Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 01:49 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,552,858 times

Advertisements

I make sure my dd's drink is REALLY cold. Sometimes I will freeze it the day before. But If her cold drink is in her lunch, it keeps her sandwiches nice and fresh. I do wrap her sandwiches in foil too.
But we do turkey, ham, salami...she also loves cheese/mustard sandwiches. We are a peanut free school as well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2009, 02:03 PM

3,644 posts, read 10,940,609 times
My mom used to freeze my drinks too. I hated it... it never fully defrosted before lunch and I always ended up having to throw it away and drinking water from the fountain instead. It really sucked on field trip days!

If you don't have an "ice pak" or just don't trust the kids to bring em home, throw some ice cubes in a ziploc.

Old 09-06-2009, 04:38 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,930,847 times
I don't want to cause a problem here, but please please look into trying to get your kids to eat something other than lunchmeat for lunch. The amount of sodium and preservatives in that crap is awful to be feeding your still-growing kid.

Old 09-07-2009, 07:58 PM

73 posts, read 283,970 times
Thanks guys for so many goods ideas especially the freeze drinks. it sounds like freozen drink works like an ice pack too.

I can't wait to try all these ideas and surprise my son. This forum is the best for the parents!

Old 09-08-2009, 04:05 AM

1,030 posts, read 1,453,718 times
wow, no peanut butter in school?? I think I would have to take that straight up to the supreme court!!!
my kids take peanut butter and jelly or ham and cheese. but we use freezer packs. walmart sells some in fun kids shapes that they like to use.

Moderator cut: partial cut

Last edited by jeannie216; 09-08-2009 at 04:44 PM.. Reason: unnecessary

Old 09-08-2009, 07:06 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nrfitchett4 View Post
wow, no peanut butter in school?? I think I would have to take that straight up to the supreme court!!!
my kids take peanut butter and jelly or ham and cheese. but we use freezer packs. walmart sells some in fun kids shapes that they like to use.

p.s. and take your organic holier than thou crap over to the organic section please.
6 Myths About Organic Food

It's because of the increasing rate of peanut and nut allergies. We have one child in our school that has been hospitalized for coming into contact with peanut butter. Not eating it, just touching it.

So no peanut butter in those classes (since kids can't help sharing).

Old 09-08-2009, 10:09 AM

1,135 posts, read 2,384,846 times
If your child isn't fond of meat, there are other kid-friendly options. My kids would eat PB and J sandwiches every day if I made them, but I try to mix it up. We don't eat much meat, so other than an occasional turkey sandwich, they usually have vegetarian lunches. Here are some ideas:

1) Homemade pasta salad with cubes of cheese, olives and sliced carrots and cucumbers.

2) Green salads with cheese cubes or marinated tofu. (I put the dressing on the side in little tupperware containers).

3) Pinwheel wraps. I spread cream cheese on a wrap. Then I add some shredding carrots, raisins and sometimes sliced almonds. I roll it up and slice it into pinwheel shapes. (one wrap is enough for two small kids).

4) Crackers, carrots and hummus dip.

5) whole wheat crackers with slices of cheese. (My kids have a microwave in their cafeteria and like to melt the cheese, but it's fine unmelted, too.)

6) Vegetarian "chicken" nuggets with catchup or some other dipping sauce. (can be eaten cold or warmed up in the microwave).

I find that everything stays cool enough if I tuck in one of those freezer packs you can buy in the paper goods section of the supermarket.

Old 09-08-2009, 10:11 AM

5,064 posts, read 15,900,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I don't want to cause a problem here, but please please look into trying to get your kids to eat something other than lunchmeat for lunch. The amount of sodium and preservatives in that crap is awful to be feeding your still-growing kid.
Those ingredients are known to cause cancer as well. So I buy Hormel's Natural deli meats that have no artificial ingredients, nitrates, nitrites, hormones, etc.

We can't pack any foods that contain nuts of any kind, but that's totally fine by me, since I'm allergic to peanuts myself. My son's kindergarten is only three hours, but I do partially freeze my son's juice box if it's hot out. Or I'll add a partially frozen stick of string cheese.

Old 09-08-2009, 11:05 AM

1,895 posts, read 5,901,814 times
Some good info:

HGIC 4114 Packing Lunches for School-Age Kids : Extension : Clemson University : South Carolina
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting