Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2009, 06:39 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by spinx View Post
I'm sure the mother was in shock when it happened. I probably would be - wondering if what I was seeing was real. Might account for her lack of reaction.

While I am on the side of "please don't bring your screaming child near me," I also know that kids will be kids. Even with threat of physical punishment a kid might throw a hissy. If physical punishment was The Great Deterent, a parent would only need punish once and never again. Even the best parents have naughty children sometimes.

I do not have children of my own, but I raised my nephew for the first two and a half years of his life while his parents were getting straight. He was a really good baby, but I have to tell you - when he threw a fit - it was nuclear. I always - ALWAYS - stopped what I was doing and removed him from the situation out of respect for other people. I think it's just common courtesy.
And if they are the best parents, they will not leave their occasionally naughty children in a public place to ruin everyone else's time. When a child is behaving poorly in public, that can mean the child has been overwhelmed and it's time to take him home. Maybe the child is tired, distraught, shutting down throw overload, but a decent parent doesn't keep dragging the child through it, they remove the child from the situation.

It's amazing the idiots out there, parents who allow a child to scream and carry on in public. Like I said earlier, well-behaved dogs are banned from the same places but are much better trained and much more pleasant to have around.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2009, 11:30 PM

484 posts, read 1,367,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kahskye View Post
It's easy to say what we'd do or what we'd like to do in the same situation. It's also easy to pass judgement on this mom for having an uncontrollable child. Unless someone can provide me a link, I have yet to read just why this toddler was crying. If it was just for a toy, then stop shopping and march right out w/ her. If mom just wanted to finish her shopping, then shame on her. Did anyone think that maybe this mom was waiting for a prescription to be filled at the pharmacy for her sick little girl? Maybe this man is bipolar or suffering from dimentia and just totally came unglued.

Some of you act so tough w/ your threats on what you'd do to this man if it had been your child. I understand, because I'd give my life for my own child. This mother was probably already stressed and not thinking rationally. We have no clue what else she was dealing w/ in her life, maybe she was on antidepressants. I doubt she thought him serious when he threatened her. Personally, I would have reported him right then and there. So many question how she could stand there while he hit her dd. He probably started slapping her child so fast that she was caught off guard, dead in her tracks. Let's try to remeber the state she might have already been in, overwhelmed w/ anxiety while trying to shush her child. How many have questioned how you reacted to a situation later w/ what you should have said or done? It sounds like customers jumped him pretty fast. I just think we need more info before we totally bash this mom's parenting and a little empathy for her reaction. I think this slaping all happend withing seconds.
No act here. I do see what you are saying about how we really do not know exactly what happened though.

Old 09-07-2009, 12:03 AM

484 posts, read 1,367,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
And if they are the best parents, they will not leave their occasionally naughty children in a public place to ruin everyone else's time. When a child is behaving poorly in public, that can mean the child has been overwhelmed and it's time to take him home. Maybe the child is tired, distraught, shutting down throw overload, but a decent parent doesn't keep dragging the child through it, they remove the child from the situation.

It's amazing the idiots out there, parents who allow a child to scream and carry on in public. Like I said earlier, well-behaved dogs are banned from the same places but are much better trained and much more pleasant to have around.

Sadly, parents can't always predict when their child is going to have a melt down or perhaps come down with a stomach ache, nor can they not always predict when their autistic or ADD or ADHD child will suddenly become upset. MAYBE.. when you see a child upset, you THINK that they are tired distraught or overwhelmed. MAYBE, you really just don't know what is going on with that child.

Interesting comparison about children vs dogs.

It's amazing the the idiots out there who think they know exactly why a child is having a crying fit or tantrum and feel they have the right to label the parent an idiot for it, even though they really MIGHT not know why.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:07 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamWeavin View Post
you're kidding-right? You interferred with a parent disciplining their own child??

Here is what is wrong with spoiled,rotten,tantrum throwing brats today---not enough spankings!
I'm sick of them. I can't go into one store-not one-lately where there isn't some brat screaming,acting crazy,running around like a fool and the parent ignores it. I'm tired of it.
I too have told mine,when they were younger,"stop crying for no reason or I'll give you a reason"...............seems logical to me.

My parents spanked--we behaved.
More parents should try it. The ignoring thing aint working and only serves to annoy others and make others want to smack the kid.
Yep, too many spoiled brats in the world due to that ridiculous "ignore it and it'll go away" behavior from parents. I'm especially annoyed by parents who actually giggle and smile over their kids' disgusting behavior.

On the other hand, I have an almost 3 yr old daughter who is REALLY pushing our buttons lately. She has always been finicky from birth, now it's just one meltdown after another or some form of destruction (throwing things, pushing a plate of food off the table, etc.)

NO form of discpline works for her; therefore, we're led to believe there's a possible medical issue. I don't think she's autistic. Maybe ADHD? Maybe like a "defiance disorder"? My husband and I are just exhausted and mentally drained. I'm hoping the pediatrician takes this seriously and doesn't give me some stupid crap about the terrible two's.

I feel helpless at times because we can't really go many places with the 3 yr old since she's so unpredictable; yet, you can pretty much guarantee she'll flip out at one point or another and it'll only get worse from there.

Now, our oldest daughter is the complete opposite. She's almost like the perfect child. It's beyond me how kids turn out so differently.

I DO know how annoying it is for people to be in stores/restaurants listening to children carrying on for whatever reason. I should know. I have an unruly child and I can't stand it at times myself...and, YES, I LOVE MY DAUGHTER...but, this is reality. I won't sugar coat the matter. We need help.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:15 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,802,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by glastron_79 View Post
Yep, too many spoiled brats in the world due to that ridiculous "ignore it and it'll go away" behavior from parents. I'm especially annoyed by parents who actually giggle and smile over their kids' disgusting behavior.

On the other hand, I have an almost 3 yr old daughter who is REALLY pushing our buttons lately. She has always been finicky from birth, now it's just one meltdown after another or some form of destruction (throwing things, pushing a plate of food off the table, etc.)

NO form of discpline works for her; therefore, we're led to believe there's a possible medical issue. I don't think she's autistic. Maybe ADHD? Maybe like a "defiance disorder"? My husband and I are just exhausted and mentally drained. I'm hoping the pediatrician takes this seriously and doesn't give me some stupid crap about the terrible two's.

I feel helpless at times because we can't really go many places with the 3 yr old since she's so unpredictable; yet, you can pretty much guarantee she'll flip out at one point or another and it'll only get worse from there.

Now, our oldest daughter is the complete opposite. She's almost like the perfect child. It's beyond me how kids turn out so differently.

I DO know how annoying it is for people to be in stores/restaurants listening to children carrying on for whatever reason. I should know. I have an unruly child and I can't stand it at times myself...and, YES, I LOVE MY DAUGHTER...but, this is reality. I won't sugar coat the matter. We need help.

Glastron,

I know its off topic - but your younger daughter sounds like my little one. It could be a sensory integration disorder. Its hard to diagnose, but a year or 2 of occupational therapy will literally change your child and your life for the incredibly positive. DM me if you think you would like more information. BTW - My son's teacher tipped us off - the pediatrician said he was fine - I was a skeptic - now im a believer!

Everyone else - sorry to go off topic.

Old 09-07-2009, 06:34 AM

2,119 posts, read 3,712,920 times
On topic...no, the guy should NOT have slapped the child. He was totally out of line. No clue why the mother did nothing. If I were her, there definitely would have been nasty words exchanged.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamsncharms View Post
[/b]

Sadly, parents can't always predict when their child is going to have a melt down or perhaps come down with a stomach ache, nor can they not always predict when their autistic or ADD or ADHD child will suddenly become upset. MAYBE.. when you see a child upset, you THINK that they are tired distraught or overwhelmed. MAYBE, you really just don't know what is going on with that child.

Interesting comparison about children vs dogs.

It's amazing the the idiots out there who think they know exactly why a child is having a crying fit or tantrum and feel they have the right to label the parent an idiot for it, even though they really MIGHT not know why.
I have a child that was perfectly fine at home an outdoors camping but in crowded places would shut down and act autistic. The right thing to do was to limit his time in public places, get him back to where he was comfortable before he became overwhelmed.

That's why I do call parents that leave their child screaming idiots, I believe they are. A two year old screams for a reason, acute distress whether it's physical or emotional. Sometimes they just need to be taken home -- and you're right, you may not know exactly why the child is screaming his/her head off but you don't leave them in that situation and force the public to listen, you take the child and leave.

I have kids and I never left them to scream - not at home and not in public. I found it best to anticipate ahead of time, go out to dinner early in the evening before the kids become over-tired. Limit shopping trips with kids and other public places to what the individual child could endure.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:25 AM

I have zero respect for the mother in this case, or any parent who acts deaf and blind while shopping or eating out. To me it's self-centered to ignore the screams of a child and the other people around. That mother was too concerned over her shopping to care about anyone else but herself.

No - strangers shouldn't slap children. But it's too bad so many parents don't have the brains to properly tend to their children and respect the rights of others.

Old 09-07-2009, 04:00 PM

3,400 posts, read 8,032,181 times
Hmm...what if stores designated some sort of room to put children in, so things like this wouldnt happen?
If there was a designated kid-drop off, and they werent allowed in the actual shopping area, perhaps it might help?? *Thinks*

Old 09-07-2009, 08:38 PM

11,864 posts, read 17,004,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colddiamond102 View Post
Hmm...what if stores designated some sort of room to put children in, so things like this wouldnt happen?
If there was a designated kid-drop off, and they werent allowed in the actual shopping area, perhaps it might help?? *Thinks*
There was a store in my area that used to have a kid care area during peak shopping times. They had cameras in the area that played throughout the store on tvs so you could see what your child was doing. I think there was one attendant, maybe two, but it seemed to work pretty well. They got rid of it though and made it into a cafe area. Oh well. I'm sure there were liability issues to deal with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting