Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2009, 04:09 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,353,604 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's barbaric and has no place in schools, IMO.
It's more barbaric to let kids make it to adulthood before they realize their bad behavior has consequences in the real world. I'd never even heard of a time out until I was about 30 and grounding was something that happened to some of my friends. That nonsense is for kids who are naturally well behaved anyway. But a lot of kids, especially boys, need a good smack now and then. There is simply no other way. I know I would have totally railroaded my mom if not for the fear of when dad got home from work. I'm not saying I was right for being that way, but that's how I was until I was about 17. And we did have corporal punishment in school when I was little in TX. The only reason I never got it is because I knew I could expect another "paddlin'" when I got home and had to have my folks sign my "paddlin' slip". I knew plenty of kids growing up who never got punished for anything, whose parents really believed their kids could do no wrong, even in the face of irrefutable evidence. I remember a neighbor who ht a golfball into my dad's car's windshield. Even when my dad brought the kid's dad's monogrammed golfball over to show his folks, they denied he could have done it. Guess what kind of adults those kids turn into.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2009, 04:43 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
It's more barbaric to let kids make it to adulthood before they realize their bad behavior has consequences in the real world. I'd never even heard of a time out until I was about 30 and grounding was something that happened to some of my friends. That nonsense is for kids who are naturally well behaved anyway. But a lot of kids, especially boys, need a good smack now and then. There is simply no other way. I know I would have totally railroaded my mom if not for the fear of when dad got home from work. I'm not saying I was right for being that way, but that's how I was until I was about 17. And we did have corporal punishment in school when I was little in TX. The only reason I never got it is because I knew I could expect another "paddlin'" when I got home and had to have my folks sign my "paddlin' slip". I knew plenty of kids growing up who never got punished for anything, whose parents really believed their kids could do no wrong, even in the face of irrefutable evidence. I remember a neighbor who ht a golfball into my dad's car's windshield. Even when my dad brought the kid's dad's monogrammed golfball over to show his folks, they denied he could have done it. Guess what kind of adults those kids turn into.
You won't change my mind. No government officer has any right to beat a citizen's child. And if you looked into this school paddling thing, you would find it is never fairly done. Minority kids get the vast majority of the beatings. Surprised? It's time for government sanctioned, racially motivated child abuse to end.

I'll tell you. If any school teacher laid a hand on my kid, it would be the last kid he/she ever did it to. I make no distinction between a stranger assaulting my kid and a government official doing so.

Thankfully there are very, very few schools in this state that adhere to this archaic and, once again, barbaric method.

Last edited by Ponderosa; 08-28-2009 at 04:52 PM..

Old 08-28-2009, 04:50 PM

1,828 posts, read 3,789,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrrafael View Post
I know in Nogales, parents take their unruly kids across the border to administer beatings. They know their brats will call the cops on them in the US.

Nothing would do more for student discipline and the budget crisis than to dish out some paddlings the first week of school in front of the student body. I've heard of Judges, who order mothers to paddle their truant kids in the courtroom before handing out sentences.

More money, obviously does not work. They've tried that--every year. It's time to get back to basics. School Principals need to be respected and allowed to keep order at the schools. In a perfect world, parent involvement at the schools would be a good thing. It doesn't seem to work that way, though.
Like I have said before, about 80% of the parents in this country have no business having children, please get a vasectomy or tubal ligation today.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:53 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Racially motivated is a bit far.

Look at the schools that struggle the most, have the highest disciplinary issues and trouble performing. The demographics are all pretty similar.

To say that minority students are getting corporal punishment because of racial motivations is similar to saying that minority students are more prone to misbehaving and campus indiscretions because of their race.

Neither is really correct and does little to address the real issues in those schools and the advancement of those students.

Old 08-28-2009, 04:57 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
Racially motivated is a bit far.

Look at the schools that struggle the most, have the highest disciplinary issues and trouble performing. The demographics are all pretty similar.

To say that minority students are getting corporal punishment because of racial motivations is similar to saying that minority students are more prone to misbehaving and campus indiscretions because of their race.

Neither is really correct and does little to address the real issues in those schools and the advancement of those students.
No, it is not in big city schools that we all associate with minority and trouble. The beatings are most prevalent in southern rural schools where the blacks don't fit the tired stereotype you are trying to project. I think a little research would prove my point.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:04 PM

25,100 posts, read 39,246,649 times
Quote:
No government officer has any right to beat a citizen's child.
Spanking does not equal "beating"

Old 08-28-2009, 05:06 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,353,604 times
Quote:
And if you looked into this school paddling thing, you would find it is never fairly done. Minority kids get the vast majority of the beatings. Surprised? It's time for government sanctioned, racially motivated child abuse to end.
Racially motivated? Kidding me? Some people only ever see things in terms of race. Very sad. The only thing unfair about it is that more kids don't get spanked.

When I was grade school, there was only black girl in the whole school district and rest assured, I saw plenty of others, all white, get paddled. But yes, the black girl got it too. When you're eight years old and tell a teacher to f&ck off, it's obvious you aren't getting any kind of parental discipline at home, a time out or "not satisfactory" on the report card would be a joke and so the state needs to step in. Plenty of kids are just naturally well behaved and don't need spanked. But plenty need it badly and don't get it.

If any adult had ever complained to my folks about my behavior, I'm pretty sure my folks would have sided with the adults. It's the exact opposite today. Luckily, I went to a prep school where any kind of disrespect toward an adult on campus got you expelled for good with no refund of the outrageous tuition to the parents. It worked wonders.

Old 08-28-2009, 05:06 PM

Quote:
No, it is not in big city schools that we all associate with minority and trouble. The beatings are most prevalent in southern rural schools where the blacks don't fit the tired stereotype you are trying to project. I think a little research would prove my point.

We are NOT talking about southern schools.

We ARE talking about Arizona schools

How about trying to stay on topic?

Old 08-28-2009, 05:20 PM

9,091 posts, read 19,214,540 times
Quote:
then find me the AZ stats - all that I can find are the 13 noted in 2006, but they don't provide much detail

also, find one instance where I was trying to project a stereotype or said anything about blacks

your race baiting is a way off base

Old 08-28-2009, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finger Laker View Post
your race baiting is a way off base
It is unfortunate but, it is his MO
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting