Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 05:44 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,900,644 times

Advertisements

In a couple of weeks I will be flying by myself with a 3 yr old and an 18 month old. I didn't buy a seat for the youngest, it is a 3 1/2 hour flight and I am looking for helpful hints.

My two main concerns are- 1) around the airport- I'm thinking I would be crazy not to bring a stroller with, I have the sit-n-stand type and 2) how to keep the 18 month on my lap, she is pretty squirmy at this age. I am think if getting a Snugli to help keep in controlled.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 05:55 PM

3,769 posts, read 8,799,123 times
You probably should have brought a seat for the other child. Otherwise you should plan on seating them together. As for the trip itself - the usual applies - bring toys they havent seen; if you have or can get a portable dvd player with headphones; if you can wear them out by letting them run around as much as you can - I always try to board close to as last as possible - that way they are constricted for a short time - for the 3 year old a lollipop will help to pop her ears.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:56 PM

Oh yeah - bring the stroller - you can bring it up till you board - they will take it - and then have it when you get off the plane.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:08 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,106,143 times
I strongly recommend the halter and leash. If you find yourself with a delay in the airport, trying to keep a 3 yr old and an 18 mo old from moving or at least in the same direction could be a disaster in the making. If you have each of them on a back leash, you have a back-up for preventing them from getting to far away from you.

I know, some people think it's "cruel" to leash your children. I am of the opinion that it's safer for all - you know your children cannot get away beyond a foot or two. What happens when you are changing the 18 month old or whatever? Children cannot sit for 3.5 hrs of flight time and 1/2 hr of after boarding time (remember those with small children board FIRST), that adds 1/2 hr right there to sitting cramped in an airplane. So if you can let either of them move around and get some exercise before boarding, that's ideal.

Here's 2 links:
Little Safety Harness by Natalé

Should Toddlers Wear a Leash for Safety? - Two Moms and an Expert Sound Off - General Safety Issues Articles - Twins Today
What Does the Expert Say?
"Practically, children on leashes in very crowded venues seems like a reasonable safety measure," says Dr. Carol Steltenkamp, a mom and pediatrician at the University of Kentucky Children's Hospital. "Socially, one could compare it to how we treat our pets. So which is correct? Do we love and value our pets more than our children, or do we just need to keep a better watch over our kids?"

PS. I am not only a mother and grandmother, but a great grandma as well.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:12 PM

3,256 posts, read 8,900,644 times
I did book a flight around her nap time purposely, I just wasn't able to buy another seat, or believe me I would have. When she's really tired, she can literally sleep anywhere as long as she'd confined, so I'm hoping.

I do recall my son having the ear issue when I flew with just him, so I'll definitely remember to have them eating and drinking when we're taking off and landing.

One question that might seem silly. If I am able to buy her a seat, am I supposed to haul her carseat around the airport the whole time? Seems a little inconvenient.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:13 PM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,098 times
Bring lollipops to deal with ear-popping time (take off and landing). Don't sit behind someone who looks like they've never had kids before. They'll give you a hard time the first time your kid kicks their chair. (Look for the over-coiffuered fashionista with the big sunglasses.)

Old 10-22-2009, 06:20 PM

1,492 posts, read 3,233,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
I strongly recommend the halter and leash. If you find yourself with a delay in the airport, trying to keep a 3 yr old and an 18 mo old from moving or at least in the same direction could be a disaster in the making. If you have each of them on a back leash, you have a back-up for preventing them from getting to far away from you.

I know, some people think it's "cruel" to leash your children. I am of the opinion that it's safer for all - you know your children cannot get away beyond a foot or two. What happens when you are changing the 18 month old or whatever? Children cannot sit for 3.5 hrs of flight time and 1/2 hr of after boarding time (remember those with small children board FIRST), that adds 1/2 hr right there to sitting cramped in an airplane. So if you can let either of them move around and get some exercise before boarding, that's ideal.

Here's 2 links:
Little Safety Harness by Natalé

Should Toddlers Wear a Leash for Safety? - Two Moms and an Expert Sound Off - General Safety Issues Articles - Twins Today
What Does the Expert Say?
"Practically, children on leashes in very crowded venues seems like a reasonable safety measure," says Dr. Carol Steltenkamp, a mom and pediatrician at the University of Kentucky Children's Hospital. "Socially, one could compare it to how we treat our pets. So which is correct? Do we love and value our pets more than our children, or do we just need to keep a better watch over our kids?"

PS. I am not only a mother and grandmother, but a great grandma as well.
I'll get hounded for this but it is easy to test the pets vs people love thing as the following sexist internet 'joke' illustrates.

A dog is truly a man's best friend. If you don't believe it, just try this experiment.

Put your dog and your wife in the trunk of the car for an hour.

When you open the trunk, which is really happy to see you?

Couldn't resist - Sorry. Hope I don't get banned.

On the air travel thing,
Write your mobile phone number on the kids arm so if they get separated from you at least the security guy can call you.
On the plane, Fly early in the day - Avaoid the mid afternoon when kids get grizzly.
Get up out of your seat and take them for a walk up and down the isle. If there are other little kids on the plane, then get them together. The best baby sitter for a 3y.o. is another 3y.o. or even a 10 or 11y.o. they can act as mom and have fun together.

Old 10-22-2009, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by floridadreamer View Post
One question that might seem silly. If I am able to buy her a seat, am I supposed to haul her carseat around the airport the whole time? Seems a little inconvenient.
Yes, you do have to haul the seat around. I would just plan on seating the 2 little ones together. If one is a sleeper you may be in good shape. Most important - dont stress about it - it will just make them cranky and edgy. I used to hide toys they hadnt seen in a while and use those. Also - remember to pack a change of clothes for all 3 of you just in case one gets sick - nothing is worse than not having anything to change into.

Ive done the trip with 2 little ones before and the dread was worse than the reality.

Old 10-22-2009, 11:31 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,164,079 times
I did this a couple years ago. I had an 18 month old and a 3.5 year old. I took an umbrella stroller and the 3 year old walked. The 3 year old was still marginal in potty training. I put him in a pull up. I did have to hand the 1 year old over to a flight attendant to take the 3 year old to the bathroom. Take LOTS of snacks. We were delayed for 4 hours and ran out before the plane even took off. Plan to take lots of time getting to and from the gate for potty and diaper changing stops. Everything is just slower. Ask for help if you need it. I had to have strangers carry the stroller twice. Once down an escalator because the elevator was broken, and once from the gate to the plane because it was snowing. Good luck. ETA I had car seats waiting for me at the other end, so I never put either kid in a car seat on the plane.

Old 10-23-2009, 01:05 AM

1,492 posts, read 7,713,465 times
Benadryl
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting