Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 06:36 AM

84 posts, read 268,223 times

Advertisements

A relative of mine is in a real pickle with a nasty ex husband and a continuous nasty custody battle. First her ex husband drove her into bankruptcy when he petitioned the court for full custody of the kids telling the court she is a unfit mother. After spending over $50,000 in legal fees to keep the kids, she had a partial win when the ex husband did not get full custody- but the child support was cut in half.

Now the nasty ex husband has a stop watch and if the kids are not returned to him exactly on time (as layed out in the custody arrangement), he calls the police and says his ex wife has kidnapped the kids. Last time she returned the kids a few minutes late four police cars were waiting for her when she returned home. Now she has lost custody for now and has to find more money to fight to get them back.

Is this common? Tell us your custody horror stories!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 06:50 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,687,389 times
Its unfortunate, but divorce brings out the worst in people. It rarely has anything to do with "what's best for the children".

Old 10-23-2009, 06:56 AM

4,399 posts, read 10,665,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brainy Intellectual Type View Post
A relative of mine is in a real pickle with a nasty ex husband and a continuous nasty custody battle. First her ex husband drove her into bankruptcy when he petitioned the court for full custody of the kids telling the court she is a unfit mother. After spending over $50,000 in legal fees to keep the kids, she had a partial win when the ex husband did not get full custody- but the child support was cut in half.

Now the nasty ex husband has a stop watch and if the kids are not returned to him exactly on time (as layed out in the custody arrangement), he calls the police and says his ex wife has kidnapped the kids. Last time she returned the kids a few minutes late four police cars were waiting for her when she returned home. Now she has lost custody for now and has to find more money to fight to get them back.

Is this common? Tell us your custody horror stories!
Why do I feel like there is more to the story?

Old 10-23-2009, 07:26 AM

6,497 posts, read 11,809,810 times
With crap like this becoming the norm, who in their right mind would get married nowadays?

Old 10-23-2009, 07:29 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
I'd think the police would get to know his antics pretty fast and would stop responding. At least not tying up 4 patrol cars for something like this if they have already had a run in with the situation. If this is the case then maybe she needs to go down to the local police station herself and file harrassment charges on him and talk to someone about the situation. If your friend is really innocent the next time they are in court she needs to let them know that what he is doing by getting the police involved for things like this is really upsetting the children and scaring them as they are afraid their mom is going to get arrested and they might not see her again. She can just lay it out that what is going on with him is really not good for the kids at all and she is afraid that HE might be the one that will actually take the kids and run.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:30 AM

6,446 posts, read 9,801,932 times
She really needs to make sure she is on time everytime, take away anything that can be used against her.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:34 AM

14,862 posts, read 42,855,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SVTLightning View Post
She really needs to make sure she is on time everytime, take away anything that can be used against her.
Agree. She needs to "toe the line" and not do ANYTHING that can be used against her for anything whatsoever. If it means being at the meeting spot an hour early and having to just sit and wait on him then so be it.

Old 10-23-2009, 07:55 AM

6,034 posts, read 10,678,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdm2008 View Post
Why do I feel like there is more to the story?
Same reason that I think some very pertinent facts are being withheld.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:20 AM

1,223 posts, read 1,687,389 times
When it comes to potential child abduction cases the police MUST get involved. Too many things could go wrong and no police dept. wants to get sued. I also think there is more to the story because the mother lost ALL custody, and statistically that almost never happens.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:30 AM

84 posts, read 268,223 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SKP440 View Post
When it comes to potential child abduction cases the police MUST get involved. Too many things could go wrong and no police dept. wants to get sued. I also think there is more to the story because the mother lost ALL custody, and statistically that almost never happens.
I do not know all the facts because I am only hearing it from the mothers side which of course is just one opinion. I was just curious how common it is to get the police involved and if things get this nasty for some people you know.

The father was able to convince the authorities to give him temporary full custody. But of course more court time and lawyer fees will iron it all out eventually.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting