Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: will you be giving your kids the H1N1 vaccine?
no 43 58.90%
yes 30 41.10%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 11:33 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,050,869 times

Advertisements

No. After much thought and reading and talking and even a bit of stressing-out over the issue... we decided that we were not going to do the regular flu vaccine or the H1N1 vaccine. We feel that we'd rather risk getting sick and dealing with recovering from getting sick for a few days rather than getting a shot which might or might not work and might or might not make us even more sick with either reactions to the shots themselves or cancer or liver or kidney failure later on down the road... Personally we just finally decided it wasn't worth it, and that this whole shot/vaccination craze is all part of a money-grubbing pharmaceutical ploy to make all of us drug-dependent so that their profits continue to grow, while we continue to get sicker and sicker due to the chemicals and then, hence, needing more drugs.

But that's just us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 10:15 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,297,629 times
My wife and I really thought long and hard on this one.... We have a 6 and a 1 year old and we've decided we aren't going to get it...

For starters, H1N1 is already all around us. The vaccine won't be available to us for at least another two weeks, and if it's true that they'll need two doses, we're talking another 2-4 weeks before the vaccine is even helping...

Beyond that, I find it VERY disconcerting that they think they can come out and tell us with ANY certainty that this new vaccine is safe... Based on what? There hasn't been time for any long-term study on this, and barely the time for much clinical trial at all.....

Sounds to me like a rushed product that they are trying to sell and they have EVERY incentive to just say it's fine and safe... They want to calm fears and make a little $$$ as well... I"ll risk getting the flu instead I guess...

Old 10-15-2009, 11:21 AM

5,747 posts, read 12,054,634 times
Both kids received the seasonal flu shot this morning, and they will receive H1N1 as soon as it's available from public health, which should be any day now in our area. My husband and I will get the seasonal and H1N1 vaccines through his employer. There's no guarantee that we won't get sick anyway, but I'd rather not take the chance. Our elementary school had nearly a 20% absence rate last week because of the flu. Many of these kids have been out for a week or more while they recuperated, and they were miserable. It just isn't worth it to me. I'd rather let them take one healthy hooky day later in the school year than see them laying on the couch for days and days feeling awful, only to have a week's worth of school work to make up when they feel better.

Although I'm a SAHM, I can imagine it is a real burden on working parents to have kids out sick for an extended period. One of our close family friends has three kids, and she's had to take two-and-a-half weeks of unpaid leave as the flu has rolled through her family one kid at a time. On top of that, she called yesterday to say that she had developed symptoms, so now her husband is taking leave to take care of her. By mid-week, I'm guessing he'll be home sick, too. Who needs that?!

Old 10-15-2009, 07:34 PM

546 posts, read 2,204,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rkb0305 View Post
this is what I was wondering. If I already had it, do I need to bother with the vaccine? I have a call into my doc.
thanks for the links and input! they help.

Old 10-16-2009, 05:51 AM

8 posts, read 31,743 times
Yes when it's available at her regular pediatrician. Plenty of Hand washing and Germ talks going on in my house right now.

Old 10-16-2009, 06:04 AM

551 posts, read 1,574,411 times
I have never given my kids any flu shots and don't plan on starting now. I myself haven't had one in years either. Last time I had the flu was the year I got the shot, about 7 years ago. In my opinion, to much hype about them. Wash your hands often and you'll probably be fine.

Old 10-16-2009, 07:48 AM

RKB, are you absolutely certain you had H1N1? Was it confirmed by nasal swab and laboratory testing? If so, then you do not need to have the H1N1 vaccine. You should still have the seasonal flu vaccination.

Old 10-16-2009, 08:44 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,751,086 times
This is a question for parents who actually WOULD consider giving their children flu shots in general.

So if my son had seasonal flu two weeks ago, (he clearly had a flu virus of some sort, and tested negative for Influenza A) do you think he should still get a seasonal flu shot? There's multiple strains, right?

Neither his brother nor I (who both got flu shorts last winter) caught this bug from him, so I'm assuming it was a seasonal variety, which I guess are more prevalent in the spring/fall, versus deep winter.

Old 10-16-2009, 12:29 PM

Yes, CDC, I would still take him to receive the seasonal flu shot.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:18 PM

5,644 posts, read 13,230,340 times
Absolutely will be getting the H1N1 vaccine, all of us have already done the seasonal vaccine.

The H1N1 vaccine is no different than the seasonal vaccine, produced the same way, tested the same way. Its just a different strain of virus.

Not sure why anyone would get the seasonal and be worried about the H1N1 vaccine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting