Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 04:38 AM

13,396 posts, read 44,898,641 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn4261 View Post
I live in Florida. On the East coast, they were going to switch around the high school and Elementary schools start and dismissal times. They also thought that the High schoolers would do better if they got more sleep, since the little ones went to bed earlier and woke earlier. The parents fought this "experiment" and won. If a teenager goes to school later and comes home later than their younger sibling, then who would be there for the little ones when they got home from school? A household with two working parents, depend on the older kids to be there in the afternoon when the little ones get home. Which is anywhere between 3 and 4 o'clock here. Elementary schools start here anywhere from 9-9:30. Perfect for a parent to get teenagers and little ones off to school, then make it to their 9-5 jobs. And what about the parent(s) who work second shift and have to be at work later in the afternoon around 2 or 3? There would be alot of families who would have to find and pay for after school care if their little ones could not be looked after by their older siblings. It makes sense for the kids to come home earliest depending on their age. Besides when these kids are out of High School, most of them wont be able to sleep in all morning. They need to get prepared for Showing up on time to college, work, even job interviews. The world is not going to wait for them to roll out of bed or get up off their lazy butts. The early bird gets the worm, so they better get used to it now. It's just the reality of adulthood.
I live in Florida, too, and before that, Colorado.
Many of the high school kids I knew/know already have part-time jobs of their own after school. Somehow the "little ones" manage. As far as I'm concerned, childcare needs to be managed by the adults. If they can work out a safe, acceptable situation with older sibs, fine--but to me, the daily "reality of adulthood" is being responsible for your own kid rather than saddling a 14 year old with it.
Who is talking about sleeping "all morning"? There is room for compromise.
I don't think teens are nearly as lazy as everyone seems to want to paint them.
Y'all who don't yet have teenagers and have it all figured out--get back to me when your kids are in their 20's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-06-2007, 06:47 PM

7,395 posts, read 13,043,489 times
There are definately problems with a later start time all the way around. What happens with bus schedules for instance, and sports practices/games, after school clubs/activities? I get it completely....what about the kids with after school jobs? I don't have answers to those questions, but the more I have read over the last couple of years regarding teens and sleep patterns, the more I think we should work to fix this. It's like expecting a 4 month old to walk....or a 2 year old to read....some things really are just developmentally appropriate, and I think this is one of them.

Old 07-16-2007, 09:57 AM

1 posts, read 4,761 times
Thumbs down hi

school need to start later..im falling alseep right now...DRUGS!!!! i really dont like holy rollers. im an anarchist baby, and of course an athiest. but yeah, seriouslly, you should change your opinion, and repost on this thing and say you think we need more sleep, take it from me..we do need more sleep.

Old 07-16-2007, 10:15 AM

3,434 posts, read 9,721,294 times
I think it depends on how old the teen is, if they are 16, going to school, keeping a p/t job, they seem to be pretty mature IMHO anyway. So Im sure they can figure out when to sleep. I think the parent needs to set the rules otherwise, especially on school nights. I wasnt much of a night owl though during the week, Id go to bed without anyone telling me to by 9pm

Old 07-16-2007, 10:40 AM

6,578 posts, read 25,382,991 times
Our district has 4 high schools and the kids (and teachers) get to choose to attend class 8-3 or 9-4. It's almost all girls between 8-9. Boys rarely take the 8-3 schedule.

At my last job in a law firm you could set your own hours. Only a very small number of women came in at 7:30 and one man came in early. Everyone else came in between 8:30-10. The super early times are rough on a lot of people. Schools shouldn't have these kids at school at 7am.

Old 07-17-2007, 12:55 PM

26,680 posts, read 41,537,277 times
It won't help students who work after-school and get home at 10 and still have 2 hrs worth of HW to do. i did that my senior year and my school started at 8:15. It would help if i had HW i could do in the hour b4 i had to go to work.

Also an old district i went to for 1st 2 yrs of HS started at 7:20 and ended b4 2, i loved it.

Old 07-17-2007, 04:41 PM

20,793 posts, read 61,093,078 times
This 'movement' has been around for quite a while and some schools try it and find it doesn't really work with the after school commitments teens have-sports, jobs, homework, etc. I do see that teens do need more sleep and having teens myself, "just have them go to be earlier" doesn't help. They can go to bed and lay there until 10:00 and fall asleep or they can go to bed at 9:45 and go to sleep at 10:00, it doesn't make much difference. Our high school starts at 7:30, VERY early in my opinion, but it does leave more daylight after school hours to get things done.

Old 07-19-2007, 12:57 AM

Location: here at the the present time, but on my way to heaven to meet my Criator
45 posts, read 188,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn4261 View Post
I live in Florida. On the East coast, they were going to switch around the high school and Elementary schools start and dismissal times. They also thought that the High schoolers would do better if they got more sleep, since the little ones went to bed earlier and woke earlier. The parents fought this "experiment" and won. If a teenager goes to school later and comes home later than their younger sibling, then who would be there for the little ones when they got home from school? A household with two working parents, depend on the older kids to be there in the afternoon when the little ones get home. Which is anywhere between 3 and 4 o'clock here. Elementary schools start here anywhere from 9-9:30. Perfect for a parent to get teenagers and little ones off to school, then make it to their 9-5 jobs. And what about the parent(s) who work second shift and have to be at work later in the afternoon around 2 or 3? There would be alot of families who would have to find and pay for after school care if their little ones could not be looked after by their older siblings. It makes sense for the kids to come home earliest depending on their age. Besides when these kids are out of High School, most of them wont be able to sleep in all morning. They need to get prepared for Showing up on time to college, work, even job interviews. The world is not going to wait for them to roll out of bed or get up off their lazy butts. The early bird gets the worm, so they better get used to it now. It's just the reality of adulthood.
WELL SAID.

Old 07-19-2007, 06:04 AM

5,047 posts, read 5,757,186 times
The high school here picks up the kids at 7;30am. They are home by 2;30pm.

My kids go to catholic and they get on the bus at 7;30 and home by 3pm. I dont have a problem with it at all. I think when they go to high school they will leave earlier in the morning. I think it shows them that the world does not revolve around them
d

Old 07-19-2007, 07:06 AM

5,284 posts, read 19,992,357 times
My kids got up at 5:30 am to go to religion class every morning while going to high school. They caught the school bus at 7:15am - had band, orchestra, drama or basketball practice after school. The youngest is in his last year of law school and graduated magna *** laud at UCLA....the oldest owns a successful commercial landscaping business and the middle son works full time and is going to college. They learned early in life that you don't sleep your life away - you get up early and go to work - that is how you become successful. Excuses, excuses - why are we constantly lowering the bar of expectations for our kids??

Last edited by Cattknap; 07-19-2007 at 07:34 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting