Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2009, 12:31 AM

1,450 posts, read 4,252,122 times

Advertisements

Oh, go ahead and feed your baby! Don't give people a "warning" first, what are they going to do, stop you in the middle?

But I do recall one time I was offended by a BFing mom in a restaurant, but so was everyone else. She comes in all dressed to the hilt, then, sitting in the middle of the restaurant, unbuttons her blouse, unhooks her bra, both breasts flop out, starts feeding, little baby made very loud noises, and milk starts squirting out the other breast, I mean, it was a complete show! Gawd---how totally gross! We just aksed to be moved to another table, I mean, she made no attempt to cover up whatsoever, it was almost like something out of a bad comedy skit.

But I'm sure you will be more discreet than that!

I would just feed her, what can anyone do, throw you off the plane?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2009, 08:06 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,692,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisanmos View Post
I try hard to nurse her only at home or in the car. I also know of locations around town where I can do it behind doors. However, I am taking a long flight to Europe and will be nursing my LO. Another poster said that I have to be discreet so that others won't be angered by NIP.

What would you do in this situation?

And YES, I am going to cover up.
On a plane there's quite a bit of privacy as far as the whole plane goes, hopefully you could have a row of seats to yourself for a number of reasons, or you have a family member or friend who would sit next to you or could rearrange seating to be with family oriented types.

Too bad they don't try to seat families together on planes. Sitting with an infant next to a business traveler for example isn't always happy for any one.

Old 09-12-2009, 08:37 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,511,398 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisanmos View Post
Okay, I agree with the drama part. I changed my OP. But I am nervous about flying so I am trying to avoid the drama on the plane
So I just called the airline and they suggested that I speak to the flight attendants to give them a heads up. They may allow me to use the galley when they are done with food preparation. I am sure my LO will be more than happy to go back there. Thanks for the smack in the head.
Yes, speak to the attendants right away. It's a "working relationship", so it goes both ways...a little nice here, a little firm there...and both sides will help one another.

For such a long flight, I am sure that there are several ways that nursing moms can be & are accomodated.

When I flew & nursed, they did not allow me to use the galley due to liability & safety, but made a really strong effort in keep the bathroom flow smoothly as that is where I would nurse.

Other than that, work at getting an aisle seat, that way you have some elbow room.

I nursed several times on a plane (usually only 5-6 hour flights) & honestly never ran into a problem from other passengers or attendants.

Don't worry, really, most people do not stop, stare and gawk at a nursing mom. And for international flights (I've been on several), most either want the flight over due to fear of flying or have plugged in their earphones to their computer and are watching a movie.

Keep in mind that several airports have nursing rooms available...check out if the one you are using for the international has one. It should.

Old 09-12-2009, 11:51 AM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,038 times
I think you're a little paranoid honestly. Like you're expecting an issue. Why on earth would anyone care and if they do they are definitely in the minority, tell them to @#$% off.

Is this your first child? Cause I have to say, flying cross country with an 18mth and 3yr old is WAY more inconvenient to other passengers than a little baby nursing.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:43 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,536,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kek1993 View Post
The question really is, what is wrong with our society that we feel like we have to hide to feed a baby? Like, nursing is a shameful act that must be hidden.

I think you can nurse when ever you want, if you feel more comfortable with a blanket over you, that is fine. But don't feel like you have to accomodate people who have issues with a mother doing something normal and natural.
Not to get into the whole breastfeeding in public debate but.......
Lots of things are normal and natural but you don't do them in public.
It's usually the women that made a big production out of what they're doing...loudly proclaiming they have a right to do this that cause the ruckus.
Contrary to the News reports at the Chickfila here recently, that's exactly what happened.
I liked the cover because I always felt is created a cozy cocoon. Not because I was trying to hide anything. It was just our private time.

To the OP..don't worry about it..like others said it will also help with his/her poor little ears.

Old 09-12-2009, 01:52 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
Are you getting just the one seat or are others flying with you or are you buying a second seat for the baby?

My only issue ever with nursing on a plane was that its a bit awkward b/c you are crammed in there like sardines. Having the room of a second seat would help a lot. Or like someone else said, an aisle seat gives you a little room too.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:18 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,775 times
Talking Many of you made me LOL!

Marylee54-That is too funny and gross at the same time because I know if I did it at a resturant, that same thing would happen to me. That is why I do it behind doors. Gosh, there are ways to stop that other breast from squirting.

Lisdol-we bought a seat for her so she can sit in a carseat. From what I read, the carseat has to be by the window or between two seats. So I have to sit in the aisle. My husband will sit across the row.

To all posters - you are right. I was really nervous about the whole thing. To tell the truth, I think most nursing moms just do what I do already, that is, be discreet. That is probably why I don't see them out in public. I really do keep nursing private out of respect for others. Lately, LO wont nurse if other people are around so that is another reason.

Anyway, thanks for your words. I feel better already.

Old 09-12-2009, 02:24 PM

The carseat always had to be in the window spot when we flew. The flight attendants insisted on it b/c then it won't block egress to the aisle.

I would just turn slightly to face the carseat then to give you the maximum room and maximum privacy possible.

Don't worry. Changing a poopy diaper requires far more agility! Those changing tables that fold down over the toilet hardly fit any baby larger than a newborn.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:26 PM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,775 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
The carseat always had to be in the window spot when we flew. The flight attendants insisted on it b/c then it won't block egress to the aisle.

I would just turn slightly to face the carseat then to give you the maximum room and maximum privacy possible.

Don't worry. Changing a poopy diaper requires far more agility! Those changing tables that fold down over the toilet hardly fit any baby larger than a newborn.
lisdol Have you ever heard of a flight attendant forcing a parent to turn around a carseat so that it is forward facing? Somebody mentioned that if the person in front cannot recline far enough because of a seat that is rear-facing, they can complain and have the seat forward facing. The baby is not yet ready for forward facing.

Old 09-12-2009, 07:37 PM

We had a infant seat (which is RF only) on the plane and no one made us turn it around but I can't speak for what the official rules are. I think your seat would have to be pretty big to prevent reclining b/c those airline seats don't go too far anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting