Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2007, 08:29 AM

486 posts, read 979,369 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vseale View Post
NYC2RDU, thank you so much for your kind words. Funny, you should mention writing an article. After I posted the note, I started thinking about it and realized I had more to say. I am researching the idea and am going to pitch it to some parenting magainzes. Wish me luck!
You really should, I would be interested in reading more. After I read your post I told my son in a very excited way, that when we move to California we are going to have Saturday Adventure Days. He said "what's that". After explaining he is very excited and can't wait to get to California. He's only nine so that type of thing is stilll very exciting to him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2007, 08:42 AM

7,573 posts, read 10,589,337 times
I think it is different for every child, and I believe, if the move will be a positive one in the long run for everyone, meaning a better quality of life all around, the adjustments can be made at any age...its just how it is done. We are presently "for sale" in northern NJ, making a move to NC....we have 4 children 2 college-age who are completely looking forward to the move, and an 8 and 10 year old. Initially, when we broke the news last month, there were lots of tears the first couple of days from the younger ones, but then with some negotiating, purple colored room, monkey wallpaper, Nintendo Wii, a puppy? , then, the beginning of acceptance, they seem to be "okay" at the moment. (although, be careful with negotiating, could get you into trouble ) When the "for sale" sign went up 3 weeks ago, my daughter and I sat on the stairs, watching the boy hammering in the sign, ...sigh..., my daughter cried, and it really hit home for me also. I pray this house sells and we move before the end of this upcoming school year....middle school for my 10 year old next year, and really, that is when, IMO, middle school that is, when relationships are really beginning to establish. Best of luck to you! Jeannie

Old 10-14-2007, 08:40 PM

3 posts, read 7,555 times
I hate to be such a downer but,
I moved when I was 14/15? and I had many failed attempts at suicide.
I went to therapy and they told me the only way I could 'get better' was to move back. (Nice advice, thanks tips.)
But yah,
I wasn't a very adaptable kid.
I still don't think I've gotten over it.

It really depends on the individual child's adaptability level.
It can range to extremes.
But usually it's after 6th grade, in my experience.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:42 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,773,508 times
I think, generally speaking, a few moves do not harm children, and can actually help them in learning how to deal with emotions and life. We moved several times and both of my kids are doing well.

I think you need to do what is best for your family, as a whole, and do what you can to help them adjust.

Old 10-15-2007, 07:45 AM

348 posts, read 1,018,701 times
My parents moved us across town when I was in 5th grade and I was devasted. But that was a time when people didn't really move around. People are so much more transient now days and my kids, kindergarten-8th grade, are always having new kids in their class. It's different now to be the new kid, because there are so many. If you feel the move will benefit your family, do it. Just be supportive of your childrens feelings and talk with them ALOT! We've had a couple of moves with our kids and they survived and made new friends and still have old friends they keep in touch with. I tell them how blessed we are to have so many friends spread out all over

Old 10-16-2007, 03:50 PM

618 posts, read 1,606,879 times
I am moving my two daughters from IN to ID.
My oldest is 22 and my youngest is 18, and they are soo excited to be moving.
My youngest has been wanting to move for about 10 years now.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:14 AM

631 posts, read 2,437,451 times
I'm much older now, but I was moved here and there as a kid and it was ok. When I was finishing up my sophmore year we moved so I could do my junior and senior year back where we used to live. Looking back I see I did not adjust. I could not learn new faces to new names. I felt like the new people looked just like the ones in my older school but with new names. I was so disorientated I never got it together thru the rest of high school. Thought I had lost my mind. I would just KNOW that person was so and so from my old school. Nothing made sense. It was spooky. I didn't mind moving at all, but once we did it was a mess for me.

Old 10-17-2007, 01:20 PM

8,176 posts, read 18,477,769 times
I'm a preacher's kid so we moved alot. The most tramatic for me was I was a sophmore and my brother was a junior...it was hard but we survived and looking back it was good that we moved out of the town we were im....that being said.....
We weren't given a choice, moving was a fact of life. My older sister had moved just as much as we did so when she asked me how mom and dad got us to move I had to look at her blindly. It seems they had to move and her 14 yo said NO WAY.
I then asked....you actually gave her a choice?
Moving is hard on children of all ages but it also makes them more adaptable to new situations.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:03 AM

6 posts, read 35,880 times
Default Moving

I moved so many times as a kid; I don't even know why. My mother was like a nomad/hippy moving us from MD to PA, then back to MD, to TN, to GA, and then back to MD again. We lived in a tent, a van, a camper, and many very small houses. We originally lived in Reisterstown, MD, a very nice "normal" neighborhood, but my mother wanted to "live off the land." There were 5 of us kids, and we all hated it. I think I attended something like 15 schools throughout 1-12 grades. I even lived with my grandparents and my dad for awhile.

So now my fiance wants to move to Florida from Maryland. He decided this in a month. He shut down his company, and his house just sold, and he's going whether I go or not. My kids are in 12th and 8th grades. I'm thinking if I wanted to move, now would be the time, while one is finished high school and the other is just going into high school. What do you all think? What would be best for the kids? Should I just let him go and work out his midlife crisis and stay here and let my youngest go to high school here, or should I move them now "while I have the chance?" I can't decide because I keep thinking of the horror I went through as a kid and moving. It's not like I've ever moved my kids before, though, and we live in an actual house, lol. I would absolutely LOVE to go to Florida; I don't like Maryland. I want to do what is best for the kids, but I also don't want to let the love of my life slip away. I don't know what to do. I'm taking them down there for spring break to check it out, but at this point, if I want to move down there, I will have to get yet another house all by myself, because he's buying one next week. It really kind of p*sses me off to be frank that he would move so suddenly and not even consider moving in here with us for awhile. I think he's going about it stupidly and uneducatedly. The only things he knows about Fort Myers, FL is that it doesn't get any snow.

Old 02-19-2008, 08:55 AM

1,032 posts, read 4,252,134 times
We have moved a few times, the most recent being this past October - our boys are 7, 5 & 2. In all honesty, the kids handled it great - better than I thought!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting