Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2009, 08:38 PM

132 posts, read 370,207 times

Advertisements

I think you're either a person who finds satisfaction in procreation, or you're not. I can't say just having children is a gift, or even a great accomplishment, seeing as it's one of the most common things around. I would say that managing to raise decent human beings is an increasingly great accomplishment though. I never had the ambition to have kids, and feel the world would be a better place if people would just go away. But I ended up with a baby daughter. I haven't been too moved or changed by it, but I do believe she may grow to be a gift in my life. I feel I'm here to make greater contributions than simply to have children, and I still have reservations about devoting that much of myself to raising another person. But I don't regret that she's in my life, she's there for a good reasons, and for reasons unforseen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2009, 08:41 PM

13,448 posts, read 15,475,235 times
No. Not ever.

Being a parent has its share of challenges, and there were times I wanted to just go - somewhere - but it is probably one of my most worthwhile time investments. The relationship I have with my daughter cannot be measured.

Old 10-08-2009, 09:56 PM

2,568 posts, read 6,750,001 times
No. We almost lost our dd at birth and every time I think what could have happened I am very grateful to have her. And without her we wouldn't have had our ds. I feel we have the perfect family.

Old 10-08-2009, 10:16 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,625,398 times
Parental love is the only love that grows toward separation. It is a natural thing that you should want your children to grow to a place where they can take care of themselves and someday maybe even take care of their parents, but not as long as this parent can take care of herself.

Just think about a world where no one grows up. LOL Well, sometimes we see that happen, but it is not pretty.

I have two children that have three children of their own. The joy comes with the grandchildren. No, not really. Grandchildren are a joy, but seeing your children mature into responsible adults is also a joy and blessing.

Now the question is, were my husband and I good parents or were we just blessed? I think it is a little of both. I remember telling my children that mean Moms make good kids. Not one of my children is a goat though.

If I had a choice, I would do it all over again. They're G-R-E-A-T!

Old 10-08-2009, 10:32 PM

37,608 posts, read 45,978,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karci186 View Post
Since nobody in person would ever admit this, I thought I would ask online anonymously.

I'm an young adult thinking about having kids one day, however the people that I talk to in person tell me how great their kids are, and that their babies are gifts. Which I completely understand becuz their babies, and I do likes my friends babies, but I'm not with them 24/7.

That said, on the other side, I know a few people who can't wait to get rid of their kids. Comments likes, I can't wait until they turn 18. So, I have to think, if you thinks kids are gifts, why do you want them to leave so soon?

That said, do you regret having kids?
Far from it. Nothing in my life has given me more joy than my son. As for him leaving, heck NO, I am NOT looking forward to it. I assure you, not everyone is of the mindset of those comments. In fact, I don't know any parents that "can't wait to get rid of their kids". The ones that I know are are pretty much like me - hating the thought of them leaving!

Old 10-08-2009, 10:48 PM

6,884 posts, read 11,240,908 times
Smile Having kids - NO REGRETS AT ALL - they are the best!

I never saw myself getting married or having kids.

Well, years go by and guess what, I married and had kids. It was a surprise but was the best thing I EVER did. I love my kids more than anything and I just wish I could turn the clock back 20 years and do it all over again.

Good times! And, if I had my way, I'd love them both to stay around but I know they have to move on.

Last edited by Bette; 10-08-2009 at 10:50 PM.. Reason: added wording

Old 10-08-2009, 10:58 PM

389 posts, read 1,075,254 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karci186 View Post
Since nobody in person would ever admit this, I thought I would ask online anonymously.

I'm an young adult thinking about having kids one day, however the people that I talk to in person tell me how great their kids are, and that their babies are gifts. Which I completely understand becuz their babies, and I do likes my friends babies, but I'm not with them 24/7.

That said, on the other side, I know a few people who can't wait to get rid of their kids. Comments likes, I can't wait until they turn 18. So, I have to think, if you thinks kids are gifts, why do you want them to leave so soon?

That said, do you regret having kids?
I will never regret having my children. I do regret, however, that I wasn't in a better position to provide for them when they were born. But, that is vastly different than regretting having had them.

I also look forward to the time when they become adults and go out onto their own, too, though. This isn't because I want "rid" of them, but because I look forward to seeing the shape that their lives take throughout the years.

/I have 1 boy & 1 girl
//I had the girl when I was 20
///The boy when I was 23
//I won't regret it ever

Old 10-09-2009, 06:35 AM

1,952 posts, read 4,789,116 times
Good God, no. They are the greatest gifts of my life!

Old 10-09-2009, 09:12 AM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
If you have any question as to whether you will have regrets do not do it. A human life is too precious to take a chance.

Old 10-09-2009, 09:41 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Another thing - people on their death beds almost never say they wish they would have put more time in at work or made more money, they wish they would have spent more time on family, had kids or had more kids, or traveled more but jobs and careers aren't a big thing. When it's all said and done, is it better to have left behind a large bank account or a slew of children and grandchildren that you loved?

Not that it matters anymore once you die but you can't hug your diamonds, your diamonds don't love you back.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting