U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 06:17 AM

2,726 posts, read 4,952,570 times

Advertisements

I try hard to nurse her only at home or in the car. I also know of locations around town where I can do it behind doors. However, I am taking a long flight to Europe and will be nursing my LO. Another poster said that I have to be discreet so that others won't be angered by NIP.

What would you do in this situation?

And YES, I am going to cover up.

Last edited by crisan; 09-11-2009 at 06:45 AM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 06:23 AM

4,507 posts, read 8,616,647 times
Considering that nothing has even happened yet I'm not at all sure what you are complaining about. Hypothetical harassment?? Predetermined drama?? They are trying to starve your baby...may be a bit over dramatic since you are sitting at home right now and only going on the word of another poster.

Call the airline and ask what their rules are regarding BFing on the flight, at the gate, etc. It seems that you are already somewhat discreet...I'd think a little blanket would more than suffice, providing for your comfort, that of your baby and those around you.

I have never, ever, heard of, seen or experienced anyone getting upset with a mother who was breast feeding and covered up. Not to say it doesn't happen, just saying you are worrying about nothing right now.

Old 09-11-2009, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
Considering that nothing has even happened yet I'm not at all sure what you are complaining about. Hypothetical harassment?? Predetermined drama?? They are trying to starve your baby...may be a bit over dramatic since you are sitting at home right now and only going on the word of another poster.

Call the airline and ask what their rules are regarding BFing on the flight, at the gate, etc. It seems that you are already somewhat discreet...I'd think a little blanket would more than suffice, providing for your comfort, that of your baby and those around you.
Okay, I agree with the drama part. I changed my OP. But I am nervous about flying so I am trying to avoid the drama on the plane
So I just called the airline and they suggested that I speak to the flight attendants to give them a heads up. They may allow me to use the galley when they are done with food preparation. I am sure my LO will be more than happy to go back there. Thanks for the smack in the head.

Last edited by crisan; 09-11-2009 at 06:47 AM..

Old 09-11-2009, 06:58 AM

5,065 posts, read 15,124,405 times
I think we are in a bad place in society if we have to worry about doing something as natural as feeding our baby. If you are discreet, I can't imagine other passengers minding. But then again, we've all heard the horror stories. Good luck!

Old 09-11-2009, 07:04 AM

6,044 posts, read 23,121,789 times
I don't blame you for worrying. I'd personally be fine with it (might be a little awkward to sit next to someone breastfeeding but I'd deal with it) but you never know. Good call to talk to the flight attendents about it, so they can be prepared if some jerk does whine. oooh, a breast! OMG!!!

Old 09-11-2009, 07:10 AM

5,065 posts, read 15,124,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by christina0001 View Post
I don't blame you for worrying. I'd personally be fine with it (might be a little awkward to sit next to someone breastfeeding but I'd deal with it) but you never know. Good call to talk to the flight attendents about it, so they can be prepared if some jerk does whine. oooh, a breast! OMG!!!

LOL, and babies can make loud slurping noises when bf, too. I imagine that might disturb some people who aren't used to being around nursing babies.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:14 AM

2,868 posts, read 9,197,612 times
I would talk to the attendents. Maybe they will seat you in a different place?? Maybe they can inform the people sitting next to you and offer them another seat if they can't deal with the god awful site of a woman nursing her babe (sarcasm here!)... Other then that, I would just bring a small blanket to cover up. Not that I agree with that but if you want to avoid any 'problems' from closed minded people...

Old 09-11-2009, 07:28 AM

8,176 posts, read 17,709,414 times
Personally?? I don't see a problem with it...on both sides of the issue the problems usually start with a neanderthal acting offended or the nursing mother making a big production out of it.

I say go for it.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andthentherewere3 View Post
LOL, and babies can make loud slurping noises when bf, too. I imagine that might disturb some people who aren't used to being around nursing babies.
Too true. My LO used to do that.

Old 09-11-2009, 07:41 AM

5,019 posts, read 13,563,808 times
Wow, your post took me back, waaaay back (my daughter is an adult).

I always always nursed during take-off and landing. I was told (by my pediatrician? MIL?) that it would help clear her ears. You know how babies will cry during those ascents and descents? One theory is that they don't know how to "pop" their ears. Not sure if that's still the advice being given.

I think most sane passengers, given the choice, would choose to sit next to a nursing baby, rather than a crying infant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting