low scores, so regardless of the language, there are still concerns with its overall academic program. And unless your child will be speaking the 2nd language at home, not sure how effective the program would be. Just like taking a language in high school, to truly become fluent, it is more practical to be immersed in the language (spoken at home; live in the country, etc).

I just have concerns about sending children to schools with low scores...doesn't mean "your" child will not succeed and do well, but the overall environment of the school has issues...

Old 08-27-2009, 02:40 PM

24,012 posts, read 28,462,628 times
I'd definitely go with the academics first. While exposure to dual languages is a wonderful thing, not at the expense of a strong academic foundation.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:40 PM

1,235 posts, read 3,679,440 times
#1- no question... high academics & outstanding teachers win every time. I'd drive a little farther for that anyday (& do!)

Old 08-27-2009, 02:48 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hueimo View Post
I would take the school with less snobs; that would be my first consideration. I like schools that have a diversity of people, discipline, and parents and teachers working together. Test scores are not the be all end all. Yes, I would want my child to learn Chinese - why not. Also, it's within walking distance? I would pick the dual-immersion school.

As far as the "low academic score" - I think it is important to know the reason why this is so.

Old 08-27-2009, 02:50 PM

3,086 posts, read 7,616,167 times
Unless you plan to continue with that same language as a major focus for the rest of their educational career, being immersed in elementary school and then nothing will likely leave them with very little retention of that language. It has to be used consistently in order to retain it. That's not worth the short term, in my opinion.

Old 08-27-2009, 04:24 PM

81 posts, read 230,639 times
I'd pick #1 if you can't find a place that is 1 & 2.

My kids are in a good school that just so happens to offer FLI with Spanish.
My son just started kindergarten in FLI and my daughter is in 2nd. It's amazing how much they learn.
She will occasionally watch some of her DVDs set to the Spanish audio track!

Old 08-27-2009, 04:29 PM

546 posts, read 2,204,495 times
I'm giving some more info here, I speak chinese to my son at home, so I thought I might as well send him to a high academic scored school, since I can speak to him in Chinese at home, the only problem is, I think he would pick up more academic terms in Chinese at this dual immerse program. any thoughts? thanks for everyone's input!

Old 08-27-2009, 05:10 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,905,303 times
In that case, #1. He is being "immersed" in Chinese at home with you, isn't he? At kindergarten age, I would not worry about the academic terms that he would miss. I assume Chinese is your first or second language and that is why you speak it with him?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting