Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2009, 08:28 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,534,474 times

Advertisements

Landry finds her own balance | theadvertiser.com | The Advertiser
Former Miss America Ali Landry had been dressing up her daughter in clothing made locally in her home area (Breaux Bridge, Louisiana). You can see some of her stuff at www.belleparish.com which has some of the children's fashion as well as children's story with the site's title. I wish her all the luck in the world converting Hollywood children from "Bratz" type clothing to true children's clothing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 11:17 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,706,825 times
Cute dresses, but the "big girls" there look about six years old. There is no shortage of pretty, puffed-sleeves dresses with embroidered pinafores for young ones. I find it's much harder to find dressy clothes for girls who are nine years old and up, especially if they are tall.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:14 PM

24,873 posts, read 36,176,449 times
I only have boys, so I don't know about girls clothes. I saw a picture of Suri Cruise walking with mom Katie Holmes in a pair of high heels! I couldn't believe it. She's, what? 3?

Old 10-25-2009, 05:08 PM

1,122 posts, read 2,317,176 times
Silly me I guess but my opinion is based on my experience in sewing clothes myself, including dressed for flower girls.

These clothes are very simple patterns. It doesn't take $10 for these sizes or more than two hours to make, for the average person...much faster for people with precut materials and sewing the same patterns everyday. The only thing I find really special about them is the fact that they are 100% cotton. I like cotton but I can see a lot of people not enjoying ironing them.

I agree that there are not that many appropriate dress up clothes for girls but honestly, these are pretty plain and simple; they have the Simplicity pattern feel to them. There is nothing wrong with that but I'm thinking the prices are going to be much higher than they are worth truthfully. And why is everything pink and purple?

I most definately respect the concept behind them but I personally feel that they are lacking and that many mommies will be bragging about their "designer" speciality clothing.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:29 PM

10,624 posts, read 26,739,553 times
They look nice, but agree with the comment wondering why does everything have to be pink? Can't "big" girls (or baby girls, for that matter) wear nice dresses that don't involve pink? How about a nice yellow or (gasp!) blue sash or bow instead?

I don't see that this is anything groundbreaking, although maybe in her immediate circle of friends this will change things. There's already plenty of appropriate clothes on the market for the young girls. In the article I see she says she "couldn't find" anything; I assume that means couldn't find anything at a specific (high) price point in a very few select boutiques, because the upscale baby boutiques in the LA area do (and did) indeed have extensive selections of non "bratz" clothes for the younger girls. It would be great if she could successfully tackle the slightly older girl clothing options, though, because that's where the major problems with appropriate options start.

I don't have a girl, but if I do what I'd really like is a greater variety of more affordable clothes that aren't all in pink or with overly-cutesy appliques. I have nothing against pink, but what's wrong with a little variety?

Old 10-25-2009, 11:38 PM

37,135 posts, read 42,222,200 times
I haven't seen too many kids the ages of those in the OP dressing "trashy". Not saying stupid parents wouldn't do it, just that it's NOT the norm anywhere I've ever been. Neither is puffy pink bows and whatnot, thank goodness.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Parenting