Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-22-2009, 05:06 PM

282 posts, read 526,234 times

Advertisements

Ok I saw the thread about why people in the U.S. give their children "unconventional names" Sooooo U.S. people what are the names of YOUR children..is their a story behind your childs name? Does it have a special meaning or did you just like it??

I will start...my 1st son~~Blaze...his name was going to be Garret.I had named him that as soon as I found out he was a boy...when I was pregnant my husband had mentioned the name Blaze and I loved it, but I already had the named Garret picked out. When "Garret was born" he had swallowed amniotic fluid and had to stay in the hospital for 3 days. The 2nd day he was born one of the nurses said..wow all that red hair and a temper to go with it...and in that moment BLAZE popped into my head and Garret just didn't seem to fit, so I changed his name to Blaze on his Birth Cert.(i HAD ALREADY SIGNED IT AS gARRET) and that was that!

2ND SON~~Kian...an Irish name...popular in Ireland

3rd son~~Hyatt~~a friend of mine had mentioned the name and I just loved it!! After having my 1st son named Blaze, the rest of my kids had to have different names too

Old 09-22-2009, 05:11 PM

106 posts, read 383,381 times
Kiddo #1 - Jacob (AKA "Jake":-)

Kiddo #2 - Austin

I came along after them:-)...but, I think my wife and her late husband just liked the names. Nothing you won't find in the "Baby Names" book:-)

Last edited by jbar; 09-22-2009 at 05:36 PM..

Old 09-22-2009, 05:20 PM

3,422 posts, read 10,904,348 times
My first three kids were named directly after the first names of close relatives (father, great-great-grandmother, great-great-grandfather). My fourth was named (first name) a traditional name that has been used as a middle name in our family and his middle name is the first name of his great-grandfather and also his great-uncle).

Our family heritage is mostly western European (a long long time ago), with a little Italian sprinkled in, and the names pretty much reflect that. They are what Americans would consider "traditional and boring" names.

Old 09-22-2009, 05:34 PM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
My son is named after a 'great' Greek King (but we are not Greek). We both liked the name, and hated most other boys names.

We REFUSED to name our son after anyone, though he shares the same middle name with my husband and my husband's dad.

Funny thing about it, we just found out recently that my father in law's grandfather in England was also named this name!

So, yeah, it was a bit spooky.

Old 09-22-2009, 06:41 PM

3 posts, read 7,924 times
Hyatt
isn't it arabic name?
it is familiar in our country KSA
we write it حياة

Old 09-22-2009, 07:24 PM

2,905 posts, read 7,349,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bozrok View Post
Hyatt
isn't it arabic name?
it is familiar in our country KSA
we write it حياة
Is that name Hayat? (Like the newspaper--Lebanese or Egyptian or something?)

I read the name as Hyatt, like Wyatt Earp the cowboy, and like the hotel chain the Hyatt.

Anyway, to answer the OP, I am not crazy about the idea of naming my children on a forum, there are a lot of crazies out there and there is some information I don't divulge.

But they are unique names, not the run of the mill, top-ten-the-year-they-were-born kind of names.

Old 09-22-2009, 07:52 PM

2,467 posts, read 4,861,011 times
My oldest (a girl) is given the Spanish variation of an old family name on my side. We spelled it a bit differently so that folks in the US would pronounce it correctly. We replaced an "i" with an "e" because we wanted the long "e" pronounced rather than a short "i". Spanish pronounce "I" as long "E"

My 2nd (a boy) was given his great grandmother's maiden name, which is also a name commonly used for boy's first names.

My 3rd (a girl) we gave her a name that is unisexed. It is a strong name that can also be feminine, it is also Irish which is part of my heritage. A well known blonde actress from the 80's has this name.

My 4th (a girl) we named her after one of our favorite characters off of WKRP in Cincinnati. Again a name that can be used for both boy or girl.

My 5th (another girl and my last) We really didn't have a name picked out for a girl because I was sure she was going to be a boy and we were going to call him Eli, after my husband's side of the family. The name we ended up calling her was a name that kinda jumped out at my husband as we skimmed through the female names of a baby book.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:11 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2redheads View Post
Ok I saw the thread about why people in the U.S. give their children "unconventional names" Sooooo U.S. people what are the names of YOUR children..is their a story behind your childs name? Does it have a special meaning or did you just like it??

I will start...my 1st son~~Blaze...his name was going to be Garret.I had named him that as soon as I found out he was a boy...when I was pregnant my husband had mentioned the name Blaze and I loved it, but I already had the named Garret picked out. When "Garret was born" he had swallowed amniotic fluid and had to stay in the hospital for 3 days. The 2nd day he was born one of the nurses said..wow all that red hair and a temper to go with it...and in that moment BLAZE popped into my head and Garret just didn't seem to fit, so I changed his name to Blaze on his Birth Cert.(i HAD ALREADY SIGNED IT AS gARRET) and that was that!

2ND SON~~Kian...an Irish name...popular in Ireland

3rd son~~Hyatt~~a friend of mine had mentioned the name and I just loved it!! After having my 1st son named Blaze, the rest of my kids had to have different names too
Such interesting names! Can you guess my son's name?

Actually, his first and middle names are Maxwell Paul. We always liked the name Maxwell and thought of it even before we were engaged. Paul is after my mom Polina and DH's mom Paula. They are both deceased.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:12 PM

9,444 posts, read 17,383,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyoquilter View Post
My oldest (a girl) is given the Spanish variation of an old family name on my side. We spelled it a bit differently so that folks in the US would pronounce it correctly. We replaced an "i" with an "e" because we wanted the long "e" pronounced rather than a short "i". Spanish pronounce "I" as long "E"

My 2nd (a boy) was given his great grandmother's maiden name, which is also a name commonly used for boy's first names.

My 3rd (a girl) we gave her a name that is unisexed. It is a strong name that can also be feminine, it is also Irish which is part of my heritage. A well known blonde actress from the 80's has this name.

My 4th (a girl) we named her after one of our favorite characters off of WKRP in Cincinnati. Again a name that can be used for both boy or girl.

My 5th (another girl and my last) We really didn't have a name picked out for a girl because I was sure she was going to be a boy and we were going to call him Eli, after my husband's side of the family. The name we ended up calling her was a name that kinda jumped out at my husband as we skimmed through the female names of a baby book.
Should we start guessing now or later? Quite honestly, all the stories are interesting and all, but it's pretty much useless if we don't know what the actual names are.

Old 09-22-2009, 08:31 PM

1,636 posts, read 4,229,188 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max's mama View Post
Should we start guessing now or later? Quite honestly, all the stories are interesting and all, but it's pretty much useless if we don't know what the actual names are.

That's what I was thinking.

Kind of defeats the purpose of the thread. .

Sooo, what are the names of your kids?

Mine is Mia, hence my screen name

I liked Maria and Maggie and Mary. Hubby said Maria was too ethnic and Mary was too religious and so he worked off of Maria to make Mia. If our next is a girl, it's Maggie. I'm a huge Rod Stewart fan!

If we have a boy I liked Jared or Anthony. But after a bit of "talking" my hubby convinced me that Sullivan was the perfect boys name. He's a huge football fan and thinks his little man would be well respected with that name on his uniform. Guys would call him "Sullaaaaayy"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting