Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2009, 05:01 PM

106 posts, read 384,031 times

Advertisements

Well, as many of you know I am the step-dad to 5&7-yo boys. My wife works odd hours now, so i've had the honor of learning alot about their personalities and such over the past several months....more than ever sice their mom and I got hitched, even though I have known them for several years...many of which i've shared on here (I enjoy the feedback;-)

Well, today I learned of something both kids are absolutely terrified of....SHOTS!!! They both had a couple of school/booster shots due and the 7-yo's school deadline for having his is this week....soo, I decided to get both boys out of the way at the same time. Good idea, huh??...NOT!!!

OHHHHH...the squaling and squirming!....you'd of thought they were having limbs amputated And the second grader's reaction got his little brother going before it was even his turn...all the way from outside the exam room, in the nurses area.

Folks, it was quite the scene I talked about it with them first and how it wasn't going to be a big deal, etc, etc.....both were clearly nervous, but put on brave faces as best they could.....until the nurse called the oldest's name....melt down city!!!

I know this is nothing rare since I remember carrying on similarly as a kid, but their attitudes have been less than "loving" since we left the doc's office this afternoon I'm trying to be patient and not get on their cases too much about it yet....they've had a rough (and rather embarrassing) afternoon.

Anyone else out there have shot memories or advice for preventing future traumas???
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2009, 08:37 PM

4,897 posts, read 18,512,786 times
the only thing i can tell you is that of course it's normal and that it is always more easy to get through when people don't lie to you and say "it does't hurt". just say the truth. tell them it will hurt but only for a second. they will brace themselves and know what to expect. it always worked for me.

Old 08-24-2009, 09:17 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,466,713 times
Totally. Screaming, all red in the face as if he's being slowly cut with a dull knife... Everything sends him in an apoplectic frenzy - shots, an ant biting his heel, blood on the knee scratch, stitches for his cut (they FROZE his leg for the stitches, yet still). Boys and men My daughter is a patient angel in comparison.

Last edited by nuala; 08-24-2009 at 09:33 PM..

Old 08-24-2009, 09:47 PM
Status: "It's WARY, or LEERY (weary means tired)" (set 6 days ago)

16,101 posts, read 21,231,415 times
My daughter is terrified of shots. Last time we went she was a teenager and I figured she was finally old enough to not act like a two year old with the screaming and carrying on. WRONG! After we chased her around the office and cornered her, it took me and two nurses to hold her down while another nurse administered the shot.
I was the one who was extremely embarrassed, she was too wrought up to care.

Obviously I'm not in any position to give advice on this but I will offer my heartfelt sympathy.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:11 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,234,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar View Post

Anyone else out there have shot memories or advice for preventing future traumas???

Just don't give them anymore. That's one way to prevent the trauma

Old 08-25-2009, 08:21 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,248,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Just don't give them anymore. That's one way to prevent the trauma
Right because its much less traumatic to develop Pertussis, Tetanus, Measles etc...

Vaccinations are a part of growing up for the overwhelming majority of kids in this country.....some do well with it, some don't....

Old 08-25-2009, 08:24 AM

2,839 posts, read 9,994,283 times
Well, if he's 7 now, he's probably not going to be due for anything for a few years at least, right? Unless you do flu shots, which is a yearly thing. A lot can and will change for him in a few years.

Old 08-25-2009, 08:47 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Just don't give them anymore.

What a logical response.....but then again, pertusis and measles don't exist and are made up in our minds....

You've clearly never spent any time in a PICU unit.

Last edited by 121804; 08-25-2009 at 08:55 AM..

Old 08-25-2009, 08:50 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,525,892 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbar View Post
Well, as many of you know I am the step-dad to 5&7-yo boys. My wife works odd hours now, so i've had the honor of learning alot about their personalities and such over the past several months....more than ever sice their mom and I got hitched, even though I have known them for several years...many of which i've shared on here (I enjoy the feedback;-)

Well, today I learned of something both kids are absolutely terrified of....SHOTS!!! They both had a couple of school/booster shots due and the 7-yo's school deadline for having his is this week....soo, I decided to get both boys out of the way at the same time. Good idea, huh??...NOT!!!

OHHHHH...the squaling and squirming!....you'd of thought they were having limbs amputated And the second grader's reaction got his little brother going before it was even his turn...all the way from outside the exam room, in the nurses area.

Folks, it was quite the scene I talked about it with them first and how it wasn't going to be a big deal, etc, etc.....both were clearly nervous, but put on brave faces as best they could.....until the nurse called the oldest's name....melt down city!!!

I know this is nothing rare since I remember carrying on similarly as a kid, but their attitudes have been less than "loving" since we left the doc's office this afternoon I'm trying to be patient and not get on their cases too much about it yet....they've had a rough (and rather embarrassing) afternoon.

Ahh, yeah, shots are never a good time but neither is a trip to the ER or a few days in PICU.

You did what you had to do for the health of the children.

You tell them the truth: it's going to hurt. And you move on.

They could also be milking it a little with you b/c sounds like this was the first time you took them...was it usually their mom in the past? My friend just took all 5 of her boys, sat them down in a row, and the doctor went 1, 2, 3, 4,5...they didn't have time to respond! Then they went out for lunch and all was fine in the world

Old 08-25-2009, 09:03 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,466,713 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluedevilz View Post
Right because its much less traumatic to develop Pertussis, Tetanus, Measles etc...

Vaccinations are a part of growing up for the overwhelming majority of kids in this country.....some do well with it, some don't....
She had a wink at the end of her sentence, did you notice that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting