Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2009, 03:51 PM

3,855 posts, read 13,225,270 times

Advertisements

My 5 yr old daughter started Kindergarten this year. Up until now we have seen her as a very bright girl....she's very socially mature for her age. In pre-school this past year we noticed she was having some issues recognizing letters. She got to where she could write her name easily enough and she knows those letters when she sees them. But it seems like if it's anything but that and AB&C she is at a complete loss. I have sat down with her and worked with her till I was about ready to crack.

It goes something like this:

Me: "What Letter is this <I draw a 'D'>?"

Her: "Ummmmmm.....I don't know. < >"

Me: "OK....It's a 'D'."

Her: "Oh! It's a 'D'! < >"

....Then I have her write the letter about 10 times and say the letter she's writing while she's writing it...

Me: "OK...Can you think of any words that may start with a 'D'? It makes a 'Da Da Da' sound."

Her: "Uhhhh....uhhh........no. < >"

Me: "How about Dog? Dad? Dip? Darn (as in 'darned I wish you were better at this')?"

Her: "Oh! Ok! Dog! Dad! < >"

Me: "Yeah That's it! < > Now draw a dog and some D's on the same page and say 'D' while you write it."

....so now that we've focused on the 'D' for a while and we've done excersizes and examples etc etc etc....I decide to move on to a couple more letters....with about the same amount of success (being not much at all). THEN i come right back to "D" ....the letter we must have spent 20 minute on in total......AND SHE DOESN'T RECOGNIZE IT, FOLKS!!!

It's not like this is a fluke thing that she doesn't recognize the letter. We work with her all the time and every time it goes just like the above. We've even tried mixing things up and trying something different to see if it helps...like maybe she just learns in a different syle. She doesn't recognize the letters 10 minutes after we just went over it. I'm concerned that she may have a learning disability of some kind....i just don't know what it would be though. With regard to nearly everything else she's just a super kid.

Any suggestions? I'm all ears....or eyes....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2009, 05:56 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,868,733 times
I don't know what it could be but a fun video is the Leap Frog Letter Factory; my kids like watching the Leap Frog videos and I know lots of people who swore by them with their preschoolers learning letters and phonics. It might be a relaxing way for her to learn. If she is tense or stressed when working with you, it could be affecting her learning.

What does her teacher think?

There might be a different way she should be learning based on the problems she is having and the teacher might be able to help.

My daughter mirror wrote in 1st grade so I designed writing paper for her to guide her to start at the correct margin. It did not take very long but had I not given her that tool, it might have taken a lot longer to correct the mirror writing. There might be something you can do to help yours with her letter learning that is not normally done but can help her a lot.

Old 09-18-2009, 06:06 PM

6,578 posts, read 25,374,853 times
I would get her a dyslexia evaluation.

Old 09-18-2009, 07:22 PM

1,036 posts, read 3,056,061 times
Both my girls did this for about 6 months...seems like the older one did it longer than the younger. But they grew out of it.

Good Luck.

Old 09-18-2009, 08:51 PM

1,429 posts, read 4,264,559 times
Is she a young 5 years old? She just doesn't seem ready for written language recognition. This is what kindergarden teachers are trained for. They immerse the child in language (notice all the labels on everything?) and teach recognition. Instead of doing letters, why not label things in your home? sink chair door table and so on. use upper and lowercase letters. stick to black print because that is the standard for print.

Set up a whiteboard. Put a letter on it. Tell her when she figues out which letter it is she can have a hershey or momma kiss. (leave it up even after she announces what it is and give more kisses with each mention,,, not necessarily every two minutes though) After she learns the letters, tell her when she says a word with the letter she gets a kiss.... change the letter every few days, without telling her.... see if she notices. Make it a game. At her age, just sitting looking at a letter and looking to momma's face for the "right" answer aren't going to do much more than frustrate the both of you.

Old 09-18-2009, 09:02 PM

264 posts, read 816,976 times
my five year old twin boys were/are the exact same way...we would go over something ad nauseum and then 10 min. later it was like it was brand new to them again..very frustrating...but, something has seemed to click recently and it has gotten much better...we do have the aforementioned leap frog letter factory dvd for in the car and also we used preschool prep's meet the letters dvd (it is geared toward younger kids but it is very repetitive and I think that has helped alot). It seems to me that it took a lot longer than it should have of them watching those dvds and us going over the letters at home and them getting exposure to them in preschool for things to sink in, so I am also concerned about a learning disability with them. As I said, I have seen improvement recently but I am trying to prepare myself for them not being the head of the class, so to speak, even though they both seem bright outside of "book learning".

Old 09-18-2009, 10:27 PM

2,868 posts, read 9,524,454 times
A DVD called The Letter Factory. Your local library might even have it..

Why don't you do one letter a day? All Day?

I know at the Kindergarten my dd goes too...if a student is slacking in one area (ie letter recognition) They will pull them off for 20 mins everyday just to get them where they need to be. Have you talked to her teacher?

Old 09-19-2009, 03:14 PM

16,889 posts, read 16,154,381 times
Another vote for The Letter Factory. I played it a few times for my kids and couldn't believe what a difference it made.

Old 09-19-2009, 06:36 PM

3,574 posts, read 14,303,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post
My 5 yr old daughter started Kindergarten this year. Up until now we have seen her as a very bright girl....she's very socially mature for her age. In pre-school this past year we noticed she was having some issues recognizing letters. She got to where she could write her name easily enough and she knows those letters when she sees them. But it seems like if it's anything but that and AB&C she is at a complete loss. I have sat down with her and worked with her till I was about ready to crack.

....Then I have her write the letter about 10 times and say the letter she's writing while she's writing it...

Me: "OK...Can you think of any words that may start with a 'D'? It makes a 'Da Da Da' sound."

Me: "How about Dog? Dad? Dip? Darn (as in 'darned I wish you were better at this')?"

Me: "Yeah That's it! < > Now draw a dog and some D's on the same page and say 'D' while you write it."

....so now that we've focused on the 'D' for a while and we've done excersizes and examples etc etc etc....I decide to move on to a couple more letters....with about the same amount of success (being not much at all). THEN i come right back to "D" ....the letter we must have spent 20 minute on in total......AND SHE DOESN'T RECOGNIZE IT, FOLKS!!!
It's not like this is a fluke thing that she doesn't recognize the letter. We work with her all the time and every time it goes just like the above. We've even tried mixing things up and trying something different to see if it helps...like maybe she just learns in a different syle. She doesn't recognize the letters 10 minutes after we just went over it. I'm concerned that she may have a learning disability of some kind....i just don't know what it would be though. With regard to nearly everything else she's just a super kid.

Her sight is fine - sees close up without trouble? Have you talked to her teacher and is s/he concerned? Maybe you're making her nervous: "..."We work with her all the time and every time it goes just like the above... " My suggestion is talk to her teacher and unless the teacher tells you it's a problem, don't make it into one.

Old 09-19-2009, 07:03 PM

11,642 posts, read 23,803,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drjones96 View Post

Maybe it's to much work and not enough play. Play letter games. Get letter toys. My kids used to have all sorts of fun letter toys and learned the letters from playing with the toys. She also may be a slow learner.

The other thing you need to recognize is that slow learners are not bad kids. As a high school teacher I can tell you that some of my slower kids are my favorite kids. They are just SUPER KIDS. Being a slower learner (not all slow learners are learning disabled) does not make them bad kids. Please accept your daughter as she is.

OK-lecture over. I would try playing letter games with her as opposed to "working" with her. She is a little girl and little kids learn more through play than structured lessons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting