Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 01:41 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,672,493 times

Advertisements

And also, there will be things his sister will have that she won't want to share either.

It's easier if some toys are meant to share, the toys with co-ownership must be shared, the others don't have to be.

It was funny, when my twins were infants, they had "almost" look alike blankets they were given as newborns and even at a couple months of age, they would not tolerate a switch of those blankets - they each knew their own blanket and didn't want to use the other's nor see the other using theirs. Adults can be the same way -- possessiveness over certain things is normal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 06:49 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
I can relate as my son was fascinated with letters and numbers since he was 2. On his first days of pre-school, at 2.5, the teacher asks what songs the kids like, -- expecting "Old MacDonald" and the like. My son starts singing "ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOP...".

But, that year of pre-school was really too early for him. With all his numbers and letters, he was not emotionally up to any structured environment.

One other outlet I found for him - let him type sometimes on the computer, in the Paint program that comes with Windows. He would sit and type in large letters, fulfilling his "letter need":

HOUSE
DAD
TRUCK
EVIL ( )
1+1=2
1+6=16
1+7=17

etc.

The "territorial" behavior is getting worse lately, as the kids are 4 and 6 They manage to fight over any small things, over a branch a leaf -- with thousands of other branches and leaves around Not speaking about toys even... Some days, it's like they are determined to drive me insane with their fights and tattling

Last edited by nuala; 09-21-2009 at 07:08 AM..

Old 09-21-2009, 07:15 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
The "territorial" behavior is getting worse lately, as the kids are 4 and 6 They manage to fight over any small things, over a branch a leaf -- with thousands of other branches and leaves around Not speaking about toys even... Some days, it's like they are determined to drive me insane with their fights and tattling
No kidding. Everyone says to me, that I am so lucky to have them close together (18months apart). But what they don't seem to realize, is that now I have to play referee pretty much non stop. Yeah it's great they can sleep in the same room, and they have a blast in the car together just doing silly things and he makes my daughter giggle a lot. Life was so much calmer when there was only one, especially since he could literally keep himself occupied for hours. Everything from reading out the numbers and letters, writing them, playing on the v-smile, and of course I'd read him books which he'd love now, but back then he'd just turn the pages really fast.

I know they are a blessing, but yeah, some days insanity seems likely at some point.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:22 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,449,299 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
No kidding. Everyone says to me, that I am so lucky to have them close together (18months apart). But what they don't seem to realize, is that now I have to play referee pretty much non stop. Yeah it's great they can sleep in the same room, and they have a blast in the car together just doing silly things and he makes my daughter giggle a lot. Life was so much calmer when there was only one, especially since he could literally keep himself occupied for hours. Everything from reading out the numbers and letters, writing them, playing on the v-smile, and of course I'd read him books which he'd love now, but back then he'd just turn the pages really fast.

I know they are a blessing, but yeah, some days insanity seems likely at some point.
Hey mine are 19 months apart and it was ME who thought I was lucky. (Well, I still think, in the back of my mind). If you haven't read "Siblings Without Rivalry", please do, before they drive you insane. That book keeps me sane... thanks goodness! Even though some car drives are becoming hair-standing affairs. ABSOLUTELY the same feeling - them being close and giggles and constant playing together, - but the fights, the whining!

Old 09-21-2009, 07:26 AM

3,256 posts, read 8,899,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nuala View Post
Hey mine are 19 months apart and it was ME who thought I was lucky. (Well, I still think, in the back of my mind). If you haven't read "Siblings Without Rivalry", please do, before they drive you insane. That book keeps me sane... thanks goodness! Even though some car drives are becoming hair-standing affairs. ABSOLUTELY the same feeling - them being close and giggles and constant playing together, - but the fights, the whining!
OMG- the whining!! Thanks, I'll look around for that book, suppose the library should have it too.

Old 12-07-2011, 12:22 PM

1 posts, read 558 times
I know this is from a while ago. But I havethe same thing going on with my son. He will be 3 in Jan. He has know his numbers and letters since he was a 11/2. But has gotten really obsessed the last 6 mo's. I took all of hisnumbers andleyters away but he knows how to spell and write and read a lot of words so he is still obsessing over them. I am worried that it could be a sign of autism with things I've read. Please let me know if it got better or you did anything to help it. Please!!!

Old 12-07-2011, 12:26 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,682,985 times
I could read by three. I'm not autistic. I also have not heard "early reader" related to autism before. What other traits do you observe that make you suspect autism?

Old 12-07-2011, 12:57 PM

14,294 posts, read 13,181,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
I'm more concerned about him being mean over them. I know kids can get possessive over their toys, but WOW. I'm thinking of putting the letters away, and only allowing him to play with them in a more controlled way. Also bringing in some books with letters a couple of dvd's that teach reading and other things. He isn't even 3 and he knows all his letters and numbers up to 30, so I don't think it will hurt him.
WHEN you can use your letters nicely, THEN you can play with them. I am putting them away. We can try again tomorrow.

Old 12-07-2011, 02:34 PM

2,814 posts, read 6,869,325 times
Obsessions are not a problem in and of itself at that age. Rather you need to look at the whole picture. Does he make eye contact, is he social, does he have other interests, is he flexible about other things? If all these other things are fine, don't worry about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting