Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2009, 01:48 PM

47 posts, read 165,744 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a single parent, just moved to a new area with kids, paid for after school but wasn't prepared for the 3rd day of school phone call saying my kid had a queasy stomache and I should pick him up. It was 12:30 and I'm almost 2 hours away from them and made it there late, boss was upset somewhat. They are 5 and 9 years old. I know at the old neighborhood I could call a sister to pick them up. I don't have that luxury anymore.

Assuming you have no relatives nearby, what are some options you'd look into in case this happens during the day when most babysitters are in school and you don't know any stay at home parents?

Thanks to all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2009, 02:30 PM

414 posts, read 1,862,843 times
I saw a business being advertised in my community that may help you if you have one in your area. It's called a Child Shuttle, Kid Taxi, etc. Basically they pick up your child and take them from point A to point B. They're licensed professionals (do your research). The one in my community is owned by a married couple. The husband and adult children run the taxi business and the wife owns a licensed in-home daycare. If you can't find one in that joint capacity, you could do some research on drop in day-care centers, and get set up for a future occurence. Sometimes they'll take kids in with illnesses as long as they're not communicable. The taxi service could pick up your child and drop them at an hourly center until you could leave work to get them. It's not ideal, but could work in your situation.

This link is an example of one business like this Welcome to Child Shuttle - your kid taxi (http://www.childshuttle.com/home.htm - broken link).

Here's another example KruiZin' KidZ Shuttle; kids transportation for St John, Julington Creek Plantation, County Road 210 Corridor, Durbin Crossing, Aberdeen Florida / FL (http://www.kruizinkidzshuttle.com/stjohns-transportation-services.html - broken link).

Good luck with your kids. I can't imagine how hard it must be raising them without familial support. Hope you find a solution.

Old 09-11-2009, 02:56 PM

47 posts, read 165,744 times
thanks, I'll definitely look into it and appreciate your answer alot

Old 09-11-2009, 03:09 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,171,415 times
I don't know about a kid's shuttle service, but I do know a drop in day care center is NOT going to want a sick kid anymore than the school does. I'm afraid your only viable option may be leaving work to pick your kid up. I do believe that if you or a family member that you care for is ill, you can not be made to stay at work. You could take Family Medical Leave if you had to. Is there a stay at home mom, perhaps the mother of your child's friend, or a neighbor that you could call on, and perhaps offer to pay to pick up and watch your sick kid?

I was a working mom with a baby who was sick constantly, so I know how emotionally draining it can be. I left work many, many times. Fortunately I had an understanding boss. Good luck.

Old 09-11-2009, 03:26 PM

304 posts, read 1,326,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I don't know about a kid's shuttle service, but I do know a drop in day care center is NOT going to want a sick kid anymore than the school does. I'm afraid your only viable option may be leaving work to pick your kid up. I do believe that if you or a family member that you care for is ill, you can not be made to stay at work. You could take Family Medical Leave if you had to. Is there a stay at home mom, perhaps the mother of your child's friend, or a neighbor that you could call on, and perhaps offer to pay to pick up and watch your sick kid?

I was a working mom with a baby who was sick constantly, so I know how emotionally draining it can be. I left work many, many times. Fortunately I had an understanding boss. Good luck.

Not always the case. In my city there are 2 centers that I can think off that have specialized care (the children are isolated from the main group of kids) for sick kids. I am not sure about a pick up service though. And honestly, unless you are an exec, making 6 figures +, this is extremely costly alternative to you just forfeiting a day of work.

I know it is frustrating, as I am a single parent as well, and had a boss who did not take kindly to me having to leave work to take kids to doc appts and pick them up when they were sick. I once went and got my son and brought him back to the office with me, another time I had to take off because my son had the flu, and I ended up dialing in and working remotely from home to do most of my work. When my son was feeling better and back at school, I was able to work additional hours to "catch up" with work, and also I did this as a way of making my boss understand I do take my job seriously.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:20 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
I might ask someone at the school if there are any SAHMs who might be willing to help you out in this respect.

Perhaps you could write up a "job offer" and post it at the school or local grocery store, or ask your child's teacher or nurse to pass it on to a few SAHMs on your behalf.

That is probably what I'd try to do.

I am a SAHM, and if someone asked me to do this, I might be willing to. (But not if the person's kid ended up coming home sick 2x a week, that would just be annoying)

Old 09-11-2009, 04:41 PM

2,779 posts, read 5,500,663 times
Just a note on the SAHM thing, offer to PAY them and have more than one to call. As a SAHM, I'm frankly annoyed that I'm used as an emergency babysitter for kids in our neighborhood. I can't be expected to be at the beck and call of working mothers all of the time. There is a woman that used to call me and was annoyed if I'm too busy to deal with her child for her...I signed up to stay at home with my kids, not within a 5 mile radius of your daycare center and be available whenever you need me. Obviously, I am of course willing to help a good friend once in a while, just not as a standing arrangement for whenever something pops up.

If you offer to pay them and have more than one person to call, I think there's no room for annoyance and a SAHM might be a good option. But I have to be honest, I wouldn't want a sick child in my house with my kids.

Old 09-11-2009, 04:53 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,801,056 times
I am in a similar situation (no family close and spouse works away). I have a couple of additional suggestions: Sick care; your employer may have drop in day care; or dm me about a website that you can advertise on that with a well placed ad I found excellent emergency babysitters; and I have a couple on call. good luck.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:07 PM

304 posts, read 1,326,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StilltheSame View Post
I am in a similar situation (no family close and spouse works away). I have a couple of additional suggestions: Sick care; your employer may have drop in day care; or dm me about a website that you can advertise on that with a well placed ad I found excellent emergency babysitters; and I have a couple on call. good luck.

Oh yeah, I totally forgot about this option. It would probably work out better anyway because with any luck this person could be your back up/on-call sitter for other situations as well, not just sick care. I use and have hired sitters of care dot com; there are a few other sites doing the same thing. It is essentially a match making site for caregivers and those wanting care. They do the background checks and you just have to do your due diligence to interview and test your comfort level with the individuals.

Old 09-11-2009, 05:14 PM

42,763 posts, read 52,860,632 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Momof3 View Post
Hi, I'm a single parent, just moved to a new area with kids, paid for after school but wasn't prepared for the 3rd day of school phone call saying my kid had a queasy stomache and I should pick him up. It was 12:30 and I'm almost 2 hours away from them and made it there late, boss was upset somewhat. They are 5 and 9 years old. I know at the old neighborhood I could call a sister to pick them up. I don't have that luxury anymore.

Assuming you have no relatives nearby, what are some options you'd look into in case this happens during the day when most babysitters are in school and you don't know any stay at home parents?

Thanks to all.
Find a daycare with after school kids. My daycare always has kids picked up from school stay there until parents can come and get them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting