Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2010, 06:32 AM

9,803 posts, read 16,181,020 times

Advertisements

99% of the people don't know and don't care what someone's name means in a different language.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2010, 06:34 AM

3,430 posts, read 4,333,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmac View Post
99% of the people don't know and don't care what someone's name means in a different language.

Alrighty then

Old 07-29-2010, 12:18 AM

39,031 posts, read 23,011,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisalan View Post
I actually love the name Bella. Did you know it means beautiful in Italian?
No ... I didn't know that and it's likely that many Americans would be aware of this. I have no issues with names such as Bella because most folks would not associate that name with it's meaning. Now to actually name a child Beauty or Beautiful is setting them up for ridicule. Think about this person introducing herself to strangers or even prospective employers ... Do you think that she would be taken seriously when she introduces herself as "I'm Beautiful" or would folks just flat out assume that she is being conceited?

Old 07-29-2010, 10:27 AM

4,471 posts, read 9,831,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chatteress View Post
No ... I didn't know that and it's likely that many Americans would be aware of this. I have no issues with names such as Bella because most folks would not associate that name with it's meaning. Now to actually name a child Beauty or Beautiful is setting them up for ridicule. Think about this person introducing herself to strangers or even prospective employers ... Do you think that she would be taken seriously when she introduces herself as "I'm Beautiful" or would folks just flat out assume that she is being conceited?
I agree. I think "It means xxx in xxx language" is just as dumb as naming your child that in English. What if they go to that country and that introduce themselves to people?

Although if their name is an actual name that happens to mean something in another language thats fine. I have found "Hope" as a name is in almost every language in spanish you will find girls named "Esperanza" and my Hindi friend's name is "Aashini"

Old 07-29-2010, 11:23 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,913,927 times
Quote:
I'm pretty sure that most American parents who name their child Bella/Isabella aren't aware of the Italian meaning. They just name her that because of the Twilight movies or just because it's a really common name and it's "trendy."

Old 07-29-2010, 11:28 AM

1,481 posts, read 3,945,240 times
boy, guess the name my g/daughter has would upset several of you .. .. say it see how you think it sounds .. I say it sounds like "LOVE" from the moms heart to her daughter ..
Precious Treasure..
btw she is the first girl so .. yanno maybe that had some to do with it .. who knows but its food for thought this name stuff .. interesting topic folks.

Old 08-03-2010, 12:55 PM

817 posts, read 2,249,945 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohKnip View Post
Where do you draw the line on what the government is allowed to call stupid? Is it just personal opinion of the judge? Say the judge doesn't like William because it sounds stupid to him, charge the mother with child abuse? Thats a pretty slippery slope, that could easily lead to abuse of the law.

Also I don't even see how you can call that abuse What Is Child Abuse and Neglect?
I don't know...I believe there are European countries that have laws against stupid names.

I'd rather have a few cases of abuse of this law than legions of Marijuana Pepsis and ******* Tampons running around.

Old 08-03-2010, 01:44 PM

5,821 posts, read 5,301,422 times
I have a nephew who is a Emergency room doc.
People have babies and haven't thought of a
name so they pick one from what they see in
the waiting room. My favorite is Kleenex.

Old 08-04-2010, 06:45 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,673,021 times
Quote:
Sorry, but the first thing that comes to mind is Bella Abzug.

http://www.2neatmagazines.com/covers...1972-Jun-9.jpg

She certainly was a lively and interesting person, but it's hard to picture her as a pretty little baby.

Old 08-04-2010, 07:01 AM

9,229 posts, read 8,542,513 times
Name conventions change each generation, just as our language changes. The world evolves -- go with it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting