Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 07:33 AM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times

Advertisements

For anyone who thinks the vaccines are not necessary, and are only being pushed to make money for the pharma industry, would it change your mind if it were FREE? H1N1 vaccination is supposed to be free, provided by the CDC. Only an admin fee can be charged. Does that change anyone's mind? Just curious.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 07:46 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
For anyone who thinks the vaccines are not necessary, and are only being pushed to make money for the pharma industry, would it change your mind if it were FREE? H1N1 vaccination is supposed to be free, provided by the CDC. Only an admin fee can be charged. Does that change anyone's mind? Just curious.
No. Cost isn't the issue for us.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:00 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,279,685 times
Quote:
No, cost is not the issue for us, our insurance would pay in full.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:23 AM

214 posts, read 565,183 times
Default A FREE vaccine?

Quote:
No would not change my mind or plans.

But it makes me question why a new vaccine is free. . .and why is an organization like the CDC offering it to the general public for free? Perhaps "non-official" clinical study/trial?

Old 09-17-2009, 09:27 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,932,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeplessnATL View Post
No would not change my mind or plans.

But it makes me question why a new vaccine is free. . .and why is an organization like the CDC offering it to the general public for free? Perhaps "non-official" clinical study/trial?

Citizen, you are dangerously close to displaying cynicism towards your Most Benevolent Government. We have only Your Best Interests at heart.

You will trust Us.

Reported: Incident #: C-0909171027-A

Old 09-17-2009, 09:27 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
I think this is a VERY personal decision and that really, YOUR decision is not WRONG based on random posters on the internet.

There is a wealth of knowledge to learn about viruses and infections from accurate and reliable sources. WHO has a fascinating website & as another poster mentioned, WHO is not run by quack science or pharm. companies.....

Your child is not my child and how your child gets sick is not how mine gets sick and how your husband gets sick is not how mine gets sick and the neighbors down the street or all your coworkers or every single kid at school...so, what EVERYONE else is doing...doesn't mean squat...

Empower yourself with knowledge from ALL sources...not just one sided.

And one thing to learn from this is: if your kids are sick with the common cold and have a runny nose...football practice can wait and spelling test can wait...keep them home, let them get 100% better. And if you are sick, you don't need to go to Target to pick up the towels that are on sale. Stay home.

I'm more worried about the kids who go to school with hacking coughs and runny noses (which are the COMMON COLD & NOT the flu) & spread it around when it could have been avoided had they stayed home.

Again, this is a PERSONAL decision and if you have done your research and feel confident, go with it. This is getting like the endless formula/nursing debate...your boobs aren't mine and your baby isn't mine...so what YOU do is YOUR perogative & NO ONE has the right to make you feel bad or put FEAR into you!!!!!!!!!!

Some of these posts are borderline ridiculous.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:31 AM

3,842 posts, read 10,512,087 times
Quote:
Because we live in a country where everyone knows more than the next person & they'll knock each other down to prove it...........

And the more we can blame the government, the better b/c living in a free country isn't good enough for some............

I think it would do a lot some good to live in a 3rd world country or a communist country for a few weeks...if they would even make it THAT long.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:35 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
No that would not change my mind and by the way, the vaccination is not free, our taxes are paying for it.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:41 AM

5,644 posts, read 13,228,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
You need a better doctor. Our pedi won't prescribe anything unless he knows it will help. He sends us home without prescriptions for anything virus-related, and sends us home if their fever is under 102 or has persisted less than a week. He'll take our money if we want a flu shot, but he's very matter-of-fact about the chances of it actually doing any good ("probably won't do any good"). He is not an anti-vaccination doctor, he is an anti-useless vaccination doctor.

The problem with the flu shot is that it eliminates the fairly common and weak strains of flu from propagating (if it works), thus leaving stronger and stronger variants to develop. So everyone is "safe" from weak flu, but open to stronger flus that survive immunization. It's basic evolution. If you make it difficult for the weak to survive, the entire strain gets stronger. What we should be doing is immunizing against the *worst* flu's,and only the worst, thus encouraging weak, easily survivable and manageable flu's instead of the nasty, deadly ones. If it is easy for the weak flu to survive, there is less pressure for the flu to evolve into a deadlier strain.
This isn't "basic evolution"...

This is completely backwards.

This isn't how viruses mutate and it isn't how the flu vaccines are designed to work.

Vaccines aren't equivalent to antibiotics, they don't "wipe out" weaker strains of flu. Vaccines promote the production of antibodies to a specific strain of virus so that your own immune system will kick in when/if it is exposed to the same/similar antigen(virus) in the future.

Viruses, like other micro organisms "evolve" through random mutations and natural selection. This evolution will occur with or without "pressure" from vaccinated individuals.

Flu vaccines are already designed to combat the presumed dominant strain of the season, it isn't possible to protect from all possible strains.

There is no biologic rationale to allowing "weak flu's" to survive.

Old 09-17-2009, 09:46 AM

214 posts, read 565,183 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
Citizen, you are dangerously close to displaying cynicism towards your Most Benevolent Government. We have only Your Best Interests at heart.

You will trust Us.

Reported: Incident #: C-0909171027-A
Trust is a hard thing to earn. . .especially when one knows that if there was something catastrophic (i.e., outbreak) to happen, the government would take over your physicians job (the one's we all trust). . .because they do not "trust" their ability to control the allocation of medicine and medical care. The government (military) will determine who will get medical attention. . .who will live, who will die.

No cynicism here, just fact. . .

Back to the topic at hand. . .for those who are still grappling with this subject: do what you KNOW is best regarding your health. Make sure you have investigated and understand your decisions. Because ultimately it is YOUR life. . .and you only have one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting