Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: will you be giving your kids the H1N1 vaccine?
no 43 58.90%
yes 30 41.10%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 04:13 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,278,952 times

Advertisements

I remember back in April when H1N1 hit the news hearing reports about doctors prescribing Tamiflu in mass quantities because people were demanding it. One of my friends daughters has the regular flu, she went to the doctor he prescribed Tamiflu to her, then the other daughter and Mom got the same symptoms but no Tamiflu, they are both feeling better but the one on Tamiflu is still experiencing vomiting and not feeling well.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2009, 02:00 PM

7 posts, read 9,936 times
I just got both my kids the seasonal flu shot and my son got the h1n1 also.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:03 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,698,996 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclown View Post
YES. Only a moron, someone not educated or a cult-member would not get their child vaccinatted for anything. There really are no excuses
Only a moron believes that every cold and flu is deadly. We're not all going to die, keep that in mind. A healthy immune system is a stimulated immune system and even childhood diseases like polio did not harm children who became infected by them at a young enough age, it was when the infection was delayed until older ages.

Colds and flus are actually a part of life, I never have received a flu shot, nor have my children and we did not get sick yet. One child had a sore throat last week that lasted a couple days, no flu vaccines given, no antibiotics and he's completely better. Not every virus or bacteria is a death sentence. Stop panicking just because the news media is trying to make you panic.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:06 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,072,850 times
Quote:
YES. Only a moron, someone not educated or a cult-member would not get their child vaccinatted for anything. There really are no excuses
Maybe people don't want to be medical guinea pigs.
Funny, the flu is already wide spread.
How many times do people get the flu shot then months later the media reveals that 'it was for the wrong strain this year.'
I do believe this is a personal choice. I am not a moron, nor am I 'uneducated', nor a cult member. Cult members do things blindly...

Old 11-04-2009, 08:30 AM

4,267 posts, read 6,183,374 times
Quote:
I didn't say it was deadly. You're putting words in my mouth. I don't have any kids, and I get my flu shot every year and I've been fine. If you don't get the flu shot, and don't get sick, thats fine. I just think that not giving kids shots is a wrong decision.
You'll get to make that decision for your own children.

People who have done their research, weighed the pros and cons and then came to decision not to vaccinate for everything that their child's pediatrician recommended are hardly morons, or uneducated or cult members.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:53 AM

62 posts, read 263,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
You'll get to make that decision for your own children.

People who have done their research, weighed the pros and cons and then came to decision not to vaccinate for everything that their child's pediatrician recommended are hardly morons, or uneducated or cult members.
I'm not sure what you meant by research but how can you deny the plain fact of efficiency of vaccination.
You can be lucky although you don't get a shot but if you get sick, it is not just about you. The infection is exponetial and it affects people around you.
This is especially true for children since they usually stay together in a small space. The decision you make for your children can and will affect other children.

Old 11-04-2009, 08:54 AM

1,156 posts, read 3,750,378 times
Overall, its a risk assessment pure and simple. Either you prefer to risk the illness, or you prefer to risk the vaccine. Everyone's family is different, so for an illness like this I think its prefectly reasonable for everyone to make their own choice.

However, the prevailing wisdom of immunizations has been the argument that when virtually everone gets vaccinated, then the population also has "herd immunity". I forsee that even for illneses like measles and pertussis, this is no longer going to be the case since so many families feel that the vaccines are too risky and opt out.

I think vaccine makers are going to have to start re-engineering vaccines to be more tailored to indivual immunity rather than the herd, which means the process of immunizing will become more time consuming (titering) and costly for patients who participate. It will also like have the effect of driving demand for "cleaner" vaccines that don't have the additives that are most controversial. Expect to pay much more.

Old 11-04-2009, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus89 View Post
I'm not sure what you meant by research but how can you deny the plain fact of efficiency of vaccination.
You can be lucky although you don't get a shot but if you get sick, it is not just about you. The infection is exponetial and it affects people around you.
This is especially true for children since they usually stay together in a small space. The decision you make for your children can and will affect other children.

You really don't know what I meant when I said research?

When I did my research I looked at disease rates before and after introduction of the vaccine. I looked at risk of complications from the disease as well as risk of death. I researched alternative treatments. I researched the potential risk of a vaccine reaction including the types of reactions and the potential for one to happen. I looked at information from pro-vaccine sources as well as anti-vaccination sources. I looked at studies. There was no clear cut answer so I weighed all of this information and ultimately made my decisions based on what I felt most comfortable with. I thought about how I would feel if my child came down with a VPD as well as how I would feel if my child had an adverse reaction to a vaccination. I agree with CDC3217's statement that it's a risk assessment. People can do the same exact research and come to very different conclusions. It's not an easy thing to research and it's not an easy decision to make.

Oh and after all of this research I can deny the efficiency of at least one vaccine. My child stays home with me so she is not in small spaces with other children. If we get sick we stay home.

Old 11-04-2009, 10:20 AM

62 posts, read 263,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yodi View Post
You really don't know what I meant when I said research?

When I did my research I looked at disease rates before and after introduction of the vaccine. I looked at risk of complications from the disease as well as risk of death. I researched alternative treatments. I researched the potential risk of a vaccine reaction including the types of reactions and the potential for one to happen. I looked at information from pro-vaccine sources as well as anti-vaccination sources. I looked at studies. There was no clear cut answer so I weighed all of this information and ultimately made my decisions based on what I felt most comfortable with. I thought about how I would feel if my child came down with a VPD as well as how I would feel if my child had an adverse reaction to a vaccination. I agree with CDC3217's statement that it's a risk assessment. People can do the same exact research and come to very different conclusions. It's not an easy thing to research and it's not an easy decision to make.

Oh and after all of this research I can deny the efficiency of at least one vaccine. My child stays home with me so she is not in small spaces with other children. If we get sick we stay home.
To understand your risk assessment, could you share the result of your research regarding "the potential rist of a vaccine reaction" with us ?
I think in this case it is important to know the probabilty from the scientific study and with this number, we can talk about the best risk assessment.

Old 11-04-2009, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sisyphus89 View Post
To understand your risk assessment, could you share the result of your research regarding "the potential rist of a vaccine reaction" with us ?
I think in this case it is important to know the probabilty from the scientific study and with this number, we can talk about the best risk assessment.
Sorry but I'm not going to do the research for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting