Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-19-2009, 01:13 PM

2,536 posts, read 9,929,427 times

Advertisements

I know that others have said this already, but I'd like to reiterate that is seems that this is a case of your daughter being manipulated by the older girl, rather than a reflection of her sexuality. I would try to focus your concerns on the former rather than the latter. Overall, good luck...best of wishes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-19-2009, 02:37 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,476,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I know that others have said this already, but I'd like to reiterate that is seems that this is a case of your daughter being manipulated by the older girl, rather than a reflection of her sexuality.
There is absolutely no way of knowing this.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:06 PM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
I think the change in personality, the sullen manner, the knives show there was something very bad in that relationship. Kids being abused will become depressed.

Old 09-19-2009, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Of course, there's no way to 100% absolutely know, but considering what the OP described was happening, and the fact that her daughter is TWELVE, I would think that it's more just an abusive situation overall rather than the girl absolutely thinking she's a lesbian and doing it due to that (not that there's anything wrong with her being that).

Old 09-19-2009, 04:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
I think the change in personality, the sullen manner, the knives show there was something very bad in that relationship. Kids being abused will become depressed.
Gay and lesbian kids who've absorbed too much of a homophobic culture will also become depressed.

I think the OP ought to talk to a counselor from PFLAG or someone who specializes in gay and lesbian youth.

I admit, the knives thing freaks me out, but having a slightly older girlfriend in and of itself does not.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:10 PM

259 posts, read 732,256 times
do you know of any adult lesbians that can be your daughter's "big sister"?

at that young age, it seems like she was attracted to who was giving her attention. sadly, the person who was giving her attention wasn't very healthy. try to provide her with a healthy person to give her the attention and hopefully she will gravitate towards that. (i was suggesting a lesbian so that not only would your daughter not think you were anti-lesbian, but also so she would feel understood)

good luck. growing up is so hard sometimes.

Old 09-19-2009, 04:17 PM

good thought about the older mentor irie, that's another reason PFLAG would be a good resource.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:21 PM

1,507 posts, read 3,132,827 times
she needs counseling both by herself and with the whole family unit-----experimenting with the same sex at 12 does NOT make one a lesbian----she still needs to mature to finalize her sexual orientation----btw--12 yr olds CAN be the victim of sexual/emotional abuse by a 14 yr old---this happens more often than adults realize-----especially among severly emotionally disturbed adolescents--(YRS.OF EXPERIENCE WORKING IN THE FIELD)

Old 09-19-2009, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Gay and lesbian kids who've absorbed too much of a homophobic culture will also become depressed.

I think the OP ought to talk to a counselor from PFLAG or someone who specializes in gay and lesbian youth.

I admit, the knives thing freaks me out, but having a slightly older girlfriend in and of itself does not.
I just wanted to say to you, djacques, that if the reason you questioned my assumption on the OP's kid not being gay because it seemed like I was trying to say that it was bad for her to be gay, it wasn't that at all--and I understand if you were trying to defend that for the sake of LGBT causes.

I just wanted to make sure I was 100% clear.

Old 09-19-2009, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thepinksquid View Post
I just wanted to say to you, djacques, that if the reason you questioned my assumption on the OP's kid not being gay because it seemed like I was trying to say that it was bad for her to be gay, it wasn't that at all--and I understand if you were trying to defend that for the sake of LGBT causes.

I just wanted to make sure I was 100% clear.
You were clear, I wasn't suggesting you were homophobic, just that reaction to a homophobic culture could be a more salient cause of depression than the relationship being abusive. Maybe it is abusive, but without further details it's dangerous to assume that it is. Abuse can damage lives, and so can labelling things abuse that actually aren't. See this site for many examples.

Ethical Treatment for All Youth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting