Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 06:57 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,239,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by djacques View Post
Almost any parent will look for the most secluded spot that's reasonable to change a diaper, but sometimes there simply isn't one. If the kid is young enough to be in diapers and you're still offended by seeing their bare butt, then yes, I think you need to check the calibration of your sensitivities.

Then I am assuming this parent was not just any parent since there were plenty of other areas to change this childs diaper but she chose to do it where the first thing people saw when turning the corner was this childs naked butt and legs. Like I said if she would have just laid him down on a blanket and had Dad stand in front of where other people could see that would have been okay. I am saying this child was 2 or 3 but he was a big kid closer to the size of a 4 yr old I was just assuming younger because he was still in a diaper or pull-ups and his Mom thought it was okay to strip him down in front of others and clean him up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 06:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skahar View Post
Was it #2 OP? At first I assumed #1 but if it was #2 then yes that would be unacceptable at least IMO. That's gross at any age even newborns. Guess I should have asked before I said no big deal.
yes it was #2 and I should have been clearer

Old 09-21-2009, 07:07 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,424,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
Then I am assuming this parent was not just any parent since there were plenty of other areas to change this childs diaper but she chose to do it where the first thing people saw when turning the corner was this childs naked butt and legs. Like I said if she would have just laid him down on a blanket and had Dad stand in front of where other people could see that would have been okay. I am saying this child was 2 or 3 but he was a big kid closer to the size of a 4 yr old I was just assuming younger because he was still in a diaper or pull-ups and his Mom thought it was okay to strip him down in front of others and clean him up.
I suppose it could be considered bad manners if there were other reasonable and sanitary options for doing the change, but if you're as bothered by it as you sound, the issue is more with you than with them. I don't particularly like seeing people pick their noses, but it would be a pretty frivolous thing to get in a tizzy about.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:18 PM

3,672 posts, read 10,564,360 times
Quote:
If the kid is young enough to be in diapers and you're still offended by seeing their bare butt, then yes, I think you need to check the calibration of your sensitivities.
I am personally aware of a child still in diapers while attending second grade. I thought he was much too old for them, but his parents did not seem to mind. He was not toilet trained until the school expelled him pending training.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:25 PM

4,469 posts, read 7,167,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
I agree. Many, many people lack manners these days. If only more people would think about others around them...
That's kind of a radical thought, isn't it? After all, doesn't the world revolve around other people's precious offspring?

Old 09-21-2009, 07:26 PM

12,711 posts, read 13,424,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aconite View Post
That's kind of a radical thought, isn't it? After all, doesn't the world revolve around other people's precious offspring?
No, but neither does it revolve around your desire to never see someone's kid's rear end.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Almost any parent will look for the most secluded spot that's reasonable to change a diaper, but sometimes there simply isn't one. If the kid is young enough to be in diapers and you're still offended by seeing their bare butt, then yes, I think you need to check the calibration of your sensitivities.
Young enough to be in diapers is pretty subjective. There are an astonishing number of four year olds still roaming around in pull-ups...which, face it, are still diapers. Just expensive ones, without tabs.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:29 PM

Quote:
No, but neither does it revolve around your desire to never see someone's kid's rear end.
One would hope it would revolve around some semblance of propriety. Of course, one would usually be wrong, judging by the responses here and in the breastfeeding thread. There is no end, apparently, to the number of yahoos who manage to breed.

Old 09-21-2009, 07:30 PM

Quote:
I suppose it could be considered bad manners if there were other reasonable and sanitary options for doing the change, but if you're as bothered by it as you sound, the issue is more with you than with them. I don't particularly like seeing people pick their noses, but it would be a pretty frivolous thing to get in a tizzy about.
You may be right in that the issue is more with me than them. I just find it unacceptable that people can't be more cognizant of their surroundings and more sensitive to others. Since when did it become acceptable to do what we want, where we want and when we want and who cares if it is offensive to others? This isn't a third world country and I can tell you for a fact there were other options available to these parents.

Last edited by ajzjmsmom; 09-21-2009 at 07:52 PM..

Old 09-21-2009, 07:39 PM

106 posts, read 381,347 times
If for some reason, the bathroom wasn't a viable option (dirty, not wanting the boy in the ladies room, etc), then I personally wouldn't be offended by the kid being changed in public...he's just a baby. But if I were that parent, that'd be a LAST resort...too many pervs out there these days.

As for the 8-YO at the store....that's just plain cruel. There's no excuse for putting him through that kind of humiliation. My 7-YO would be absolutely mortified by that....and he'd have a right to be. Sometimes, I think parents forget that their "little Billy" isn't a toddler anymore....he has developed some grown-up dignity!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting