Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:21 PM

1,215 posts, read 2,583,499 times

Advertisements

I am 44. No kids. Might be the worst decision of my life. Can't see the future.

For those of you with children. First of all, the undonditional love from young children must be amazing. I know that I can not imagine how good it must be.

Does the unconditional love change at all as your kids grow up? As they reach their teens, does it seem more conditional from them?

I would assume it does, but what do I know. Feel free to us how great it is and how it might change as they grow up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-17-2009, 06:28 PM

260 posts, read 947,099 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFOR View Post
First of all, the undonditional love from young children must be amazing. I know that I can not imagine how good it must be

I'm sorry, but when I read this stament I had to LOL. I have children that are between 2-7 yrs. old and their love does not seem unconditional to me, LOL. May be it is because my kids are spoiled brats. But they do love me though, in their own little crazy way I guess.
But if you are 44 and have the opportunity, you can always adopt a child that will love you as uncontiditionally as one of your own flesh and blood.

Old 09-17-2009, 06:36 PM

45,218 posts, read 100,712,871 times
Quote:

For those of you with children. First of all, the undonditional love from young children must be amazing. I know that I can not imagine how good it must be.

Does the unconditional love change at all as your kids grow up? As they reach their teens, does it seem more conditional from them?

I would assume it does, but what do I know. Feel free to us how great it is and how it might change as they grow up.

It's not just unconditional love - it's more like complete dependence at first that grows into love and then unconditional love

And not all teens love their parents unconditionally, that's for sure! Some do stay close to their parents then, but most have to assert their autonomy and pull away from their parents, rejecting them even. The good news is, if you had a good relationship with them before the teen years (one of respect and trust) you get them back again after the hormones stop raging

I had GREAT kids - no real problems with them - but they still put many grey hairs on my head and broke my heart a few times. THAT'S really what being a parent is like - and it's not for the faint of heart.

However, if you are up to the challenge it can be the most exquisitely beautiful experience in the world.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:27 PM

37,607 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:

Yeah I agree with the others...the unconditional love is from US to our KIDS. Not the other way around...at least not from the start. Dependent yes, looking up to you, yes, thinking you know everything in the world, yes, but I wouldn't call the love that you get from a young child, "unconditional".

As far as "how good it must be"...yes, the love that my son and I have for each other is difficult to put into words. We have the best mother and son relationship there could possibly be, and he has every bit as good a relationship with his father as well. He has become more aware of us as people as he gets older - more aware that we are only human, and therefore much more protective and more likely to be concerned about our lives rather than just his own. As much as I hate him growing up, it's wonderful to know that he's "got my back".

Old 09-18-2009, 12:25 PM

4,253 posts, read 9,451,800 times
Quote:

I'm 45. Late parenthood, 4 and 6 year olds. It's unbelievable how kids give you a purpose. I hug them and feel the strength they give me to go on. Maybe I feel more like half-parent, half-grandparent. In the way that I don't drive myself and them crazy with strictness, -- being long past the insecurities and the self-search. Being older, I feel I can appreciate them better.

Gosh, I can look at those sweet faces all day long... the flicker of smiles, concentration, thinking, silliness, the jokes they make up... Unconditional or not, that's a lot of love to just enjoy...

Old 09-18-2009, 01:00 PM

36,513 posts, read 30,847,571 times
Unconditional love is a one-way street from parent to child. It doesnt change when they become teens or adults it is just more painful.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:17 PM

8,518 posts, read 15,639,558 times
Quote:

I know this thread was meant for people with kids, but I just had to respond. First, the unconditional love is, like others have already stated, from the parent to the child. Parents love their kids no matter what. You could grow up to be a monster and your parents will probably still love you. But a child may grow up to hate or at least take their parent for granted. So if you're expecting unconditional love from a child, don't assume that. I don't think I ever showed my parents how much I loved them until I reached adulthood. The rest of the time, I probably took them for granted. If you want unconditional love, I'd say get a dog. I could be the biggest failure in the world and I know my dog will still love me. But a child? I could be the best parent, but if I don't live up to my child's expectations or give them everything they think I should, they could stop loving me for it. And if they blame me for how their life turned out, they may even hate me. I don't have kids, but I would never expect unconditional love from them. Instead, I would expect the exact opposite. Love with a LOT of conditions attached.

Old 09-18-2009, 01:19 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,373,791 times
My son has never shown me unconditional love; actually he's quite the opposite. He loves me when I'm bearing sweets, toys and Disney tickets; he hates me when I'm sending him to bed, brushing his hair, washing his face, making him eat veggies

Old 09-18-2009, 01:22 PM

4,941 posts, read 8,324,962 times
I get more unconditional love from my two dogs than I do my teenage son!

Old 09-18-2009, 01:29 PM

2,406 posts, read 7,902,107 times
My teenager shows me unconditional love....in fact I would say the older she gets the closer we become. This is because she can have intelligent conversations and we can form bonds beyond just the young child and mother bond. I have been known to fly off the handle a bit too easily and she forgives me instantly....in fact I have told her that I could learn a thing or two about forgiveness from her, the child!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting