Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 02:08 PM

1,532 posts, read 2,647,436 times

Advertisements

I think she had barely turned 10. The only reason it was this early was because she had alot of dark hair. It was pretty visible, so after awhile of her asking I gave in. If the hair had been less or lighter I probably would have stuck to my guns, because it is one of those things that once you start you can't stop - - - - the novelty wears off soon enough!!

I did go in with her and help her out the first time, and told her how the first time I shaved I did not ask my mom and just did it - - - - - I cut the whole front of my shin!! There were no secrets then....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2009, 02:20 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,065,882 times
If your daughter(s) need to please let them! There is nothing funny about being the hairy one while others make fun of you. Some girls develop faster and need to shave earlier. It is not 'age' but necessity!

Moms, also, if your daughters have thick eyebrows, show them how to trim them/pluck them. I was in 7th grade made fun of often. Okay it was the Brooke Shield thick is in era but I felt so weird.

Old 09-10-2009, 06:52 PM

691 posts, read 2,328,334 times
The only problem with the eyebrows, is that now, my teenage daughter is addicted to getting her eyebrows waxed. They have to be perfect, or she goes crazy.

There are so many battles to choose when our daughters are getting older, that the small ones, are, in my opinion not really that big of a deal. Maintaining a relationship is more important than deciding what age a child should be to do...whatever...

After all, I had a friend who did not discuss sex or birth control with her daughter, because she believed she was too young to be doing that stuff, and at age 15....her daughter came home and told her she was pregnant. So, we may think our daughter's are not old enough to wear make up or shave legs, or whatever, but it is better to discuss it openly and hear what she thinks, and how she feels, rather than make an arbitrary decision that "she is not old enough for..." after all...you never know.

Old 09-10-2009, 07:02 PM

9,367 posts, read 25,203,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
If your daughter(s) need to please let them! There is nothing funny about being the hairy one while others make fun of you. Some girls develop faster and need to shave earlier. It is not 'age' but necessity!

Moms, also, if your daughters have thick eyebrows, show them how to trim them/pluck them. I was in 7th grade made fun of often. Okay it was the Brooke Shield thick is in era but I felt so weird.
I agree totally. My GD wanted to get her lip waxed at 11. I thought that was crazy, but she said that she was being made fun of BC she had a "moustach". I dismissed it the first couple times that she asked, in case it was a passing thing. But finally told her that I didn't think that she needed to do it, but if it was that important to her, we'd have it done. She has the most gorgeous, thick, wavy dark brown hair, I guess the peachfuzz on the upper lip is a small price to pay.

She hasn't mentioned her eyebrows yet. I pray that she doesn't for a long time BC she is striking (her mom is black and my GD looks more like Halle Berry than Halle's own child) and she is developing....if she has shaped brows she will look much older than she is. I already get p'ed off when I see guys looking at her!

Old 09-10-2009, 07:34 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,227,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HIF View Post
I agree totally. My GD wanted to get her lip waxed at 11. I thought that was crazy, but she said that she was being made fun of BC she had a "moustach". I dismissed it the first couple times that she asked, in case it was a passing thing. But finally told her that I didn't think that she needed to do it, but if it was that important to her, we'd have it done. She has the most gorgeous, thick, wavy dark brown hair, I guess the peachfuzz on the upper lip is a small price to pay.

She hasn't mentioned her eyebrows yet. I pray that she doesn't for a long time BC she is striking (her mom is black and my GD looks more like Halle Berry than Halle's own child) and she is developing....if she has shaped brows she will look much older than she is. I already get p'ed off when I see guys looking at her!

I totally agree except for the upper lip thing. By the time she is in her twenties and thirties she will not be able to go a week without waxing. The hair will be so thick and grow so much faster. You have set her up for a lifetime of hair removal. The wax idiots love to wax too low, thus removing side lip and under lip and cheek. Then it leads to face and side burns and chin and neck. Then she will be shaving and/or waxing her stomach and upper legs and toes and fingers and arms.

It will not stop. It never does. Those with peach fuzz are considered the most beautiful in many countries.

MAdonna's daughter is one of the most beautiful girls in the world. Hair is hair. Society has made it such a stigma. Parents are not helping. Why add to it? Why make her feel like she SHOULD be embarrassed by allowing her to remove it and basically agreeing it is "ugly?"

I'm sure you are a great mother. But this is something I have dealt with in family and friends and the info I've gotten from my electrolosis friend. It's a long rode of being uncomfortable with her body. Stop it before it continues

http://images.nymag.com/images/2/dai...es_250x375.jpg

Old 09-10-2009, 07:46 PM

746 posts, read 2,175,459 times
I gave in and let my daughter start shaving her legs this summer, she turned 11 in July. She has beautiful dark hair and her legs really show it. As well as her lower back, upper lip, etc. She uses one of those razors with the wires that make it hard to cut yourself. She has complained about the mustache problem too, but I'm not ready to let her do anything about that one yet. Thanks miasmommy for the words of advice on that score. I would hate for her to have to deal with worse issues down the road. I do wonder though about when and what to do about it. I mean the poor girl has worse facial hair than I do!

Old 09-10-2009, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geekduo View Post
I gave in and let my daughter start shaving her legs this summer, she turned 11 in July. She has beautiful dark hair and her legs really show it. As well as her lower back, upper lip, etc. She uses one of those razors with the wires that make it hard to cut yourself. She has complained about the mustache problem too, but I'm not ready to let her do anything about that one yet. Thanks miasmommy for the words of advice on that score. I would hate for her to have to deal with worse issues down the road. I do wonder though about when and what to do about it. I mean the poor girl has worse facial hair than I do!

My mom always said that "none of this will matter in after highschool." And come to think of it, many things didn't really matter after Freshman year. Let her do other things. My mom let me wear eye makeup at 13 but never let me remove the hair on my upper lip. It helped. I got made fun of a few times but like I said, it eventually doesn't matter and children turn into teens and then those teens give up. Her attitude about herself is what matters. If she is insecure, people will notice THAT more than her facial hair.

Maybe lighten it? But be careful with that because you can trade a dark one for a white mustache

Old 09-10-2009, 09:36 PM

758 posts, read 1,871,515 times
Waxing does not make hair grow back thicker or darker, that is an old wives tale. Shaving only makes appear like it is coming back darker and thicker because when it starts to grow out it does not come out a new hair, like waxing, it comes out as a stump of a hair and when that hair's life is done the hair that replaces it will be just like the old hair.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
Waxing does not make hair grow back thicker or darker, that is an old wives tale. Shaving only makes appear like it is coming back darker and thicker because when it starts to grow out it does not come out a new hair, like waxing, it comes out as a stump of a hair and when that hair's life is done the hair that replaces it will be just like the old hair.

I'm sorry but this is not true.

I don't care what any sites say.

I'm sorry, ask ANY woman who has waxed her whole life or shaved her bikini line or anywhere else for that matter. If you let that hair grow out, it is NOT peach fuzz anymore No way, not even close. The hair is courser, thicker and darker and longer. For sure. No question.

Old 09-11-2009, 08:30 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
It probably varies by person and skin type. My waxer has waxed for years and years, and her leg hair--if it grows in at all--looks like wispy cotton candy. Waxing can destroy your hair follicles over time, making it difficult for any hair to grow. Some women have the opposite effect, and fine hair becomes coarse and dark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting