Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 06:51 AM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times

Advertisements

My GD asked to shave her legs in the fifth grade. It seemed young to me until my mom reminded me that I was in fifth grade when I began shaving. I told my GD that I thought her legs looked fine, but if it was something that was important to her, she could begin shaving.

I think the razor with the soap around it that a previous poster mentioned is called Venus. I got that for her and she hasn't had a problem. I figure that if hairy legs are making a child self conscious, it's not a big deal to let them shave.

She is 12 now and some of the girls in her class are wearing makeup. She told me that she thinks they look stupid and are too young for makeup. That made me very happy, as I don't want her to define her beauty by the artificial standards that are imposed by society. I was a little concerned about that being the case when allowing her to shave her legs, but think that I made the right call by allowing her to shave.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 07:36 AM

758 posts, read 1,871,515 times
I think it's one of those pick your battle things. I don't see a problem with them doing it in 4th or 5th grade. As long as you show them how, and they understand that it is capable of making a pretty good cut if they try to get it done too fast or are not paying close enough attention, then they should be fine.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:52 AM

2,536 posts, read 9,927,572 times
I don't think a girl (regardless of age) should have to go around hairy if she does need to begin to shave. I know that I unfortunately have very thick hair--and I think I began to shave around 9 or 10.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:26 AM

656 posts, read 1,990,416 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
I think it's one of those pick your battle things. I don't see a problem with them doing it in 4th or 5th grade. As long as you show them how, and they understand that it is capable of making a pretty good cut if they try to get it done too fast or are not paying close enough attention, then they should be fine.
I agree. My mom let the "you can't shave you legs until you are 13" become a wedge in our relationship. I think it is important to sit down and have a talk with your girl and find out why she wants to shave her legs, etc. I think it is important that moms celebrate their daughters growing up stages and take every avenue to keep things positive as well as keeping the door of communication wide open.

Old 09-10-2009, 09:58 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I think my daughter was in sixth grade (11). We got her an electric razor, but she uses disposable Venuses now. Razors are EXPENSIVE. I use those Intuition kind sometimes, the kind with the very thick soapy head, but that will last me one or two uses at the most if I do my whole legs. They're like ten bucks! I don't like most of the disposable kind, because they nick the skin too easily, but the Venuses aren't bad. They're the peachy orange ones, not the more expensive blue ones.

I use Nair and Veet occasionally, but they can give me a nasty rash if I leave them on more than four minutes, and I always end up patchy.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:06 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,749,100 times
I remember being 12 and my friend asked me why I didn't shave my legs. I had super blond leg hair on super tan skin, and I was alwys at the pool. It had never occurred to me up to that point. I thought it looked cool. But right after that I started shaving.

Old 09-10-2009, 11:11 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,155,231 times
I always felt like I was the last one... to shave, to go from tights to pantyhose... I think my mom approached me about it in the 6th grade, and by then, I had already found a razor and done it on my own. I would have been about 11, I think. I felt like my mom tried to keep me a little girl for too long. Now 11 seems pretty young to me!

Old 09-10-2009, 11:23 AM

914 posts, read 1,806,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NicoleJ View Post
My daughter wants to, but I refuse to let her until she's at least in middle school (she's in 4th grade right now.) What age were your girls when they started? Thanks.

I stole my dad's razor when I was in 7th grade and he was ANGRY! I didn't shave again until I was in 9th grade. I never really grew hair anyway.

Is it just me or is shaving WAY too early these days? If you don't have visible hair, why shave it?

Old 09-10-2009, 01:55 PM

758 posts, read 1,871,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuteishungry View Post
I stole my dad's razor when I was in 7th grade and he was ANGRY! I didn't shave again until I was in 9th grade. I never really grew hair anyway.

Is it just me or is shaving WAY too early these days? If you don't have visible hair, why shave it?
A lot of girls can have a lot hair by the time they are 9-11yrs old. They want to shave for the same reason adult women want to shave. If we say we are giving into vanity and society's pressure, by letting them shave that young, doesn't that sound a little hypocritical. There is no reason for adult women to shave other than not wanting to look hairy so why be surprised when daughters don't want to look hairy either.

Old 09-10-2009, 02:07 PM

444 posts, read 799,133 times
Wow. What a good thread. I have been trying to figure that one out too. My girl is a 7th grader and in volleyball and I told her she needed to shave her legs. She rolled her eyes and couldn't care less. Now I don't know whether to push the issue since she seems fine with her legs OR wait until someone makes fun of her (and breaks my heart) for her to decide it's time??
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting