Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 03:05 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,539,289 times

Advertisements

I have 7 kids so I have seen toys come and go. At times I think it would have been cool to have had that toy as a kids. But today I saw a ad and my kids have had this toy several times and I know I would not have liked it. The Slip And Slide. To run and throw yourself on the ground just doesn't look that fun. My kids have got bruises on those things As a child I wasn't a real dare devil so I can't see me liking it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2009, 04:15 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,516,029 times
My #1 is very cautious with the slip & slide. He goes nutty asking for us to turn it on, but I do think the idea of throwing himself on the ground doesn't register as right in his mind. As for my #2, I have a feeling this summer he will think that is the best invention ever made.

I don't like paintball. It really hurts. Not sure why you want to get shoot by something that is going leave a bruise.

Old 05-15-2009, 04:49 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,077,860 times
Slip and slide looks like a broken neck in the making!!

Old 05-15-2009, 05:28 PM

1,895 posts, read 5,903,403 times
I wouldn't like that everything has batteries, including voices and sound effects.. I used to like making my own sound effects and making my dolls or characters talk..

Old 05-15-2009, 05:51 PM

1,692 posts, read 3,539,289 times
Not to get off the topic that is the problem with the toys today. Kids need to explore with toys and create. Like blocks and doolls. Now if it doesn't talk to you and you can watch it its out.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:01 PM

5,652 posts, read 19,356,163 times
wheelies - shoes of doom... words cannot describe how much I hate those things. gimme me regular old roller skates that you strap to your shoes, hey wait a minute - they don't make those anymore. (except plastic cheapos for little tots). did the safety police get those outlawed?

My kids fave toy is lego - best toy ever. I am too old for legos - but I do remember playing for hours with lincoln logs, and these things called "american bricks" which were like lego, but cool because they had windows and doors and stuff for constructing houses. Kids grow bored of "uni-task" toys - they need toys that can be played with many different ways.

Growing up: Best toy was when someone's family got a new washer or dryer - that box was a clubhouse for a week - woohoo.

Old 05-15-2009, 06:18 PM

1,747 posts, read 3,013,105 times
There is a new toy I just saw advertised. Mess-proof painted pictures. Basically, you stroke a dampened brush across the paper and the picture magically appears. "Great for the car!!! No mess painting!!!"

The budding artist doesn't even get to decide on the colors! The entire picture just appears. Can you say "booooooring?"

I mean, why not just dip the paper in water or run it under the faucet? I can see most kids being bored by this one in about... 25 seconds. If it takes that long...

Old 09-01-2009, 10:33 AM

4,097 posts, read 11,483,893 times
Each kid is so different. I loved anything with a lot of details. Lots and lots of details. Who cared about the house, I liked the accessories, same with dolls.

Mom was death to anything like a gun or slingshot. They all were trash meat or stompable to her. I think she had a point now that I look back. There were enough things we could get in trouble with and she hated guns.

I would have hated the either too complex or no imagination plastic junk we see so much of today. I mean why does everything imaginable have to come in bright primary colors?

Old 09-02-2009, 06:48 AM

3,644 posts, read 10,943,381 times
You are NEVER too old for Legos! Our household has more than our share. My kids love them and so do their friends, but my husband plays with them also. When his brothers or cousins are in town, they will sometimes crowd out the kids! I have also been known to build something once in awhile, though nothing as creative and elaborate as the spaceships my other half builds.

Old 09-02-2009, 01:43 PM

1,156 posts, read 3,751,825 times
We have a slip and slide, but what we do is use it in tandem with cheapo inflatable air mattresses, so you are landing on the mattress and then sliding, instead of hitting the ground. I think for itty-bitties on nice soft grass, its not generally painful to use the slip and slide as designed, but for my bigger kids, trying to squeeze the last drop of fun out of some old toys - this was a hit!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting