Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:32 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,762 times

Advertisements

Can I hijack for a minute and ask Bellino to clarify that the IEP is a mandate even when you go from one state to another? Just curious b/c we will be moving in a year and I have an IEP for speech for one of my kids as well. So the gaining school district has to prove that the services are no longer needed before canceling the IEP?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 10:26 PM

74 posts, read 217,422 times
1) An IEP is a legal document that follows a student from district to district regardless of the state.

2) IEPs are updated annually and so, assuming your current district will be updating the goals prior to your move- then yes, the gaining district has to honor the time, frequency, and goals

3) The gaining district will have 30 days to update/offer similiar services. It is usually straight forward with speech (e.g. a student with 60 mins 2x a week will have that at the new district). It can get messy with placement options such as finding an equivalent classroom (e.g. special day class, etc.) because it depends on what the district already has in place.

Some districts will recommend an assessment in order to determine if services are still warranted, adjust time/frequency or revise goals to reflect current skills.

If you don't agree with the recommendations then you simply don't sign/consent to the proposed IEP and you will fall into the "stay put" mode. This means, the district will continue to offer what was previously established on the "active" IEP. In the interium, they will work with you until an agreement has been made.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:32 PM

74 posts, read 217,422 times
Bascially, an IEP is never cancelled. There has to be evidence/rationale as to why a student is no longer eligible for special education services. Then, the IEP team has to agree to exit the student. This mean, parents AND educators have to agree.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:41 AM

8,568 posts, read 18,103,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
He does make spelling errors when he writes because of the sound he thinks he hears.

He will self correct if it is brought to his attention but it sounds very strained when he produces beginning and ending r sounds. It is very frustrating and even his teacher from back home was really disappointed in the system here since he had made such strides and we really thought he would successfully exit the program at the end of this school year. Now it seems as though he has taken a step back.
Have you had his hearing checked recently?

Old 10-30-2009, 10:52 AM

3,422 posts, read 10,901,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellino View Post
Bascially, an IEP is never cancelled. There has to be evidence/rationale as to why a student is no longer eligible for special education services. Then, the IEP team has to agree to exit the student. This mean, parents AND educators have to agree.
Thank you. I will remember that when we move.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:53 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,277,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY Annie View Post
Have you had his hearing checked recently?
Yes, his hearing has been checked and it excellent.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:56 AM

Quote:
1) An IEP is a legal document that follows a student from district to district regardless of the state.

2) IEPs are updated annually and so, assuming your current district will be updating the goals prior to your move- then yes, the gaining district has to honor the time, frequency, and goals

3) The gaining district will have 30 days to update/offer similiar services. It is usually straight forward with speech (e.g. a student with 60 mins 2x a week will have that at the new district). It can get messy with placement options such as finding an equivalent classroom (e.g. special day class, etc.) because it depends on what the district already has in place.

Some districts will recommend an assessment in order to determine if services are still warranted, adjust time/frequency or revise goals to reflect current skills.

If you don't agree with the recommendations then you simply don't sign/consent to the proposed IEP and you will fall into the "stay put" mode. This means, the district will continue to offer what was previously established on the "active" IEP. In the interium, they will work with you until an agreement has been made.
I really wish I had known all this before this all started. I didn't know I could refuse to sign and he would have fallen into the "stay put" mode. His IEP at home expired in March 2010 and I was so hoping after 6 months of continued therapy he would have been able to exit the program. I guess I got my wish and he was exited out, just not when I wanted and his goals were not met. Thanks for the info though.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Self-monitoring is key to making progress and so, that's great. If production is still effortful then he likely can still benefit from direct services.

Either way- an IEP is a legal document and they are mandated by the law to adhere to it- regardless of the state. In order to exit the student, an assessment would have to be conducted in order to determine that services are no longer warranted. Also, parental consent IS required to administer a standardized test. In CA, districts have 30 days to offer a "free and appropriate education" when students with IEPs have transferred.

My advice as an SLP- don't sign an assesment plan, make district honor the IEP because it IS the law.

I wish I had know this, I was told they wouldn't honor the IEP because it was from a different state and that he had to be reassessed. I brought the IEP from home that showed his goals until March 2010. They told me if I had come from another district in VA they would have honored it but not from out of state. I feel like I got ran over by a steam roller by them. So if I had never signed for the assesment plan then they would have had to keep him in speech until we went home?

Old 10-30-2009, 06:07 PM

Thanks again everyone, I am feeling much better, spoke to his speech therapist back in NM and she will take him back into the program when we get home, so thank goodness for that. She said he wasn't ready at the end of last school year to exit the program and unless he had made significant progress over the summer (which he hasn't)there was no way he was ready and that he probably wasn't considered high priority compared to others. She has been his therapist since he entered the program and has been the one working with us to set all his goals. So I will chalk this up as lessoned learned and just work with him the best I know how between now and the time we go home.

Old 11-02-2009, 11:41 AM
pll

1,112 posts, read 2,485,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajzjmsmom View Post
I have a 9 yr old in the 3rd grade and he has been taking speech therapy since the end of his first grade year, initially it was for 3 sounds and now it is narrowed down to just his r's. We are on temporary assignment right now so I brought his latest IEP from our home state so that he could continue on with his speech therapy.

We had our meeting today and they are denying him services here even though we had his last IEP at home in March and he needed to continue in speech there. They told me today that he needed to "own" his speech problem and that they normally don't pull kids out of class for the r sound until 4th or 5th grade. They insinuated when he got in the higher grades and realized that he didn't talk the same way as the others he would do something to change it. They also told me the reason he didn't get teased was because all 3rd graders talk the same as him. I of course am upset and thought about filing an appeal but by the time the appeal is settled we will be going back home. Both his father and 2 older brothers had the same speech issue as children and all required therapy.

Has anyone run into this? Not to sure why I am getting 2 entirely different stories, his r issue is very apparent and we are constantly reminding him to correct his r's. I expected him to exit speech with the ability to properly form his r's like his brothers did but I guess it will not happen here. I am very glad that we will be returning to our home state very soon.
I was curious as to how often he went?

My daughter only qualified for a half hour per week. I didn't think that was enough time and it didn't seem to be helping. I pulled her out of speech and have worked more with her at home. She didn't like being pulled from class.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting