Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 07:43 AM

656 posts, read 1,991,181 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omigawd View Post
Like I said, why would I need you to "tweet" me to tell me what you're doing, where you're going, etc??? It's just another un-needed distraction and takes away from "real" life.
I agree!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:02 AM

1,731 posts, read 4,682,743 times
Quote:
I don't "get" Facebook, either. and what is this "Twitter" all about?? Do I really need you to "tweet" me to tell me what you're doing, etc?? Just another way to distract/dumb down the up and coming generation.
I felt the same way until a friend talked me into signing up for Facebook and now I love it. The reason I like it so much is that it has enabled me to hook up with so many old friends and find out what happened to them and what their lives are like now. It's also fun to see pics of people you went to grade school with and see how they turned out physically. Plus there are groups you can join where you can reminice which I have loved as well.

BTW- As a result of a lot of me and my old friends reconnecting on FB we are having several reuinions over the next year. Some of the people I have not seen in over 20 years but we are all going to hook up at a beach resort and party like we did back in the day. I totally can't wait!

Old 10-27-2009, 10:55 AM

8,309 posts, read 38,774,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Ok, please, no flames here, about how dumb I am, computer inept, etc, no flames about how I don't keep control in my own household, don't know what my kids are doing, etc, I KNOW that!

First, I really don't know what Facebook is, other than a social network site. Somehow I got on it, I signed up by "accident" (please, no flames), I was just poking around, got on Facebook, and was instantly frightened that so much could be known about me, so I just signed off.

But I just discovered tonight my daughter is on Facebook! She has 159 "friends". She only 13, and I doubt she understands "discretion". Heaven only knows what she's been saying to her "friends".

Ok, I know, its my "fault" for giving her a computer in the first place, and, second, not monitoring it better. Actually, her Dad allows it, I'm the "computer dummy" here.

Please, I really don't understand WTH Facebook is, but I want her OFF it. The only way I understand how to restrict access is to physically remove the damn thing from her room, I locked it up in my office. My husband is currently out of town, he's coming home next weekend. His attitude is somewhat lax concerning our kids use of computers. BTE, my son "had" a laptop, but he broke it, he likes to fiddle with things, he "fiddled" too much and broke it, so, his access is "denied".

Am I overreacting to my daughter's use of Facebook? I'm just concerned as to what she's doing, who she's chatting with, and what she might be saying. She could out us in a comprimising situation without realizing it. I feel I have a right and obligation to know who she associates with, both physically and in cyberspace.

So, any advice? BTW, she's mad at me big time for taking her computer away, but it was meant for school assignments, etc, not to socialize with heaven knows what!
I think you should join facebook, become her friend and spy on her. That way you will know exactly what she's doing and who she's talking to.

Old 10-27-2009, 02:32 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,715,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimboburnsy View Post
I think you should join facebook, become her friend and spy on her. That way you will know exactly what she's doing and who she's talking to.
This is an excellent idea. But she can't read the kid's "inbox"

Old 10-27-2009, 03:09 PM

8,672 posts, read 22,267,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antlered Chamataka View Post
This is an excellent idea. But she can't read the kid's "inbox"
Good point. That's why a parent should also insist on having the child's password...and using it regularly to look things over.

Old 10-27-2009, 11:59 PM

2,383 posts, read 6,057,572 times
Our whole family has a facebook account. My husband has one, I have one and my ten year old daughter has one. Now...the deal with my daughter is that I monitor it...like a hawk! She does not even know her password to log on. I make up her passwords and change them monthly so she can't figure them out. Once I log her in to her account, I check and see what her friends have sent her, who has sent her a friend request and I determine whether or not she accepts that person as a friend and I also monitor her pictures. I am the only one who is able to upload pictures to her account so I know exactly what is being posted. When she chats with her friends on the instant chat, she HAS to sit next to me so I can see what is being written and talked about. And let me tell you, my daughter is okay with the fact that I am over her shoulder the whole time! She would rather have a facebook account than not have one, and she understands the rules that come along with the privelage!

Old 10-28-2009, 02:05 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Like I said, why would I need you to "tweet" me to tell me what you're doing, where you're going, etc??? It's just another un-needed distraction and takes away from "real" life.
It is - but so are a lot of things.

I kind of like the distraction of reading some niece posting she just went through a haunted house, or my brother just finished mowing his lawn or some cousin I haven't seen in years is just doing okay.

People used to write letters and mail them but that was the old days, now we communicate the same kinds of things but in a different way.

It's all just what you make it. I haven't looked, but I haven't seen anything bad on facebook - and yes a lot of it is college kids staying in touch or families staying in touch with rather mundane aspects of their daily life but that's what staying in touch mostly is. You don't have to wait for life-shattering news to know how people you care about but rarely or never see are doing.

I think it works because a lot of families (and others) no longer live side-by-side but they still like to keep in touch and a message board works. Probably most letters written and mailed were not much different as far as the information contained.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:42 PM

4,507 posts, read 9,061,904 times
159 friends...holy cow...she could have all sorts of crazies in there.
Is there any way to close down or delete her page/account? That's what I would do...then I would join right along with her and start fresh.

Rules here are that you have to actually KNOW people before accepting them as friends. No internet only friends or friends of someone else at this point.
No pictures posted/sent without parental consent and I get access to everything on the page via password. We have other spying programs set up as well. I'm not so worried about DD but you'd be surprised at the kind of trash some 'friends' will post...until they figure out that your mom is watching and your parents spy on your posts and chats. Then they take the garbage and post it somewhere else.

Old 10-28-2009, 08:15 PM

3,633 posts, read 5,355,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marylee54 View Post
Ok, please, no flames here, about how dumb I am, computer inept, etc, no flames about how I don't keep control in my own household, don't know what my kids are doing, etc, I KNOW that!

First, I really don't know what Facebook is, other than a social network site. Somehow I got on it, I signed up by "accident" (please, no flames), I was just poking around, got on Facebook, and was instantly frightened that so much could be known about me, so I just signed off.

But I just discovered tonight my daughter is on Facebook! She has 159 "friends". She only 13, and I doubt she understands "discretion". Heaven only knows what she's been saying to her "friends".

Ok, I know, its my "fault" for giving her a computer in the first place, and, second, not monitoring it better. Actually, her Dad allows it, I'm the "computer dummy" here.

Please, I really don't understand WTH Facebook is, but I want her OFF it. The only way I understand how to restrict access is to physically remove the damn thing from her room, I locked it up in my office. My husband is currently out of town, he's coming home next weekend. His attitude is somewhat lax concerning our kids use of computers. BTE, my son "had" a laptop, but he broke it, he likes to fiddle with things, he "fiddled" too much and broke it, so, his access is "denied".

Am I overreacting to my daughter's use of Facebook? I'm just concerned as to what she's doing, who she's chatting with, and what she might be saying. She could out us in a comprimising situation without realizing it. I feel I have a right and obligation to know who she associates with, both physically and in cyberspace.

So, any advice? BTW, she's mad at me big time for taking her computer away, but it was meant for school assignments, etc, not to socialize with heaven knows what!
if you want my advice, three main things:
first, make sure she's not adding or approving strangers (she should be limiting it to school friends, relatives, etc.);
second, be sure she isn't listing personal contact info on her information page- address, phone number, etc.;
and also, that her "search options" listed under settings is limited- meaning people can't simply type in her name and find her page.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:53 AM

2,966 posts, read 3,915,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCyank View Post
159 friends...holy cow...she could have all sorts of crazies in there.
Is there any way to close down or delete her page/account? That's what I would do...then I would join right along with her and start fresh.

Rules here are that you have to actually KNOW people before accepting them as friends. No internet only friends or friends of someone else at this point.
No pictures posted/sent without parental consent and I get access to everything on the page via password. We have other spying programs set up as well. I'm not so worried about DD but you'd be surprised at the kind of trash some 'friends' will post...until they figure out that your mom is watching and your parents spy on your posts and chats. Then they take the garbage and post it somewhere else.
Actually, my daughter has over 350 friends and she knows every one of them. Whether its someone she sits behind in science, or someone from the soccer team, she knows each one. It's pretty easy to see who's a real person on Facebook. 1. They have lots of wall posts from friends saying ''wanna hang 2nite?" or whatever. 2. They have lots of tagged photos. 3. They don't talk to your child unless they KNOW them well.

Instead of hiding from social networking, learn to embrace it. It's only going to get more popular from here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting