Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 06:32 PM
JS1

1,896 posts, read 6,767,525 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegirlinaz View Post
I think breast feeding in public is weird. I don't have any children, so that may be a factor.. but a few weeks ago we were eating at Red Lobster and the girl in the booth next to us was breast feeding her child in the restaurant while we were eating! I thought it was very uncomfortable..
OK, so it's weird for a baby to eat, but not for you? How do you expect the baby to survive? Many years in the future, he should also be able to go out to eat at Red Lobster just like you, which means he needs to eat now, otherwise he will die.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-20-2009, 06:35 PM

2,709 posts, read 6,314,495 times
I don't have children myself, but I have no problem whatsoever with public breastfeeding. I don't find it offensive or odd or conspicuous or anything like that. What can be more natural and necessary than feeding one's infant? (I've also never seen a woman breastfeeding with her boob all hanging out. Every woman I've ever seen do this in public has draped herself discreetly and I never even saw the boob.)

(I did have a funny story from my early 20s when I was delivering pizzas. I knocked on the door and the female homeowner invited me in and led me to the kitchen so she could write a check. There were several little kids in the kitchen and also another woman who was sitting at the bar and breastfeeding her infant son. While I was waiting on the other lady to write the check, I started talking to this little 4-year-old chatterbox of a girl. She told me she was having pizza for dinner and then out of the blue informed me that that -- she pointed at the breastfeeding baby -- was her little brother, but he didn't eat pizza...he only ate boobs. )

Old 09-20-2009, 07:41 PM

1,384 posts, read 4,294,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JS1 View Post
OK, so it's weird for a baby to eat, but not for you? How do you expect the baby to survive? Many years in the future, he should also be able to go out to eat at Red Lobster just like you, which means he needs to eat now, otherwise he will die.
I am not saying it is weird for a baby to eat out. It is the fact there is a woman's breast hanging out five feet away from me.. because that is exactly what I want to see when I am eating out, yum.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:13 PM

280 posts, read 603,722 times
Where are they supposed to go? Most women will NOT breastfeed their babies in toilet stalls, or their parked car in the garage. When out and about, they want to feed/soothe the baby ASAP. They will mostly try to be discreet, but some get nervous, the baby grabs here or there, and it's hard enough to be in public. This is new to them as well! They are tired, the baby is fussy, nothing else matters at that point. Sitting on a toilet seat, trying to breastfeed is an awful option. There is never a little nook in a woman's bathroom to breastfeed. As long as there is a lack of proper family/nursing areas in malls, parks, museums, life will go on and you will see mothers feed their babies, simple as that.

Old 09-20-2009, 09:40 PM

3,748 posts, read 12,403,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ResearchMom View Post
Where are they supposed to go? Most women will NOT breastfeed their babies in toilet stalls, or their parked car in the garage. When out and about, they want to feed/soothe the baby ASAP. They will mostly try to be discreet, but some get nervous, the baby grabs here or there, and it's hard enough to be in public. This is new to them as well! They are tired, the baby is fussy, nothing else matters at that point. Sitting on a toilet seat, trying to breastfeed is an awful option. There is never a little nook in a woman's bathroom to breastfeed. As long as there is a lack of proper family/nursing areas in malls, parks, museums, life will go on and you will see mothers feed their babies, simple as that.
For the record, I'm a mother of 2 and I breast fed both of them. That said, I never EVER had the desire or need to whip a boob out in public for any reason. When I couldn't be sure to have a private place to nurse, I pumped and bottle it. It may be a natural thing but that doesn't mean it has to be a public event.

Old 09-20-2009, 11:50 PM

3,106 posts, read 9,123,516 times
I BF'd briefly and believe that when possible, breast is best. I do not have a problem with anyone who chooses to BF their child in public. They should feel comfortable to do it no matter what. It's too bad some people get squeamish but BFing is one of the most natural things in the world.

That being said, I've personally been uncomfortable by women who whip their boobs out & let them hang out completely exposed while getting their child ready - then they look around as if to see if anyone is going to dare say something. I mean - really? What is THAT for? It's also happened to us on a few occasions when we've gone out with a friend. I just don't see the need to do that. Accidentally because of a fussy child or being new at it? Sure. It happens. But there ARE some women who don't care what others think. You can be discrete and need not expose yourself to everyone in the room. JMHO. However, I would never get confrontational or ugly about it with anyone. Don't like what you see? Move on...ignore...whatever. On a plane? Well, just deal with it. Baby has to eat.

ETA: Just wanted to add that I am happy to see that all the malls that I've been to in our area are quite family friendly with separate BFing areas - from curtained booths with simple easy chairs, foot stools & soft-lighting to family-friendly rest rooms.

Last edited by Sampaguita; 09-21-2009 at 12:01 AM..

Old 09-21-2009, 12:23 AM

8,292 posts, read 26,671,830 times
Over the years I've been around a lot of nursing mothers - including my wife who nursed our 3 kids.

I've yet to see one do anything that wasn't discreet. Seems like they always toss a small blanket over their shoulder, undo the equipment, and hook up the baby. It just doesn't seem like a big deal at all.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:17 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Omaha Rocks View Post
Over the years I've been around a lot of nursing mothers - including my wife who nursed our 3 kids.

I've yet to see one do anything that wasn't discreet. Seems like they always toss a small blanket over their shoulder, undo the equipment, and hook up the baby. It just doesn't seem like a big deal at all.

Myabe I just live in a corner of the world where bf'ing women are discreet but I have never seen anyone just whip out their boob and expose it while bf'ing or getting ready to bf.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:46 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Breastfeeding moms are generally the sweetest group of women you could EVER meet.
Oh, how silly.

Breastfeeding women are like any other group of women. Some are lovely, and some are complete drama queens. Some have a sense of decorum and yes, there are a few who will flop 'em out and dare you to make a comment. It's the rudeness people are irritated by, IME, not the presence or absence of breasts. Generally, the floppers are also the women who think it's also okay to mow people down in the aisles of Sears with their mondo strollers and later, allow little Isabella to run wild in restaurants.

And, ftr, I'm a former LLL leader, so I'm hardly anti-nursing or anti-child.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:51 AM

4,469 posts, read 7,194,312 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Myabe I just live in a corner of the world where bf'ing women are discreet but I have never seen anyone just whip out their boob and expose it while bf'ing or getting ready to bf.
Well, admittedly, I live in Florida, idiot capital of the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting