Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2009, 10:28 AM

20,793 posts, read 61,303,679 times

Advertisements

It seems like a lot of homework but I agree with others that have said how much class time did he waste in school too?

Last year our kids' friends kept complaining about the hours of homework they had each night. Our kids had MAYBE 30 minutes and up to an hour if they had a big project. We started getting worried that our kids were slacking off-but they had all A's so we didn't know what was up. We asked their teachers at conferences and they basically said that the kids with all that homework were not using their class time wisely and out kids did.

Third grade was a big transition year for homework and our kids did have more homework in 3rd grade than they did in 2nd grade. 5th and 8th grade were other big homework years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2009, 05:46 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,288 times
I found out a little more info tonight at a literacy event since homework was a hot topic. This is the first year that 3rd grade has switched classes, which I knew, and according to the librarian the teachers are struggling to fit everything into the day and what doesn't fit is going home with the students. It's so hectic that none of the 3rd graders have taken a single AR (accelerated reader) test and this is the 8th week of school. I am willing to give the teachers a little more time to adjust, but I do think it's unfortunate that the kids are suffering as well. It took me 30 minutes last night just to check his homework.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:01 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,316,253 times
And everyone wonders why we homeschool. Our get double that for the entire day and they are done by lunch time. It is poor classroom management and poorly taught because if the kids could grasp it faster, they'd have more time to get the work done so they wouldn't have to bring it home.

Old 09-29-2009, 07:38 PM

16,062 posts, read 26,743,916 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooksterL1 View Post
This was my first question and it is actual homework. My son attended the same preschool as many of his classmates and this school since 1st grade so over the years we have exchanged #'s with most of the other parents. Last year homework was an issue and we were promised by the principal that this year would be better because the schools have added 30 minutes to the day.

mom2redheads, I feel the same way. The bulk of his homework is Social Studies and Reading that they never get to in class. He wasn't taught how to use his book or how to read the legend on a map, it was just sent home with him. I manage a tutoring business and our peak hours are after school so I work until 7 a few times a week, which means that the bulk of the homework falls on my mom or my aunt. If he waited for me to get home and finish dinner for everyone then he would be up until midnight or 1 am. We have a large homeschool support network here and frankly I feel like if someone is going to spend 3 or 4 hours teaching him at home then what is the point of a very long school day. KWIM? However, it's not really a route that I want to go and our private schools are all affiliated with churches and hire within their congregation (teachers with no degrees).
Wow, that is insane. My son is in 4th and came home with almost that amount the first week of school. The teacher had so many complaints it hasn't been the same since.

Old 09-29-2009, 10:05 PM

3,885 posts, read 8,122,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flik_becky View Post
And everyone wonders why we homeschool. Our get double that for the entire day and they are done by lunch time. It is poor classroom management and poorly taught because if the kids could grasp it faster, they'd have more time to get the work done so they wouldn't have to bring it home.
I will know more after the meeting on Weds, but I'm leaning towards poor classroom management as well.

Do you mind if I ask what curriculum you are using for homeschooling? I've been in contact with our homeschool network and so far I'm liking Saxon for math and A Beka for the other subjects.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting