Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 07:43 PM

3,388 posts, read 3,904,404 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
That article does get right to the problem. Even to this day Mrs. Klebold is not willing to see that this was a whole lot more than her son's suicide. She is playing up the loss of her killer son, referring to his crime as a suicide and playing down the murders he committed of the other students. The problem wasn't suicide at all.
The reference cited (the link to the LA Times) was to an opinion piece.

Did I misunderstand and you were really referring to the Klebold article itself?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 08:49 PM

691 posts, read 2,329,236 times
Okay, I read the article in "Oprah", and honestly, this woman has gone to so much therapy about it, that she has completely disassociated herself from her son's actions, in order to deal with the guilt. I still say, that if you don't know what is going on with a child in your own home, that there is a problem. She knew he did not like the school he was going to, did she investigate alternatives for him? Did she talk to him about why he did not like the school? Ask him what alternative suggestions he might have?

I don't like the fact that she did not say she was sorry in the article. I suppose all legal issues, not wanting to be open to litigation, or whatever...But still, your son committed one of the most outrageous mass murders in the united states, and you just act like, it had nothing to do with you at all...

Old 10-25-2009, 09:50 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eastwesteastagain View Post
The reference cited (the link to the LA Times) was to an opinion piece.

Did I misunderstand and you were really referring to the Klebold article itself?
Both. The Columbine killings weren't a "suicide" yet that's what Mrs. Klebold wants to make it. I tend to think she's lived much of her parenting life in denial.

She never got to know her son, didn't help him get through his issues and left him to work them out with a psychopath peer. He needed a whole lot more than a suicide hotline.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:59 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
People, this wasn't ment to be an "apology piece", it was an article about the moms feeling. And I "feel" for her.

Claiming she is "in denial" is crazy, obviously she has lived through hell and there is no way she has ever been in denial about the situation. But she should not have to spend every waking moment appeasing strangers so they know that she knows her son did bad. Looking at this from her perspective should be eye opening (and a little scary) to everyone, not fodder to insult her.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Both. The Columbine killings weren't a "suicide" yet that's what Mrs. Klebold wants to make it. I tend to think she's lived much of her parenting life in denial.

She never got to know her son, didn't help him get through his issues and left him to work them out with a psychopath peer. He needed a whole lot more than a suicide hotline.
This is total BS from someone who knows nothing. Why bother..

Old 10-26-2009, 01:16 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
This is total BS from someone who knows nothing. Why bother..
I know as much as you do about it -- you are entitled to your opinion but it's sure not the same as mine. She raised a cold-blooded killer. My sympathies are for the real victims.

Old 10-26-2009, 02:27 AM

576 posts, read 994,485 times
Default sometimes...........

I just had to jump in on this conversation.

I have a daughter (now so very stable) who, at one time, I was sure was going to be the nation's first *female* teenage mass murderer. I just knew she would do just what the two boys of Columbine did, and she was a teen at the time of the Columbine tragedy.

The signs were all there, very visible. I did everything within my power to get her help.

She is now well into adulthood and so very stable, thank goodness. But it was a horrendous experience, a hell*sh time for all of us.

I knew the signs were there, school administrators knew it, social workers knew it, psych docs knew it, etc. etc. etc. And still ..........

She was dx'd as bi-polar and put on meds and rx'd talk-taltherapy, as well as a behavioral counselor. But she refused her meds, and yes, even a teen has the right to refuse meds (much to her parent's dismay). Repeated psych hospital confinements, as a result. She would threaten homicide/suicide, and be hospitalized. Promise the powers-that-be the sun moon and stars with regard to compliance with meds, therapy, only to be bounced out of the 72 hour hold in a psych ward, and right back to the same old antics.

She threatened, (verbally) many in those days, her siblings, us - her parents, school staff, you name it, as well as herself, regularly.

I just wanted to say that I'm not real sure, having lived what we did, that the mother, even if she saw the signs, could've done a whole lot to prevent it. I saw signs of very very dismal/troubling behaviors and did everything in my power and then some to get my daughter the help she so badly needed.

Fortunately, we came out on the other side, her as an adult, and stable these days. But I was sure, at one time, that she would likely be dead before adulthood, likely at her own hand, and take some with her in the process.

It's interesting to note that there wouldn't of been a whole lot I could've done, beyond what I was already doing, to prevent such a tragedy. Confinement, against her will, was not an option, other than the requisite 72 hour hold in a psych ward, which happened multitudes of times. She regularly left a trail of evidence of her intentions, written, journals, etc. They would be shown to the various parties involved in her care, and this parent would beg to the practitioners that we please do something before something tragic occurs. It was pretty much a matter that one can write, say/threaten, anything they want. It's "acting" upon said threats that gets one confined.

She was deeply deeply disturbed. She would cut on herself regularly and use the blood drippings to put on photos of family members, after having drawn a knife into the skull of per se a picture of her sister, and use her own blood on the picture, to depict the blood from the knife wound. I can recall one one instance, calling law enforcement to my home for a threat that she made. I was told, in her presence, by law enforcement, that she can threaten all she wants, not much can be done about it, it's "acting" on that threat. I remember just like it was yesterday, asking the law enforcement officer "So what you are telling me is that I have to wait until she actually attempts to murder somebody, even though she's telling everybody and their brother she intends to do so, I have to wait til she actually attempts to do so, before I can do anything about it .......... and hope and pray to God that she doesn't succeed?!?!?, that's what you're telling me?!?!?". Indeed, that was the message.

I have to wonder how many parents still out there, are waging the battle we once waged. Knowing full well their child is deeply disturbed and trying every angle possible to get the child the help they need to prevent a huge huge tragedy.

Old 10-26-2009, 10:29 AM

4,082 posts, read 5,043,380 times
it is hard for me to understand how a mother or father does not or cannot see suicidal tendancies in a teen ager if anything you might suspect something get help , it might not be anything ,might be something but still dont be clueless .

It's easy to judge. Its hard to be a parent. Teenagers can be moody, and like to be alone. I have a teen and he can be moody, likes to be in his room. He also is a happy kid and likes his family.

Depression is not always visible. Kids can be depressed and hide it very well. Most people are not knowledgeable on the signs of depression. I worked with someone many years ago who's 13 year old son killed himself when the whole family was home. They didn't think he was depressed. He showed no signs. It was a close family that generally seemed happy.

Old 10-26-2009, 04:06 PM

This thread shows just how scared people are that this could happen in their family. If they deny it and just claim Dylans family (mom) was not as good as them, then it won't happen to them....right?

Old 10-26-2009, 07:21 PM

751 posts, read 2,481,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceece View Post
This thread shows just how scared people are that this could happen in their family. If they deny it and just claim Dylans family (mom) was not as good as them, then it won't happen to them....right?
That is my interpretation also.

I happened to read this story when I saw the magazine come out last week. It's very sad for everyone involved. It is a wake up call to the entire world, not just parents. Everyone who came in contact with these boys had the opportunity to see that something was wrong. No one did. Of course hind sight is 20/20. That does no good unless you are willing to tell others about the signs you overlooked and/or ignored so they can prevent this in the future.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting