Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2009, 02:19 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times

Advertisements

You need to address the security issue both inside & outside the home. And as some others have mentioned, having a 2nd adult will probably be a must.

I would no way feel comfortable leaving my child with 5 other children and 1 adult. My 4yr old's Sunday school is set up that way and we are just not comfortable with it at this time. I don't want him to live in a protective bubble, but at the same time, toddlers are toddlers and in a few seconds they can be down the street, hiding in a closet or up in a tree.

Another thing: a dedicated bathroom for the children. This may be a requirement to get licensed as in-home daycare,though.

Have you considered starting up as a daycare and over time transition over to preschool? The reason I suggest this is client base and word of mouth. Plus, it gives you a great idea of where your strengths and weaknesses are when running such a thing from a home-based environment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2009, 02:37 PM

282 posts, read 526,139 times
No I am sure I do not want a day care..I am going to school to be a preschool teacher, I have been changing my own kids diapers for the past 6 years and I am down to my last child, woo hooo! Don't want to be changing anymore...

Old 09-21-2009, 02:45 PM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,267 times
We started our kids in Montessori at 3. It's not pre-school, it is school, but it is school oriented to how a 3-year-old learns, and leverages their natural attention span (instead of fighting it).

I would certainly consider and in-home preschool that embraces the Montessori method of teaching, but to that end, a few more than 6 kids would be better, and of varying ages up to 6 would be good.

Old 09-21-2009, 02:49 PM

4,267 posts, read 6,182,157 times
I'd be interested in an in-home pre-school mainly due to the small classroom size and the ability for my child to remain in a homey environment rather then be in an actual classroom. I would prefer a play based pre-school. I see pre-school as an opportunity for my child to learn through socializing with other kids and doing group activities with an adult other then myself. The academic part isn't important to me at all.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:28 PM

3,842 posts, read 10,510,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
No I am sure I do not want a day care..I am going to school to be a preschool teacher, I have been changing my own kids diapers for the past 6 years and I am down to my last child, woo hooo! Don't want to be changing anymore...
Are you going to require all the kids to be potty trained, then?

Another avenue to look at is homeschooling and their resources, which are abundant, since you are doing home-based.

And talk to a lawyer.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:34 PM

I will require that the children be potty trained, hopefully moms won't try and trick me..accidents happen I know but if it gets to be an everyday thing well then I am thinking the child probably isn't potty trained...lol

Old 09-21-2009, 03:48 PM

"It will not be a daycare but a 3hr a day preschool with no more than 6 children. We will be doing everything a child would do in an actual "school" BUT it will be in my home instead"...

This is from my original post...I think some people misunderstood....school= preschool

Lawyer?? Really...I can see why though, good idea!

Old 09-21-2009, 03:55 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,731,484 times
I think some of the confusion may be that preschools aren't all the same, and some daycares offer the same sorts of activities that some preschools do, but are extended to the full day and not just the three hours.

Old 09-21-2009, 03:58 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 121804 View Post
I remember telling the owner of Goddard that I was concerned about daycares saying they were preschools when they were, indeed, daycare....she didn't like that question; I didn't like her response ("At 3yrs old, there is only so much they are willing to learn, so, a lot of the time is like daycare).
I don't trust daycare centers to be good pre-schools either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
You can still make it a preschool age full time day care/pre-school. I wouldn't use it because I am a SAHM but working moms may prefer it to a big daycare center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
I would certainly consider and in-home preschool that embraces the Montessori method of teaching, but to that end, a few more than 6 kids would be better, and of varying ages up to 6 would be good.
I agree. Most Montessori centers cost and arm and a leg so if you can go Montessori at the same price that a regular pre-school you may be successful.

For my dd I prefer the classroom looking pre-school because she is very shy and needs the exposure prior to kindergarten. For my ds I'll probably need a lower student teacher ratio because he is a handful. But who knows maybe he'll be an angel in schol.

Old 09-21-2009, 04:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scarmig View Post
We started our kids in Montessori at 3. It's not pre-school, it is school, but it is school oriented to how a 3-year-old learns, and leverages their natural attention span (instead of fighting it).

I have learned a little about Montessori schools..I am going to be observing a class soon! However.. I am not trained in teaching that approach so I wouldn't feel comfortable teaching it. I am excited to observe in a class though it seems pretty interesting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting