Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-23-2009, 07:56 AM

1,636 posts, read 4,228,920 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I completely understand when people feel uncomfortable posting their children's names on public forum, but then why reply to the thread at all? Hearing the back stories without actually finding out what names are, is quite unsatisfying to the reader. It's like: who cares if he was named after somebody if we don't know what the name is.

It's like: what is your favorite restaurant in New York?
Oh...it's a restaurant that has great service and good staff and serves best steaks in town...
Okay, but what is that restaurant????

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I think it's kind of pointless.

Exactly!

No one wants you to put your kid's name on here if you don't feel comfortable. It would be like a dictionary having the definitions without the actual word in front of it

Old 09-23-2009, 08:27 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,903,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post

My 4th (a girl) we named her after one of our favorite characters off of WKRP in Cincinnati. Again a name that can be used for both boy or girl.
Venus Flytrap? Dr. Johnny Fever? JK sorry couldn't resist.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:11 AM

2,467 posts, read 4,860,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisdol View Post
Venus Flytrap? Dr. Johnny Fever? JK sorry couldn't resist.
LOL!! Venus might have worked, but it comes off as a little vain IMO. Think of what the names were for the two main female characters on the show.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:16 AM

2,884 posts, read 5,931,696 times
Mountain Ash Majestic and Raven-Haired Victory

Some translation required.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:23 AM

4,253 posts, read 9,452,635 times
Woman Conqueror and Lover of Earth.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:36 AM

Here are some clues for my kids' names.

1.) I really loved the show that took place in Mel's diner.

2.) Tippy Canoe

3.) An actress from the 80's television night time drama Flamingo Road.

4.) Female character from WKRP

5.) Actress who was in the movie Untamed Heart

Please do not post the names if you figure them out from the clues.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:11 AM

282 posts, read 526,194 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
I completely understand when people feel uncomfortable posting their children's names on public forum, but then why reply to the thread at all? Hearing the back stories without actually finding out what names are, is quite unsatisfying to the reader. It's like: who cares if he was named after somebody if we don't know what the name is.

It's like: what is your favorite restaurant in New York?
Oh...it's a restaurant that has great service and good staff and serves best steaks in town...
Okay, but what is that restaurant????

I don't know, maybe it's just me, but I think it's kind of pointless.

YAAAAA! WHAT SHE SAID

Old 09-23-2009, 10:27 AM

282 posts, read 526,194 times
P.S. since this thread has turned into a guessing game instead, should we post it under games and trivia? Even funnier though....I will give you clues to guess my childs name but when you come up with the answer you CAN'T post it...lolol...

Old 09-23-2009, 10:29 AM

758 posts, read 1,872,076 times
My kids are pretty traditional.

1: Elizabeth Anne after my grandmother.

2: Jacob Matthew after DH.

3: Calvin Victor we just liked it.

4: Matthew Hayden I've always liked the name Matthew so we used as #4's first name, DH wanted Hayden so we used that as the middle.

Old 09-23-2009, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
P.S. since this thread has turned into a guessing game instead, should we post it under games and trivia? Even funnier though....I will give you clues to guess my childs name but when you come up with the answer you CAN'T post it...lolol...
I don't even know why you would start a thread asking for people to give out their children's names and any back story behind them. Then you get upset and snotty when folks are not willing to actually give you or anyone else their children's names on a public forum, but instead they are willing to give clues that can help you figure them out. Granted you have no real certainty of a child's name, but it's for safety reasons that absolute certainty be left out just in case some wacko is reading.

It's called use your imagination.

I think most of us are proud of the names we gave our children or we wouldn't have given them the names we did. I also think that a lot of us would love to share our names with others because we are proud of the names we chose, but a lot of us are also trying to be protective of our children. It wouldn't matter if I put down a last name or not, if I gave out their first names, that alone would help some weirdo track us down in the area we live.

So maybe I shouldn't have responded to this thread because I'm not willing to type out my kids' names on a public forum. But just because I won't give out their names doesn't mean that I still can't share how we came to giving them the names we did. Maybe that might have been a better topic then actually coming out and asking people to give out their children's names.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting