Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 01:44 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
Not if you're nursing on demand.

Yes, nursing IS on demand. It is not like the bottle in any way. Even the bottle should be on demand. No one should eat on a schedule, it's not natural. You eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full.

I'm with Yodi. For sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-22-2009, 02:19 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,479,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
Yes, you nailed us, dj. Clearly anyone who is in favor of a little decorum is clearly a repressed pervert who was sodomized with a Playtex nurser by the entire Sixth Fleet before their first birthday.
Decorum? You ought to be beaten about the head with my wife's 38DDs.

Old 09-22-2009, 02:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Decorum? You ought to be beaten about the head with my wife's 38DDs.
Haahhahahhaha! I love you when you aren't harping on MY posts!!!

I thought decorum meant acting/dressing polite and proper?

Wouldn't that mean any meathead who poked their noses into a nursing situation would NOT be practicing "dcorum?"

Old 09-23-2009, 01:06 AM

58 posts, read 307,071 times
And yet, if these mothers didn't nurse their babies and the babies were screaming their heads off, people would b*tch about that. Give it a rest already.

(And yes, there ARE some breastfeeding mothers who are complete, honest-to-God jerks, scowling at anybody and ready to whip out their printed pamphlet o'laws at anybody who looks in their general direction. But the vast, VAST majority of women are just trying to feed their kids, and the laws back them up. So deal.)

Old 09-23-2009, 01:26 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
Not if you're nursing on demand.
If you know your baby you can. Assuming, of course, that you're actually interacting with your child and meeting her needs, and not just using the breast as a pacifier.

Old 09-23-2009, 01:29 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,195,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Haahhahahhaha! I love you when you aren't harping on MY posts!!!

I thought decorum meant acting/dressing polite and proper?

Wouldn't that mean any meathead who poked their noses into a nursing situation would NOT be practicing "dcorum?"

Decorum has as much to do with behavior as with dress. Of course, in the context of this discussion, either could suffice.

Of course, given dj's fantasies, I don't suppose it matters-- his 2 dimensional "wife"'s staples would preclude breastfeeding, anyway.

Old 09-23-2009, 02:14 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
If you know your baby you can. Assuming, of course, that you're actually interacting with your child and meeting her needs, and not just using the breast as a pacifier.
You used to be a LLL leader? Really????

Do you understand what nursing on demand means? Do you understand how frequently newborns and small babies nurse? Do you understand that babies nurse more often when they are going through growth spurts or teething or making a developmental leap which means that you can not always predict when your baby will need to nurse. Do you ever leave the house for more then a few hours at a time?

Old 09-23-2009, 09:52 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,808 times
The only thing I have for breastfeeding in public is this....

The other day I was at walmart and I saw a baby cry. The mother was unconcerned until the baby began to wail loudly. She propped a bottle in the baby's mouth and turned her back from her child, plastic bottle offensively hanging out of a child's mouth--no blanket to try and hide it or anything, but I also noticed the mothers lack of connection with her child. Sad. Heck, even doctors and nurses at hospitals tell you when your child is born, if you choose to bottle feed, it is even better for the baby if you undress your child to their diaper and lift your shirt (mom or dad) and feed your child with skin to skin contact. The emotional long term development for your child is very much benefited from this.

Quote:
While infant formula is highly regulated, baby bottles are not. Only the materials of the teat and bottle itself are specifically regulated in some countries (e.g. British Standards BS 7368:1990 "Specification for babies' elastomeric feeding bottle teats" [1]). In the USA, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) also regulates teats[2] and the bottle materials. In 1985 it tightened allowable levels of nitrosamines released from bottle teats[3]. A 1999 Consumer Reports study suggesting that plastic bottles release unsafe amounts of bisphenol A was denounced as sensationalism because of the unreasonable conditions the bottles were subject to[4][5]. Findings since, however, have renewed the initial concerns (see Bisphenol A - Possible Health Risks). [6] [7] [8] [9] More research is needed.
Baby bottle: Information from Answers.com
AND (from the same site)
Quote:

Baby bottles are discouraged by the World Health Organization, which considers drinking from a cup safer.[SIZE=1][4][/SIZE]
hmmm...a thought on those cups....I'm not one for sippy cups. Too much crap sucked directly over the teeth. I'm thinking back....sitting around with family and passing my baby around. He was four months old and everyone wanted to hold him with that huge cup with a straw. Yup, all night it was "WOW, how did you teach him???" He had exclusively breastfed and we would not give him solid food until he figured it out. Not in like depriving him but rather taking advantage of his only knowledge of sucking. When he got his first juice dripped in his mouth from the end of the straw, his instinct was to suck. It took less than a day and he could drink from a silicone straw. The trick was to get one of those cups with the collapsible straws for the car and a really huge heavy glass cup for at home, one he could not lift or knock over and he would lean forward and drink out of it.

Back to the bottles....yet with all the concerns and scientific proof of the benefits of breastfeeding, no one seems to be offended by those big nasty plastic parental convenience crutches over what is best for the infant not only short sighted but long term as well. Did our kids have them? Sure, not often. The point is I would be more offended seeing those all day propped in to babies mouths than one lady putting the needs of her child first in public, regardless of the place, time, ect. Those offended by this must be offended by those science shows with aborignals with all hanging out. It natural. Get over it.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:26 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miasmommy View Post
Yes, nursing IS on demand. It is not like the bottle in any way. Even the bottle should be on demand. No one should eat on a schedule, it's not natural. You eat when you are hungry and stop when you are full.

I'm with Yodi. For sure.

Nursing IS on demand. Especially when that milk first comes in and just after your baby finishes a growth spurt (and there are many). Mom is BEGGING "PLEASE help relieve this child...NO? Ok, SOMEONE get me a hot pack cause my bra size quadrupled and I feel like I'm on the losing end of a boxing match." Your breasts make the milk your baby(s) demands. While in public you're eyes are darting everywhere for a place to relieve yourself. That is when breastfeeding in public doesn't seem nearly as bad compared to a soaked shirt. Had a guy at work once tell me he could help me when I was most obviously uncomfortable, (when I finally got my boss to listen to let me go, he asked me to save him a cup ) Besides that, he was more supportive than the boss so I forgave him but those are the real embarrassment you have to face that are much worse than the breastfeeding itself.

I remember how bad it was after my first child. I read a ton on helping with milk flow and the challenges after having a csection. I was ready with every tea, malt, everything I could find and I drank and ate a very "helpful" diet to do my best to help it all work. Well the milk came in fine....more than fine. They did not make bras that size. I had to wear my tall DH's 2XL shirts....which he never wore again cause I stretched them out in the chest area very noticeably. Boy did family who visited laugh their butts off at me. I didn't leave the house for two weeks (DH joked about wanted to go out and brag, lol. ok, NOT funny!) I litterly couldn't put my arms down cause they were in the way and besides, they'd start running like a facet on full blast. I knew better than to tap them dry cause they would keep on filling up but I broke down and broke in the pump. I had half my freezer filled in a week and then I started just pumping and dumping. I wouldn't empty myself completely cause I wanted to bring it down, just one 8 ounce bottle off each side to start with until finally it was less than a bottle for both together. I cried in pain and my baby could not latch on because I was stretched flat.

I learned a hard lesson. Let nature take it's own course, when nursing, keep those things away from DH's elbows at night, sleep with a big towel wrapped around them, AND breastfeeding is on demand. Not Baby's demand. Not Mom's demand. Nature's demand. If you do not follow nature, it will take its own course and the results will not be pleasant.

Old 09-24-2009, 06:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
The only thing I have for breastfeeding in public is this....

The other day I was at walmart and I saw a baby cry. The mother was unconcerned until the baby began to wail loudly. She propped a bottle in the baby's mouth and turned her back from her child, plastic bottle offensively hanging out of a child's mouth--no blanket to try and hide it or anything, but I also noticed the mothers lack of connection with her child. Sad. Heck, even doctors and nurses at hospitals tell you when your child is born, if you choose to bottle feed, it is even better for the baby if you undress your child to their diaper and lift your shirt (mom or dad) and feed your child with skin to skin contact. The emotional long term development for your child is very much benefited from this.

AND (from the same site)

hmmm...a thought on those cups....I'm not one for sippy cups. Too much crap sucked directly over the teeth. I'm thinking back....sitting around with family and passing my baby around. He was four months old and everyone wanted to hold him with that huge cup with a straw. Yup, all night it was "WOW, how did you teach him???" He had exclusively breastfed and we would not give him solid food until he figured it out. Not in like depriving him but rather taking advantage of his only knowledge of sucking. When he got his first juice dripped in his mouth from the end of the straw, his instinct was to suck. It took less than a day and he could drink from a silicone straw. The trick was to get one of those cups with the collapsible straws for the car and a really huge heavy glass cup for at home, one he could not lift or knock over and he would lean forward and drink out of it.

Back to the bottles....yet with all the concerns and scientific proof of the benefits of breastfeeding, no one seems to be offended by those big nasty plastic parental convenience crutches over what is best for the infant not only short sighted but long term as well. Did our kids have them? Sure, not often. The point is I would be more offended seeing those all day propped in to babies mouths than one lady putting the needs of her child first in public, regardless of the place, time, ect. Those offended by this must be offended by those science shows with aborignals with all hanging out. It natural. Get over it.

Perfect

I'm quite offended myself when I witness a mother prop a bottle in her kid's mouth without a second of personal connection Sad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting